- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Optimization of a Crystallization Process by Response Surface Methodology
반응표면분석법을 이용한 결정화 공정의 최적화
- Received : 2015.10.08
- Accepted : 2015.11.02
- Published : 2015.12.10
Cyclotrimethylene trinitramine (RDX) is a high explosive commonly used for military applications. Submicronization of RDX particles has been a critical issue in order to alleviate the unintended and accidental stimuli toward safer and more powerful performances. The purpose of this study is to optimize experimental variables for drowning-out crystallization applied to produce submicron RDX particles. Effects of RDX concentration, anti-solvent temperature and anti-solvent mass were analyzed by the central composite rotatable design. The adjusted determination coefficient of regression model was calculated to be 0.9984 having the p-value less than 0.01. Response surface plots based on the central composite rotatable design determined the optimum conditions such as RDX concentration of 3 wt%, anti-solvent temperature of
cyclotrimethylene trinitramine;drowning-out;central composite rotatable design
- S. M. Walley, J. E. Field, and M. W. Greenaway, Crystal Sensitivities of Energetic Materials, Mater. Sci. Technol., 22(4), 402-413 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1179/174328406X91122
- J. T. Essel, Processing Energetic Materials with Supercritical Fluid Precipitation Techniques, Ph.D., Dissertation, Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA (2012).
- J. Liu, W. Jiang, Q. Yang, J. Song, G. Z. Hao, and F. S. Li, Study of Nano-nitramine Explosives: Preparation, Sensitivity and Application, Def. Technol., 10(2), 184-189 (2014). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dt.2014.04.002
- V. J. Bellitto, M. I. Melnik, D. N. Sorensen, and J. C. Chang, Predicting the Shock Sensitivity of Cyclotrimethylene-trinitramine, J. Therm. Anal. and Calorim., 102, 557-562 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-010-0978-3
- R. W. Armstrong, C. S. Coffey, V. F. DeVost, and W. L. Elban, Crystal Size Dependence for Impact Initiation of Cyclotrimethylenetrinitramine Explosive, J. Appl. Phys., 68(3), 979-984 (1990). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.346664
- P. Tao, D. C. He, and G. G. Xu, Study on the Preparation of Ultrafine RDX Using the Technology of High-speed Impinging Streams, Initiat. Pyrotech., 4, 23-30 (2004).
- A. M. Pennie, The Preparation of a Crystalline High Explosive of Controlled Particle Size by Precipitation with Water from Acetone Solution, Can. J. Chem. Eng., 36(2), 78-81 (1958). https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.5450360205
- R. Patel, P. Cook, C. Crane, P. Redner, D. Kapoor, H. Grau, and A. Gandzelko, Production and Coating of Nano-RDX Using Wet Milling, NDIA Insensitive Munitions and Energetic Materials Technology Symposium, October 15-18, Miami, USA (2007).
- V. Stepanov, Production of Nanocrystalline RDX by RESS: Process Development and Materials Characterization, Ph.D. Dissertation, New Jersey Institute of Technology, New Jersey, USA (2008).
- D. Spitzer, C. Baras, M. R. Schafer, F. Ciszek, and B. Siegert, Continuous Crystallization of Submicrometer Energetic Compounds, Propell. Explos. Pyrot., 36(1), 65-74 (2011).
- Y. V. Frolov, A. N. Pivkina, P. A. Ul'yanova, and S. A. Zav'yalov, Synthesis of Energy-Rich Nanomaterials, Combust. Explo. Shock Waves, 38(6), 709-713 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021104714435
- H. Masuhara, H. Nakanishi, and K. Sasaki, Single Organic Nanoparticles, 17-31, Springer-Verlag, New York, USA (2003).
- X. Song and F. Li, Dependence of Particle Size and Size Distribution on Mechanical Sensitivity and Thermal Stability of Hexahydro-1,3,5-Trinitro-1,3,5-Triazine, Def. Sci. J., 59(1), 37-42 (2009). https://doi.org/10.14429/dsj.59.1482
- H. Chen, H. Ma, Y. Pei, D. Liu, and C. Lu, The Preparing Technology and Mechanical Sensitivity of Nanometer RDX, J. Ball, 15(3), 11-18 (2003).
- S. H. Park, Modern Design of Experiments, 521-571, Minyoug Pub., Seoul, Republic of Korea (2011).
- S. E. Lee, H. M. Shim, J. K. Kim, S. K. Han, K. D. Lee, J. S. Chae, and K. K. Koo, Preparation of spherical molecular explosive nanoparticles by solvent/anti-solvent crystallization, Theory Appl. Chem. Eng., 20(2), 1468 (2014).
- X. Guan and H. Yao, Optimization of Viscozyme L-assisted Extraction of Oat Bran Protein Using Response Surface Methodology, Food Chem., 106, 345-351 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.05.041
- R. M. O'Brien, A Caution Regarding Rules of Thumb for Variance Inflation Factors, Qual. Quant., 41, 673-690 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-006-9018-6
- I. H. Yoon and S. Y. Lee, Modern Statistics, 344-349, Samyoung Publishing Corp., Seoul, Republic of Korea (1997).
- D. L. Pavia, G. M. Lampman, and G. S. Kriz, Introduction to Spectroscopy : A Guide for Students of Organic Chemistry, 2nd Ed., 63-71, Harcourt Brace & Company, Orlando, USA (1996).
- R. J. Karpowicz, S. T. Sergio, and T. B. Brill, b-Polymorph of hexahydro-1,3,5-trinitro-s-triazine. A Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy Study of an Energetic Material, Ind. Eng. Chem. Prod. Res. Dev., 22, 363-365 (1983). https://doi.org/10.1021/i300010a038
- M. Herrmann and H. Fietzek, Investigation of the Micro-structure of Energetic Crystals by means of X-ray Powder Diffraction, Powder Diffr., 20(2), 105-108 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1154/1.1913709
- M. Herrmann and M. A. Bohn, Aging of RDX Crystals Investigated by X-ray Diffraction, IM & EM Technical Symposium, October 7-10, San Diego, USA (2013).