- Volume 9 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Seismic response prediction and modeling considerations for curved and skewed concrete box-girder bridges
- Ramanathan, Karthik ;
- Jeon, Jong-Su ;
- Zakeri, Behzad ;
- DesRoches, Reginald ;
- Padgett, Jamie E.
- Received : 2015.01.08
- Accepted : 2015.10.30
- Published : 2015.12.25
This paper focuses on presenting modeling considerations and insight into the performance of typical straight, curved, and skewed box-girder bridges in California which form the bulk of the bridge inventory in the state. Three case study bridges are chosen: Meloland Road Overpass, Northwest Connector of Interstate 10/215 Interchange, and Painter Street Overpass, having straight, curved, and skewed superstructures, respectively. The efficacy of nonlinear dynamic analysis is established by comparing the response from analytical models to the recorded strong motion data. Finally insights are provided on the component behavioral characteristics and shift in vulnerability for each of the bridge types considered.
straight, curved, skewed box-girder bridge;numerical model;model validation;component behavior;fragility
- Huang, M.J. and Shakal, A.F. (1995), "CSMIP strong-motion instrumentation and records from the I10/215 interchange bridge near San Bernardino", Earthq. Spectra, 11(2), 193-215. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585811
- Kaviani, P., Zareian, F. and Sarraf, M. (2010), "Comparison of seismic response of skewed bridges to near vs. far field motions", 7th International Conference on Urban Earthquake Engineering & 5th International Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo, Japan.
- Kwon, O.-S. and Elnashai, A.S. (2008), "Seismic analysis of Meloland Road Overcrossing using multiplatform simulation software including SSI", J. Struct. Eng., 134(4), 651-660. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:4(651)
- Liu, W.D., Kartoum, A., Dhillon, S., Chen, X. and Imbsen, R.A. (1996), "Implications of the strong-motion records from a retrofitted curved bridge on seismic design and performance", SMIP96 Seminar on Seismological and Engineering Implications of Recent Strong-Motion Data, California Geological Survey, pp. 71-88.
- Ljung, L. (1987), "System identification", Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Lupoi, A., Franchin, P., Pinto, P.E. and Monti, G. (2005), "Seismic design of bridges accounting for spatial variability of ground motion", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 34(4-5), 10-25.
- McCallen, D.B. and Romstad, K.M. (1994), "Dynamic analyses of a skewed short-span, box-girder overpass", Earthq. Spectra, 100(4), 729-755.
- Ma, Y. and Deng, N. (2000), Deep foundations, in Bridge Engineering Handbook, eds., W.-F. Chen and L. Duan, CRC Press LLC.
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng., 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Maroney, B., Romstad, K. and Chajes, M. (1990), "Interpretation of Rio Dell freeway response during six recorded earthquake events", 4th US National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 1, Palm Springs, CA.
- Maroney, B., Kutter, B., Romstad, K., Chai, Y.H. and Vanderbilt, E. (1994), "Interpretation of large scale bridge abutment test results", 3rd Annual Seismic Research Workshop, Sacramento, CA.
- McKenna, F., Scott, M.H. and Fenves, G.L. (2010), "Nonlinear finite-element analysis software architecture using object composition", J. Comput. Civ. Eng., 24(1), 95-107. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000002
- Medina, R.A. and Krawinkler, H. (2003), "Seismic demands for nondeteriorating frame structures and their dependence on ground motions", John A. Blume Earthquake Engineering Center, Stanford University, CA, Report No. 144.
- Goel, R.K. and Chopra, A.K. (1997), "Evaluation of bridge abutment capacity and stiffness during earthquakes", Earthq. Spectra, 13(1), 1-23. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585929
- Haddadi, H., Shakal, A., Stephens, C., Savage, W., Huang, M., Leith, W., Parrish, J. and Borcherdt, R. (2008), "Center for Engineering Strong-Motion Data (CESMD)", 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Basoz, N. and Kiremidjian, A. (1998), "Evaluation of bridge damage data from the Loma Prieta and Northridge, California earthquakes", Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Research, University at Buffalo, NY, Technical Report MCEER-98-0004.
- Bignell, J.L., LaFave, J.M. and Hawkins, N.M. (2005), "Seismic vulnerability assessment of wall pier supported highway bridges using nonlinear pushover analyses", Eng. Struct., 27(14), 2044-2063. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.06.015
- Bjornsson S., Stanton L. and Eberhard M. (1998), Seismic response of skew bridges", 6th U.S. National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Seattle, WA.
- Buckle, I.G., Friedland, I., Mander, J., Martin, G., Nutt, R. and Power, M. (2006), "Seismic retrofitting manual for highway structures: Part 1-bridges", Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Research, University at Buffalo, NY, Technical Report MCEER-06-SP10.
- Caltrans (2010), "Seismic design criteria version 1.6", California Department of Transportation, Division of Engineering Services, Office of Structure Design, Sacramento, CA.
- Abdel-Mohti, A. and Pekcan, G. (2008), "Seismic response of skewed RC box-girder bridges", Earthq. Eng. Eng. Vib., 7(4), 415-426. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-008-1007-4
- ACI (2008), "Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-08) and commentary", American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Choi, E. (2002), "Seismic analysis and retrofit of Mid-America bridges", Ph.D. Dissertation, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta.
- DesRoches, R. and Fenves, G.L. (1997), "Evaluation of recorded earthquake response of a curved highway bridge", Earthq. Spectra, 13(3), 363-386. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585953
- Dimitrakopoulos, E.G. (2010), "Analysis of a frictional oblique impact observed in skew bridges", Nonlinear Dyn., 60, 575-595. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11071-009-9616-7
- Douglas, B.M. and Richardson, J. (1984), "Maximum amplitude tests of a highway bridge", 8th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, San Francisco, CA.
- Douglas, B.M. Maragakis, E A., Vrontino, S. and Douglas, B.J. (1990), "Analytical studies of the static and dynamic response of the Meloland Road Overcrossing", 4th US National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 1, Palm Springs, CA.
- Fenves, G.L., Filippou, F.C. and Sze, D.T. (1992), "Response of the Dumbarton Bridge in the Loma Prieta earthquake", Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA, Report No. UCB/EERC-92/02.
- Fenves, G.L. and Ellery, M. (1998), "Behavior and failure analysis of a multiple-frame highway bridge in the 1994 Northridge earthquake", Pacific Earthquake Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA, Report No. PEER 98/08.
- Gates, J.H. and Smith, M.J. (1982), "Verification of dynamic modeling method by prototype excitation", California Department of Transportation, Office of Structures Design, Sacramento, CA, Report No. FHWA/CA/SD-82/07.
- Werner, S.D., Beck, J.L. and Levine, M.B. (1987), "Seismic response evaluation of Meloland Road Overpass using 1979 Imperial Valley earthquake records", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 15(2), 249-274. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290150207
- Wilson, J.C. and Tan, B.S. (1990a), "Bridge abutments: formulation of simple model for earthquake response analysis", J. Eng. Mech., 116(8), 1828-1837. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1990)116:8(1828)
- Wilson, J.C. and Tan, B.S. (1990b), "Bridge abutments: assessing their influence on earthquake response of Meloland Road Overpass", J. Eng. Mech., 116(8), 1838-1856. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1990)116:8(1838)
- Yashinsky, M. and Ostrom, T. (2000), "Caltrans' new seismic design criteria for bridges", Earthq. Spectra, 16(1), 285-307. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1586112
- Zhang, J. and Makris, N. (2002), "Seismic response analysis of highway overcrossings including soil structure interaction", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(11), 1967-1991. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.197
- Megally, S.H., Silva, P.F. and Seible, F. (2002), "Seismic response of sacrificial shear keys in bridge abutments", Dept. of Structural Engineering, University of California, San Diego, CA, Report No. SSRP-200l/23.
- Meng, J.Y. and Lui, E.M. (2000), "Seismic analysis and assessment of a skew highway bridge", Eng. Struct., 22(11), 1433-1452. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(99)00097-8
- Moehle J., Fenves, G., Mayes, R., Priestley, N., Seible, F., Uang, C.-M., Werner, S. and Aschheim, M. (1995), "Highway bridges and traffic management", Earthq. Spectra, 11(S2), 287-372. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585851
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of seismic isolated structures: from theory to practice, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Muthukumar, S. and DesRoches, R. (2006), "A Hertz contact model with non-linear damping for pounding simulation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(7), 811-828. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.557
- Oppenheim, A.V. and Schafer, R.W. (1989), Discrete-time signal processing, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Padgett, J.E. and DesRoches, R. (2008), "Methodology for the development of analytical fragility curves for retroffited bridges", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(8), 1157-1174. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.801
- Pandit, S.M. (1991), Modal and spectrum analysis, John Wiley, New York.
- Priestley, M.J.N., Seible, F. and Calvi, G.M. (1996), Seismic design and retrofit of bridges, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- Priestley, M.J.N., Seible, F., Xiao, Y. and Verma, R. (1994), "Steel jacket retroffiting of reinforced concrete bridge columns for enhanced shear strength-Part 1: theoretical considerations and test design", ACI Struct. J., 91(4), 394-404.
- Ramanathan, K., DesRoches, R. and Padgett, J.E. (2010), "Analytical fragility curves for multispan continuous steel girder bridges in moderate seismic zones", J. Trans. Res. Board, 2202(3), 173-182. https://doi.org/10.3141/2202-21
- Ramanathan, K., DesRoches, R. and Padgett, J.E. (2011), "A comparison of pre-and post-seismic design considerations on moderate seismic zones through the fragility assessment of multispan bridge classes", Eng. Struct., 45, 559-573.
- Romstad, K., Kutter, B., Maroney, B., Vanderbilt, E., Griggs, M. and Chai, Y.H. (1995), "Experimental measurements of bridge abutment behavior", University of California, Davis, CA, Report No. UCD-STR-95-1.
- Shamsabadi, A., Khalili-Tehrani, P., Stewart, J.P. and Taciroglu, E. (2010), "Validated simulation models for lateral response of bridge abutments with typical backfills", J. Bridge Eng., 15(3), 302-311. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000058
- Stewart, J.P., Taciroglu, E., Wallace, J.W., Ahlberg, E.R., Lemnitzer, A., Rha, C., Tehrani, P.K., Keowan, S., Nigbor, R.L. and Salamanca, A. (2007), "Full scale cyclic testing of foundation support systems for highway bridges. Part II: Abutment backwalls", University of California, Los Angeles, CA, Report No. UCLA-SGEL-2007/02.
- Sweet, J. and Morrill, K.B. (1993), "Nonlinear soil-structure interaction simulation of the Painter Street Overcrossing", 2nd Annual CALTRANS Seismic Research Workshop, Sacramento, CA.
- Seismic performance of single pier skewed bridges with different pier-deck connections vol.10, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.10.6.1467
- Impact of Spatial Variability Parameters on Seismic Fragilities of a Cable-Stayed Bridge Subjected to Differential Support Motions vol.22, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001046
- Skew Adjustment Factors for Fragilities of California Box-Girder Bridges Subjected to near-Fault and Far-Field Ground Motions vol.24, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001338