- Volume 9 Issue 6
The purpose of this study is to evaluate the seismic performance of high-rise reinforced concrete (RC) box-type wall structures commonly used for most residential buildings in Korea. For this purpose, an analytical model was calibrated with the results of the earthquake simulation tests on a 1:5 scale 10-story distorted model. This calibrated model was then transformed to a true model. The performance of the true model in terms of the stiffness, strength, and damage distribution through inelastic energy dissipation was observed with reference to the earthquake simulation test results. The model showed high overstrength factors ranging from 3 to 4. The existence of slab in this box-type wall system changed the main resistance mode in the wall from bending moment to tension/compression coupled moment through membrane actions, and increased the overall resistance capacity by about 25~35%, in comparison with the common design practice of neglecting the slab's existence. The flexibility of foundation, which is also commonly neglected in the engineering design, contributes to 30~50% of the roof drift in the stiff direction containing many walls. The possibility of concrete spalling and reinforcement buckling and fracture under the maximum considered earthquake (MCE) in Korea appears to be very low when compared with the case of the 2010 Concepcion, Chile earthquake.
reinforced concrete;earthquake simulation test;wall;slab;membrane action
- ACI (1995), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete, ACI 318-95, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- AIK (2001), AIK 2000, Architectural Institute of Korea, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
- AIK (2005), Korean Building Code, KBC 2005, Architectural Institute of Korea, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean)
- Balkaya, C. and Kalkan, E. (2003), "Estimation of fundamental periods of shear-wall dominant building structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 32(7), 985-998. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.258
- Balkaya, C. and Kalkan, E. (2004), "Seismic vulnerability, behavior and design of tunnel form building structures", Eng. Struct., 26(14), 2081-2099. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.07.005
Boroschek, R., Soto, P. and Leon, R. (2010), Maule Region Earthquake February 27, 2010,
$M_w$=8.8, Renadic Report 10/08 Rev.2, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile.
- CSA. (2004), Design of concrete structures, CSA A23.3-04. Canadian Standards Association, Rexdale, Ontario, Canada.
- CSI (2011), Components and Elements for PERFORM 3D and PERFORM-Collapse Ver. 5, Computers and Structures Inc., Berkeley, CA.
- ASCE (2006), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, ASCE/SEI 7-05, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA.
- ASCE (2014), Seismic Evaluation and Retrofit of Existing Buildings, ASCE/SEI 41-13, American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA.
- ICC (2000), International Building Code, IBC 2000, International Code Council, Country Club Hills, IL.
- Kalkan, E. and Yuksel, S.B. (2008), "Pros and cons of multistory RC tunnel-form (box-type) buildings", Struct. Des. Tall Spec. Build., 17(3), 601-617. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.368
- Kam, W.Y., Pampanin, S. and Elwood, K. (2011), "Seismic performance of reinforced concrete buildings in the 22 February Christchurch (Lyttelton) earthquake", Bull. NZ. Soc. Earthq. Eng., 44(4), 239-278.
- Korea National Statistical Office (KNSO) (2010), Population and Housing Census. (in Korean)
- Kunnath, S.K., Panahshahi, N. and Reinhorn, A.M. (1991), "Seismic response of RC buildings with inelastic floor diaphragms", J. Struct. Eng., 117(4), 1218-1237. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1991)117:4(1218)
- Lee, D.G., Kim, H.S. and Hah, C.M. (2002), "Efficient seismic analysis of high-rise building structures with the effects of floor slabs", Eng. Struct., 24(5), 613-623. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00126-2
- Lee, H.S. and Woo, S.W. (2002), "Effect of masonry infills on seismic performance of a 3-storey R/C frame with non-seismic detailing", Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 31(2), 353-378. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.112
- Lee, H.S., Lee, J.J. and Jung, D.W. (2008), "Analytical simulation of shake-table responses of a torsionallyeccentric piloti-type high-rise RC building model", Proceedings of the 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Lee, H.S., Jeong, D.H. and Hwang, K.R. (2012a), "Analytical simulation of reversed cyclic lateral behaviors of an RC shear wall sub-assemblage", Comput. Concrete, 10(2), 173-196. https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2012.10.2.173
- Lee, H.S., Hwang, S.J., Lee, K.B., Kang, C.B., Lee, S.H. and Oh, S.H. (2012b), "Earthquake Simulation Tests on a 1:5 Scale 10-Story RC Residential Building Model", Proceedings of the 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. Lisbon, Portugal.
- Massone, L.M., Bonelli, P., Lagos, R., Luders, C., Moehle, J. and Wallace, J.W. (2012), "Seismic design and construction practices for RC structural wall buildings", Earthq. Spectra, 28(S1), S245-S256. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.4000046
- Moehle, J.P., Acevedo, C. and Creagh, A. (2010), "Exploratory tests of wall boundary elements subjected to alternating tensile and compressive loadings", Poster and oral presentations at 2010 PEER Annual Meeting.
- NIST (2012), Soil-Structure Interaction for Building Structures, GCR 12-917-21, prepared by the NEHRP Consultants Joint Venture, a partnership of the Applied Technology Council and the Consortium of Universities for Research in Earthquake Engineering, for National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, Maryland.
- Panagiotou, M., Restrepo, J.I. and Conte, J.P. (2010), "Shake-table test of a full-scale 7-story building slice. Phase I: Rectangular wall", J. Struct. Eng., 137(6), 691-704.
- Tuna, Z. and Wallace, J.W. (2014), "Collapse Assessment of the Alto Rio Building in the 2010 Chile Earthquake", Earthq. Spectra, In-Press (Published Online: April 15, 2014).
- Yuksel, S.B. and Kalkan, E. (2007), "Behavior of tunnel form buildings under quasi-static cyclic lateral loading", Struct. Eng. Mech., 27(1), 99-115. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2007.27.1.099
- Wallace, J.W. (2010), "Performance-based design of tall reinforced concrete core wall buildings", Earthquake Engineering in Europe, 279-307, Springer, Netherlands.
- Wallace, J.W., Massone, L.M., Bonelli, P., Dragovich, J., Lagos, R., Luders, C. and Moehle, J. (2012), "Damage and implications for seismic design of RC structural wall buildings", Earthq. Spectra, 28(S1), S281-S299. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.4000047
- Seismic Fragility Analysis of High-Rise RC Box-Type Wall Building Structures vol.20, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5000/EESK.2016.20.3.155