- Volume 9 Issue 6
The self-centering prestressed concrete (SCPC) bridge pier with external dissipators is a novel structure, aiming at reducing residual deformation and facilitating the post-earthquake repair. This paper presents the configuration and mechanical behaviors of the pier. A theoretical model for the lateral force-displacement relationship under cyclic loading is developed. The proposed model comprises an iterative procedure which describes the deformation of dissipators under different conditions. Equations of pier stiffness after gap opening, as well as the equivalent viscous damping ratio, etc., are derived based on the proposed model. Existing cyclic load test results were used to validate the proposed model, and good agreement is observed between the analytical and test results.
theoretical analysis;self-centering;concrete pier;external dissipators
- Braga, F., Gigliotti, R. and Laterza, M. (2006), "Analytical stress-strain relationship for concrete confined by steel stirrups and/or FRP jackets ", J. Struct. Eng., 132(9), 1402-1416. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:9(1402)
- Chou, C.C. and Chen, Y. (2006), "Cyclic tests of PT precast CFT segmental bridge columns with unbonded strands", J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 35(2), 159-175. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.512
- Chou, C.C. and Hsu, C.P. (2008), "Hysteretic model development and seismic response of unbonded PT precast CFT segmental bridge columns", J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 37(6), 919-934 https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.796
- Dawood, H.M. and ElGawady, M. (2013), "Performance-based seismic design of unbonded precast PT concrete filled GFRP tube piers", Compos. Part B: Eng., 44(1), 357-367. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2012.04.065
- ElGawady, M., Booker, A.J. and Dawood, H.M. (2010), "Seismic behavior of posttensioned concrete-filled fiber tubes", J. Compos. Constr., 14(5), 616-628. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000107
- Guo, Jia, Xin Ke, Gui and He Ming, Hua (2012), "Experimental study and analysis on the seismic performance of a self-centering bridge pier", J. Eng. Mech., 29(Sup 1), 29-34. (in Chinese)
- Guo, T., Cao, Z.L., Xu, Z.K. and Lu, S. (2015), "Cyclic load tests on self-centering concrete pier with external dissipators and enhanced durability", J. Struct. Eng., doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001357. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001357
- Hewes, J.T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (2002), "Seismic design and performance of precast concrete segmental bridge columns", Rep. No. SSRP-2001/25, University of California at San Diego, USA.
- Kawashima, K., MacRae, G.A., Hoshikuma, J.I. and Nagaya, K. (1998), "Residual displacement response spectrum", J. Struct. Eng., 124(5), 523-530. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1998)124:5(523)
- Kurama, Y.C., Weldon, B.D. and Shen, Q. (2006), "Experimental evaluation of posttensioned hybrid coupled wall subassemblages", J. Struct. Eng., 132(7), 1017-1029. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2006)132:7(1017)
- Mander, J.B. and Cheng, C.T. (1997), "Seismic resistance of bridge piers based on damage avoidance design", Technical Report NCEER-97-0014 (National Centre for Earth. Eng. Research), State University of New York, Buffalo.
- Marriott, D., Pampanin, S. and Palermo, A. (2009), "Quasi static and pseudo dynamic testing of unbonded post tensioned rocking bridge piers with external replaceable dissipators", J. Earthq. Eng. Struct. Dyn., 38(3), 331-354. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.857
- AASHTO (2011), Guide Specifications for LRFD Seismic Bridge Design, Washington: American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials.
- ACI 318-11 (2011), Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete (ACI 318-11) and Commentary (ACI 318R-11), American Concrete Institute, USA.
- New Zealand Standards (NZS) (2006), "Appendix B: Special provisions for the seismic design of ductile jointed precast concrete structural systems", NZS 3101:2006, Concrete standard, Wellington, New Zealand.
- Stanton, J., Stone, W.C. and Cheok, G.S. (1997), "A hybrid reinforced precast frame for seismic regions", J. PCI, 42(2), 20-32.
- Palermo, A., Pampanin, S. and Calvi, G.M. (2005), "Concept and development of hybrid solutions for seismic resistant bridge systems", J. Earthq. Eng., 9(6), 899-921.
- Palermo, A., Pampanin, S. and Marriott, D. (2007), "Design, modeling, and experimental response of seismic resistant bridge piers with posttensioned dissipating connections", J. Struct. Eng., 133(11), 648-1661.
- Palermo, A., Pampanin, S. and Buchanan, A.H. (2006), "Experimental investigations on LVL seismic resistant wall and frame subassemblies", First European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Pampanin, Priestley and Sritharan (2001), "Analytical modeling of the seismic behavior of precast concrete frames designed with ductile connections", J. Earthq. Eng., 5(3), 329-367.
- Priestley, M.J.N. and Tao, J.R. (1993), "Seismic response of precast prestressed concrete frames with partially debonded tendons", PCI J., 38(1), 58-67.
- Ou, Y.C. (2007), "Precast segmental PT concrete bridge columns for seismic regions", Ph.D. Dissertation, State University of New York.
- Ou, Y.C., Chiewanichakorn, M., Aref, A.J. and Lee, G.C. (2007), "Seismic performance of segmental precast unbonded posttensioned concrete bridge columns", J. Struct. Eng., 133(11), 1636-1647. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:11(1636)
- Ou, Y.C., Wang, P.H., Tsai, M.S., Chang, K.C. and Lee, G.C. (2009), "Large-scale experimental study of precast segmental unbonded posttensioned concrete bridge columns for seismic regions", J. Struct. Eng., 136(3), 255-264.
- Ozden, S. and Ertas, O. (2010), "Modeling of pre-cast concrete hybrid connections by considering the residual deformations", Int. J. Physic. Sci., 5(6), 781-792.
- Pampanin, S., Nigel Priestley, M.J. and Sritharan, S. (2001), "Analytical modeling of the seismic behavior of precast concrete frames designed with ductile connections", J. Earthq. Eng., 5(3), 329-367.
- Scott, B.D., Park, R. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1982), "Stress-strain behavior of concrete confined by overlapping hoops at low and high strain rates", ACI J., 79(1), 13-27.
- Sritharan, S., Aaleti, S. and Thomas, D.J. (2007), "Seismic analysis and design of precast concrete jointed wall systems", ISU-ERI-Ames report, Ames (Iowa): Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University.
- Takeda, T., Sozen, M.A. and Nielsen, N.N. (1970), "Reinforced concrete response to simulated earthquakes", J. Struct. Div., 96(12), 2557-2573.
- Fragility analysis of self-centering prestressed concrete bridge pier with external aluminum dissipators vol.20, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433216673376
- Experiments on prefabricated segmental bridge piers with continuous longitudinal reinforcing bars vol.132, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.11.070
- Hysteretic behavior studies of self-centering energy dissipation bracing system vol.20, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2016.20.6.1205
- Analytical Study of Force–Displacement Behavior and Ductility of Self-centering Segmental Concrete Columns vol.11, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40069-017-0209-4
Supported by : Natural Science Foundation of China