- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Influences of Shoe Heel Height on Isometric Shoulder Abductor Strength and EMG Activities of Selected Shoulder Muscles
신발 뒤굽 높이가 등척성 어깨 외전 근력과 근전도 활동에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.02.10
- Accepted : 2015.03.24
- Published : 2015.05.31
PURPOSE: The objective of this study was to identify the effects of shoulder abduction strength and EMG activities of the selected scapular and shoulder muscles during isometric shoulder abduction. METHODS: Thirty-four healthy young females were recruited for this study. Surface EMG equipment with inline force sensor was used to determine the shoulder abductor strength and the activity of the serratus anterior (SA), upper trapezius (UT), lower trapezius (LT), and middle deltoid (MD) during three shoe heel height conditions: (1) barefoot, (2) 3-cm shoe heel height, and (3) 7-cm shoe heel height. RESULTS: Isometric shoulder strength showed statistically significant difference among the conditions (p<0.05), and post-hoc test showed lower strength during the 7-cm condition (
Shoe heel height;Abductor strength;Shoulder muscles;EMG activities
- Arlotta M, Lovasco G, McLean L. Selective recruitment of the lower fibers of the trapezius muscle. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2011;21(3):403-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2010.11.006
- Borstad JD. Resting position variables at the shoulder: Evidence to support a posture-impairment association. Phys Ther. 2006;86(4):549-57.
- Cools AM, Dewitte V, Lanszweert F, et al. Rehabilitation of scapular muscle balance: Which exercises to prescribe? Am J Sports Med. 2007;35(10):1744-51. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546507303560
- Cram JR, Kasman GS, Holtz J. Introduction to Surface Electromyography. Gaithersburg. Aspen Publishers. 1998.
- Crosbie J, Kilbreath SL, Hollmann L, et al. Scapulohumeral rhythm and associated spinal motion. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2008;23(2):184-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2007.09.012
- Cynn HS, Oh JS, Kwon OY, et al. Effects of lumbar stabilization using a pressure biofeedback unit on muscle activity and lateral pelvic tilt during hip abduction in sidelying. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2006;87(11):1454-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2006.08.327
- De Mey K, Danneels L, Cagnie B, et al. Kinetic chain influences on upper and lower trapezius muscle activation during eight variations of a scapular retraction exercise in overhead athletes. J Sci Med Sport. 2013;16(1):65-70. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsams.2012.04.008
- Gefen A, Megido-Ravid M, Itzchak Y, et al. Analysis of muscular fatigue and foot stability during high-heeled gait. Gait Posture. 2002;15(1):56-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(01)00180-1
- Gerber SB, Costa RV, Grecco LA, et al. Interference of high-heeled shoes in static balance among young women. Hum Mov Sci. 2012;31(5):1247-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2012.02.005
- Hermens HJ, Freriks B, Disselhorst-Klug C, et al. Development of recommendations for SEMG sensors and sensor placement procedures. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2000;10(5):361-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1050-6411(00)00027-4
- Hsu YH, Chen WY, Lin HC, et al. The effects of taping on scapular kinematics and muscle performance in baseball players with shoulder impingement syndrome. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009;19(6):1092-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2008.11.003
- Jang HJ, Kim SY, Oh DW. Effects of augmented trunk stabilization with external compression support on shoulder and scapular muscle activity and maximum strength during isometric shoulder abduction. Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2014 [Epub ahead of print].
- Kebaetse M1, McClure P, Pratt NA. Thoracic position effect on shoulder range of motion, strength, and three-dimensional scapular kinematics. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1999;80(8):945-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(99)90088-6
- Kibler WB, Press J, Sciascia A. The role of core stability in athletic function. Sports Med. 2006;36(3):189-98. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200636030-00001
- Kim HH, Song CH. Effects of Shoe Heel Height on the Onset of VMO Relative to VL and VMO/VL EMG Ratio during Stair Ascent in Women without Knee Pathology. J Kor Soc Phys Med. 2011;6(2):135-43.
- Kim MH, Yi CH, Yoo WG, et al. EMG and kinematics analysis of the trunk and lower extremity during the sit-to stand task while wearing shoes with different heel heights in healthy young women. Hum Mov Sci. 2011;30(3):596-605. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2010.09.003
- Kim YJ, Koo JW, Oh DW. Influence of Shoe Heel Height and Muscle Fatigue on Static and Dynamic Balance in Healthy Young Women. Phys Ther Kor 2013;20(3):36-44.
- Lee CM, Jeong EH, Freivalds A. Biomechanical effects of wearing high-heeled shoes. Int J Indust Ergonom. 2001;28(6):321-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(01)00038-5
- Lee LJ, Coppieters MW, Hodges PW. Anticipatory postural adjustments to arm movement reveal complex control of paraspinal muscles in the thorax. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009;19(1):46-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2007.06.015
- Lee KH, Shieh JC, Matteliano A, et al. Electromyographic changes of leg muscles with heel lifts in women:Therapeutic implications. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1990;71(1):31-3.
- Ludewig PM, Cook TM. Alterations in shoulder kinematics and associated muscle activity in people with symptoms of shoulder impingement. Phys Ther. 2000;80(3):276-91.
- McQuade KJ, Dawson J, Smidt GL. Scapulothoracic muscle fatigue associated with alterations in scapulohumeral rhythm kinematics during maximum resistive shoulder elevation. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998;28(2):74-80. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1922.214.171.124
- Myer TW. Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians and Movement Therapists(3rded) Italy. Churchill Livingstone. 2014.
- Neumann DA. Shoulder complex. In: Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System: Foundations for Rehabilitation(2nd ed). St. Louis. Mosby. 2010.
- Oh DW, Chon SC, Shim JH. Effect of shoe heel height on standing balance and muscle activation of ankle joint. J Ergon Soc Kor. 2010;29(5):789-95. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2010.29.5.789
- Ryu JS. Effects of high-heeled shoe with different height on the balance during standing and walking. Kor J Sports Biomech. 2010;20(4):479-86. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2010.20.4.479
- Schuldt K, Ekholm J, Harms-Ringdahl K, et al. Influence of sitting postures on neck and shoulder e.m.g. during arm-hand work movements. Clin Biomech (Bristol Avon). 1987;2(3):126-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/0268-0033(87)90003-9
- Simonsen EB, Svendsen MB, Norreslet A, et al. Walking on high heels changes muscle activity and the dynamics of human walking significantly. J Appl Biomech. 2012;28(1):20-8. https://doi.org/10.1123/jab.28.1.20
- Snow RE, Williams KR. High heeled shoes: their effect on center of mass position, posture, three-dimensional kinematics, rearfoot motion, and ground reaction forces. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1994;75(5):568-76.
- Struyf F, Nijs J, Baeyens JP, et al. Scapular positioning and movement in unimpaired shoulders, shoulder impingement syndrome, and glenohumeral instability. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2011;21(3):352-8. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2010.01274.x
- Vizniak NA, Richer P. Quick reference evidence based muscle manual. Vancouver. Professional Health Systems. 2011.
- Vleeming A, Mooney V, Stoeckart R. Movement, stability and lumbopelvic pain. Integration of research and therapy. New York. Churchill Livingstone. 2007.
- Wong CK. On "Resting position variables ..." Borstad. Phys Ther. 2006;86:1442-3. https://doi.org/10.2522/ptj.2006.86.10.1442
- Yoon JY. Influence of Heel Insole and Visual Control on Body Sway Index with High-heeled Shoes. J Korean Soc Phys Med, 2014;9(4):407-13. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2014.9.4.407
Supported by : 청주대학교 보건의료과학연구소