- Volume 10 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Lumbar Stabilization Exercise on Muscle Activity and Isokinetic Muscle Strength of Female Patients with Chronic Low Back Pain
요부안정화 운동이 만성요통여성 환자의 근활성도와 등속성 근력에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.05.01
- Accepted : 2015.05.18
- Published : 2015.05.31
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study to investigate the effects of exercise on lumbar stabilization in muscle activity and isokinetic muscle strength of female with chronic low back pain. METHODS: The candidates was chose to twenty women in their 30s and 40s complaining back pain for over 12 weeks and consist of 10 people for lumbar stabilization and general physical therapy group(PL group), another 10 people for general physical therapy group(GP group). Lumbar stabilization exercise was conducted for 8 weeks and was comprised of 60 minutes for two times a week. In order to examine the effects of lumbar stabilization, results in the present study were analyzed maximal voluntary isometric contraction (MVIC) using electromyogram to measure muscle activity and isokinetic performance including peak torque and average power at the pre to post. RESULTS: The following are results in this study. The MVIC and isokinetic muscle strength were gradually increased in all group. As the result of the test of the MVIC and isokinetic muscle strength, the difference of lumbar stabilization and general physical therapy group is statistically more significant than that of general physical therapy group. CONCLUSION: In the present study, results indicate that lumbar stabilization helps to improve the muscle activity and isokinetic muscle strength.
Lumbar stabilization exercise;Muscle activity;Isokinetic muscle strength
- Behm, DG, Drinkwater EJ, Willardson JM, et al. The use of instability to train the core musculature. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2010;35(1):91-108. https://doi.org/10.1139/H09-127
- Cho YH. Effect of Isotonic Exercise Program and Core Exercise Program on Isokinetic Muscular Strength, Flexibility, Balance, and Visual Analog Scale of Teenage Soccer Player. Master's degree. Kyunghee University. 2010.
- Choi IA, Min SY. Interactive Effects of Muscle Coordination Change and Muscle Activation to Lumbar Stabilization Exercise in Modern Dancer's Musculoskeletal Disorders. Journal of Korean Society of Dance Science. 2013;30(3):159-73.
- Comerford MJ, Mottram SL. Functional stability retraining:principles and strategies for managing mechanical dysfuction. Man Ther. 2001;2(1):3-14.
- Craig L. Rehabilitation of the spine. Lippincott. Williams & Wilkins. 2000.
- Franca FR, Burke TN, Hanada ES, et al. Segmental stabilization and muscular strengthning in chronic low back pain:a comparative study. Clinics(Sao Paulo). 2010;65(10):1013-7.
- Houglum PA. Therapeutic exercise for athletic injuries. Champaign. Human kinetics. 2001.
- Kim JM, Lee CH. Neurological Physical Therapy. Seoul. Jungdam. 1997.
- Kim SY. Lumbo-pelvic stabilization approach for lower back dysfunction. Korea Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy. 1998;4(1):7-20.
- Lee JS. The effect of complex treatment of resistance exercise and lumbar stabilizing exercise on lumbar strength and pain degree in men with chronic lower back pain. Master's degree. Yougin University. 2012.
- Lee KB. The Effect of Lumbar Stabilization Exercise and Extension Exercise for Muscle Strength, Disability and Pain on Low Back Pain Patients. Master's degree. Sahmyook University. 2008.
- Lee SK. Effects of Core Exercise Program upon Lumbar Muscle Strength and Obesity. Master's thesis. Kosin University. 2009.
- McGill SM. Linking latest knowledge of injury mechanisms and spine function to the prevention of low back disorders. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2004:14(1);43-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2003.09.012
- Park CI, Moon JG, Kang SW, et al. Rehabilitation Medicine (2nd ed). Seoul. Hanmimedical. 2012.
- Park JH, Kim GJ, Kim DD, et al. The Physical Therapy of Musculoskeletal Diseases. Seoul. Hyunmoonsa. 2012.
- Yoon TL, Cynn HS, Choi SA, et al. Trunk Muscle Activation During Different Quadruped Stabilization Exercises in Individuals with Chronic Low Back Pain. Physiother Res Int. 2015;20(2)126-32. https://doi.org/10.1002/pri.1611
- Influence of Supplementary Verbal Encouragement According to the Gender on Abdominal Muscle Activation during Crunch Exercise in Healthy Subjects: A Cross-Sectional Pilot Study vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.1.15
- Comparison of the Activity of the Abductor Hallucis Muscle during Short-foot Exercises using Foot Orthosis and the Windlass Effect in Sitting and One-leg Standing Positions vol.12, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2017.12.1.75
Supported by : 김천대학교