- Volume 10 Issue 3
PURPOSE: This paper aims to present the available angle to evaluate the severity of forward head posture (FHP) with the observation method and photographic method. METHODS: A cross-sectional observation research design study consisted of 29 subjects who was divided two groups (slight FHP group, moderate FHP group) in Eulji university was used. We evaluated the FHP and the angles including CranioVertebral Angle (CVA), Head Tilting Angle (HTA), Head Position Angle (HPA) and Forward Shoulder Angle (FSA) with the Body style S-8.0 (South Korea, LU Commerce). RESULTS: The mean of CVA, FSA from the slight FHP group was shown higher than moderate severe FHP group. According to independent t-test result, but there was no difference among all angles in two groups. The linear discriminate analysis showed the size of distinction of FSA was the biggest, and then CVA, HTA and HPA were in the order. 55.6% of FSA is properly classified in the slight FHP group. CONCLUSION: The FSA is the best to distinguish the severity of FHP and then CVA as the second best. Therefore, FSA is recommended to check the FHP.
- Brink Y, Crous LC, Louw QA, et al. The association between postural alignment and psychosocial factors to upper quadrant pain in high school students: a prospective study. Man Ther. 2009;14(6):647-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2009.02.005
- Cheung Lau HM, Wing Chiu TT, Lam TH. Clinical measurement of craniovertebral angle by electronic head posture instrument: a test of reliability and validity. Man Ther. 2009;14(4):363-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2008.05.004
- Cuccia AM, Carola C. The measurement of craniocervical posture: a simple method to evaluate head position. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;73(12):1732-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijporl.2009.09.011
- do Rosario JL. Photographic analysis of human posture: a literature review. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2014;18(1): 56-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2013.05.008
- Gadotti I, Magee D. Validity of surface measurements to assess craniocervical posture in the sagittal plane: a critical review. Phys Ther Rev. 2008;13(4):258-68. https://doi.org/10.1179/174328808X309250
- Gadotti IC, Biasotto-Gonzalez DA. Sensitivity of clinical assessments of sagittal head posture. J Eval Clin Pract. 2010;16(1):141-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2753.2009.01137.x
- Gonzalez-Iglesias J, Fernandez-De-Las-Penas C, Cleland JA, et al. Thoracic spine manipulation for the management of patients with neck pain: a randomized clinical trial. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009;39(1):20-7. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2009.2914
- Grimmer-Somers K, Milanese S, Louw Q. Measurement of cervical posture in the sagittal plane. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2008;31(7):509-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2008.08.005
- Hanten WP, Lucio RM, Russell JL, et al. Assessment of total head excursion and resting head posture. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1991;72(11):877-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-9993(91)90003-2
- Kendall PF, Kendall ME, Geise PP, et al. Muscles: Testing and Function with Posture and Pain. Baltimore. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins. 2005.
- Kim YJ. The effect of ballet program on turtle neck syndrom in office workes. Master's Degree. Hanyang University. 2012.
- Lau KT, Cheung KY, Chan KB, et al. Relationships between sagittal postures of thoracic and cervical spine, presence of neck pain, neck pain severity and disability. Man Ther. 2010;15(5):457-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2010.03.009
- Pamela K L, Norkin CC. Joint structre & Function: A comprehensive analysis. Philadelphia. F.A. Davis Company. 2011.
- Quek J, Pua YH, Clark RA, et al. Effects of thoracic kyphosis and forward head posture on cervical range of motion in older adults. Man Ther. 2013;18(1):65-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2012.07.005
- Raine S, Twomey LT. Head and shoulder posture variations in 160 asymptomatic women and men. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997;78(11):1215-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(97)90335-X
- Refshauge K, Goodsell M, Lee M. Consistency of cervical and cervicothoracic posture in standing. Aust J Physiother. 1994;40(4):235-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0004-9514(14)60459-1
- Rosario JLPd, Nakashima IY, Rizopoulos K, et al. Improving posture: Comparing Segmental Stretch and Muscular Chains Therapy. Clinical Chiropractic. 2012;15(3-4): 121-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clch.2012.10.039
- Ruivo RM, Pezarat-Correia P, Carita AI. Cervical and shoulder postural assessment of adolescents between 15 and 17 years old and association with upper quadrant pain. Braz J Pys Ther. 2014;18(4):364-71. https://doi.org/10.1590/bjpt-rbf.2014.0027
- Ruivo RM, Pezarat-Correia P, Carita AI. Intrarater and interrater reliability of photographic measurement of upperbody standing posture of adolescents. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2015;38(1):74-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2014.10.009
- Salahzadeh Z, Maroufi N, Ahmadi A, et al. Assessment of forward head posture in females: observational and photogrammetry methods. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2014;27(2):131-9. https://doi.org/10.3233/BMR-130426
- Silva AG, Punt TD, Johnson MI. Reliability and validity of head posture assessment by observation and a four-category scale. Man Ther. 2010;15(5):490-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2010.05.002
- Szeto GP, Straker L, Raine S. A field comparison of neck and shoulder postures in symptomatic and asymptomatic office workers. Appl Ergon. 2002;33(1):75-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-6870(01)00043-6
- Thigpen CA, Padua DA, Michener LA, et al. Head and shoulder posture affect scapular mechanics and muscle activity in overhead tasks. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2010; 20(4):701-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2009.12.003
- Yip CH, Chiu TT, Poon AT. The relationship between head posture and severity and disability of patients with neck pain. Man Ther. 2008;13(2):148-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.11.002
Supported by : Eulji University