- Volume 10 Issue 3
PURPOSE: The aim of this study is to investigate the relationship between psychosocial factors and the severity of musculoskeletal pain in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). METHODS: A total of 60 subjects were recruited from among the veterans with musculoskeletal pain at D Veterans Hospital. PTSD was evaluated by using the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition; severity of pain was measured by using the short-form McGill Pain Questionnaire (SF-MPQ); depression and anxiety were measured by using the Symptom Checklist-90-Revision; and the quality of sleep was measured by using the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index. All data were analyzed using SPSS 18.0 software for Windows. RESULTS: The averages cores of pain intensity (
Anxiety;Depression;Pain;Quality of sleep
- Asmundson GJ, Wright KD, Stein MB. Pain and PTSD symptoms in female veterans. Eur J Pain. 2004;8(4): 345-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2003.10.008
- Buysse DJ, Reynolds CF, Monk TH, et al. The Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res. 1989;28(2): 193-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1781(89)90047-4
- Clark ME, Bair MJ, Buckenmaier CC, et al. Pain and combat injuries in soldiers returning from Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom: implications for research and practice. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2007;44(2):179-94. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2006.05.0057
- Choi MG. I feel the pain of the elderly, chronic condition, and research on the impact on daily life activities. Master's Degree, Hanyang University. 2009.
- Derogatis LR, Rickels K, Rock AF. The SCL-90 and the MMPI: a step in the validation of a new self-report scale. Br J Psychiatry. 1976;128:280-9. https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.128.3.280
- Ghanizadeh A. Agreement between Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, and the proposed DSM-V attention deficit hyperactivity disorder diagnostic criteria: an exploratory study. Compr Psychiatry. 2013;54(1):7-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2012.06.001
- Gironda RJ, Clark ME, Massengale JP, et al. Pain among veterans of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. Pain Med. 2006;7(4):339-43. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2006.00146.x
- Hwang HY. The relationship among pain, depression and sleep disturbance of the elderly with chronic low back pain. Master's Degree. Catholic University of Pusan. 2013.
- Jun, MH. The Relationship between Pain Coping Strategies and Depression of patients with Chronic Lower Back Pain Department of Counseling & Psychotherapy. Master's Degree. Seoul Women's University. 2004.
- Keogh E, McCracken LM, Eccleston C. Gender moderates the association between depression and disability in chronic pain patients. Eur J Pain. 2006;10(5):413-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpain.2005.05.007
- Kim HJ. Chronic pain, Sleep pattern and quality of life in the elderly. Master's Degree. Hanyang University. 2013.
- Kim EJ. Reliability and validity of the short-form McGill pain questionnaire (SF-MPQ) Korean version for measuring the old adult's pain. Clinical Nursing Research. 2004;10(1):20-7.
- Lew HL, Poole JH, Vanderploeg RD, et al. Program development and defining characteristics of returning military in a VA Polytrauma Network site. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2007;44:1027-34. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2007.05.0073
- Melzack R. The McGill pain questionnaire: from description to measurement. Anesthesiology. 2005;103(1):199-202. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542-200507000-00028
- Moeller-Bertram T, Keltner J, Strigo IA. Pain and post traumatic stress disorder - review of clinical and experimental evidence. Neuropharmacology. 2012;62(2):586-97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuropharm.2011.04.028
- Otis JD, Keane TM, Kerns RD, et al. The development of an integrated treatment for veterans with comorbid chronic pain and posttraumatic stress disorder. Pain Med. 2009;10(7):1300-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1526-4637.2009.00715.x
- Pietrzak M. Diagnosis and management of acute medial tibial stress syndrome in a 15 year old female surf life-saving competitor. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2014;9(4):525-39.
- Shipherd JC, Keyes M, Jovanovic T, et al. Veterans seeking treatment for posttraumatic stress disorder: what about comorbid chronic pain? J Rehabil Res Dev. 2007; 44(2):153-66. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2006.06.0065
- Stalnacke BM, Ostman A. Post-traumatic stress in patients with injury-related chronic pain participating in a multimodal pain rehabilitation program. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2010;6:59-66.
- Sungur MZ, Gunduz A. A comparison of DSM-IV-TR and DSM-5 definitions for sexual dysfunctions: critiques and challenges. J Sex Med. 2014;11(2):364-73. https://doi.org/10.1111/jsm.12379
- Villano CL, Rosenblum A, Magura S, et al. Prevalence and correlates of posttraumatic stress disorder and chronic severe pain in psychiatric outpatients. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2007;44(2):167-78. https://doi.org/10.1682/JRRD.2006.05.0052
- Yakut Y, Yakut E, Bayar K, et al. Reliability and validity of the Turkish version short-form McGill pain questionnaire in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol. 2007;26(7):1083-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10067-006-0452-6
- Yokoya T, Demura S, Sato S. Fall risk characteristics of the elderly in an exercise class. J Physiol Anthropol. 2008;27(1):25-32. https://doi.org/10.2114/jpa2.27.25