- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Walking in Elderly People and Adults Using a Walker Aid with a Pocket Attachment
- Kwag, Sung-won ;
- Shin, Eun-ji ;
- Park, Jeong-uk ;
- Roh, Hyo-lyun
- Received : 2015.07.13
- Accepted : 2015.08.12
- Published : 2015.08.31
PURPOSE: This study aims to examine the impact of the location of a walker-aid pocket that is attached to the walker while walking. METHODS: The research subjects included 10 male adults and 10 elderly people. The subjects used a two-wheeled walker for the walking analysis, and a firm velcro-type pocket that can be attached to the walker aid was used for weight loading. The size of the external loads was set at 2kg, which corresponds to approximately 2.5% of the mean body weight of the subjects. The pocket was attached to the left, center, and right sides of the walker aid. Stride length, stride, step width, and time were investigated according to the location change. RESULTS: No statistical differences were observed in all the walking factors among the adults and elderly people regardless of the changes in the location of the walker pocket. In cases of no weight and the 2kg walker pocket, stride length and strides were longer for the adults, while the step width was greater and walking time was longer for the elderly people. CONCLUSION: The weight of the walker pocket turn out to retard walking speed, although the location of the walker pocket is not affect walking with the walker-aid.
External loads;Walker;Walking analysis
- Chang JS, Choi JH, Lee MY, et al. Gait analysis of healthy adults with external loads on trunk. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2012;7(1): 69-75. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2012.7.1.069
- Cha YJ. The effect of cane height on foot pressure of affected side in adult hemiplegia. Master's Degree. Daegu university. 2009.
- Choi DS. A study on the usability of the walking aids-focus on physically disabled elderlies. Bulletin Korean Society of Basic Design & Art. 2007;8(1):623-9.
- Choi HJ, Kwon CY, Kang SJ, et al. Analysis of COM change during manual walker gait for power walker walking control. Journal of the Korean Society for Precision Engineering spring congress. 2010;(5):1423-4.
- Cromwell RL., Newton RA, Forrest G. Head stability in older adults during walking with and without visual input. Journal of Vestibular Research. 2001;11(2):105-14.
- Hwang GC. A Practical Design of the Efficient Walking Aids. Master's Degree. Hongik University. 2005.
- Jung KT, Shin DJ, Chun KJ, et al. Anthropometric analysis and usability evaluation of four-wheeled walker. Jounal of Ergonomics Society of Korea. 2009;28 (2):17-26.
- Kang CK, Sung SC, Lee MG. Effects of two kinds of combined exercise training on daily living fitness in elderly farmers. Korean Journal of Sport Science. 2010; 21(2):1152-64. https://doi.org/10.24985/kjss.2010.21.2.1152
- Kim BK, Kim TH. The change of lower-limb muscle activity according to gait speed when normal and assistive gait of older. Journal of Korea Academy of Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy. 2008;14(2):60-7.
- Kim JS, Kim K, Jun DH. The effect of changes in young women's static balance after performing walking task with different carrying bag positions. Journal of the Korean Society of Physical Medicine. 2011;6(1):51-8.
- Lee YR. Effect of the height of walker on muscle activity in elbow extensor and energy expenditure index during ambulation with salker. Master's Degree. Hanseo University. 2004.
- McGibbon CA, Kerbs DE, Mann RW. Pressures exerted on acetabular cartilage in-vivo while using a cane and carrying loads in one hand. Gait and Posture. 1996;4(2):188-9.
- Park YH, Kim YK, Song WK, et al. The effect of using the walker on the kinematics and muscle activation pattern during gait and sit-to-stance in normal elderly. Korea HIC conference 2011. 2011(1):293-95.
- Park JH. The variability of lower extremity's segment between the elderly and young during walking. Master's Degree. Korea National Sport University. 2005.
- Yoon SH. Biomechanical analysis of the elderly gait with a walking assistive device. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics. 2007;17(2):1-9.
- Ting W, Jean-Pierre M, Guillaume S, et al. Walking analysis of young and elderly people by using an intelligent walker ANG. Robotics and Autonomous Systems. 2014; In Press.