- Volume 10 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Effect of Shoulder External Rotation on EMG Activity of the Scapular Upward Rotators during Arm Elevation
어깨관절 가쪽돌림이 팔을 올리는 동안 어깨뼈 위쪽돌림근의 근활성도에 미치는 영향
Jung, Do-Young;Weon, Jong-Hyuck
- Received : 2015.10.13
- Accepted : 2015.10.27
- Published : 2015.11.30
PURPOSE: The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of shoulder external rotation on muscle activities of the scapular upward rotators during arm elevation. METHODS: Nineteen healthy subjects with no medical history of shoulder pain or upper extremity disorders were recruited for this study. Electromyography (EMG) was used to measure the muscle activities of the serratus anterior (SA), upper trapezius (UP), lower trapezius (LT) and infraspinatus (IS) muscles during arm elevation. The EMG activities were recorded while the subjects performed
Eelectromyography;Shoulder External Rotation;Scapular Upward Rotator;Serratus Anterior
- Park KM, Cynn HS, Yi CH, et al. Effect of isometric horizontal abduction on pectoralis major and serratus anterior EMG activity during three exercise in subjects with scapular winging. J Electromyogr Knesiol. 2013;23 (3):462-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2012.11.013
- Rack PMH, Westbury DR. The effect of length and stimulus rate on tension in the isometric cat soleus muscle. J Physiol. 1969;204(2):443-60. https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1969.sp008923
- Warner JJ, Micheli LJ, Arslanian LE, et al. Scapulothoracic motion in normal shoulders and shoulders with glenohumeral instability and impingement syndrome: a study using Moire topographic analysis. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1992;(285):191-9.
- Weon JH, Kwon OY, Cynn HS, et al. Real-time visual feedback can be used to activate scapular upward rotators in people with scapular winging: an experimental study. J Physiother. 2011;57(2):101-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1836-9553(11)70020-0
- Weon JH, Oh JS, Cynn HS, et al. Influence of forward head posture on scapular upward rotators during isometric shoulder flexion. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2010;14(4): 367-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2009.06.006
- Xavier RL, Paul A, Veronique G, et al. Shoulder coordination during full-can and empty-can rehabilitation exercises. In press. J Athl Train. 2015[Epub ahead of print].
- McClure PW, Bialker J, Neff N, et al. Shoulder function and 3-dimensional kinematics in people with shoulder impingement syndrome before and after a 6-week exercise program. Phys Ther. 2004;84(9):832-48.
- Moseley JB Jr, Jobe FW, Pink M, et al. EMG analysis of the scapular muscles during a shoulder rehabilitation program. Am J Sports Med. 1992;20(2):128-34. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659202000206
- Jung SD, Weon JH, Jung DY. Effect of movement plane and shoulder flexion angle on scapular upward rotator durting scapular protraction exercise. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2013;8(1):41-8. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.1.041
- Kendall FP, McCreary EK, Provance PG, et al. Muscle: testing & function, with posture and pain(5th ed). Baltimore. Williams and Wilkins. 2005.
- Lear LJ, Gross MT. An electromyographical analysis of the scapular stabilizing synergists during push-up progression. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998;28(3): 146-57. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.19184.108.40.206
- Lee CK, Itoi E, Kim SJ, et al. Comparison of muscle activity in the empty-can and full can testing positions using F-FDG PET/CT. J Orthop Surg Res. 2014;9(1):85. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13018-014-0085-4
- Lehman GJ, MacMillan B, MacIntyre I, et al. Shoulder muscle EMG activity during push up variations on and off a Swiss ball. Dyn Med. 2006;5(1):7. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-5918-5-7
- Lopes AD, Timmons MK, Grover M, et al. Visual scapular dyskinesis: Kinematics and muscle activity alterations in patients with subacromial impingement syndrome. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015;96(2):298-306. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2014.09.029
- Ludewig PM, Cook TM, Nawoczenski DA. Three-dimensional scapular orientation and muscle activity at selected positions of humeral elevation. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1996;24(2):57-65. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.19220.127.116.11
- Ludewig PM, Hoff MS, Osowski EE, et al. Relative balance of serratus anterior and upper trapezius muscle activity during push-up exercises. Am J Sports Med. 2004; 32(2):484-93. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546503258911
- Lukasiewicz AC, McClure P, Michener L, et al. Comparison of 3-dimensional scapular position and orientation between subjects with and without shoulder impingement. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1999;29 (10):574-86. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.1918.104.22.1684
- MacDonell CW, Keir PJ. Interfering effects of the task demands of grip force and mental processing on isometric shoulder strength and muscle activity. Ergonomics 2005;48:1749-69. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140130500319757
- Antony NT, Keir PJ. Effects of posture, movement and hand load on shoulder muscle activity. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2010;20:191-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2009.04.010
- Bagg SD, Forrest WJ. Electromyographic study of the scapular rotators during arm abduction in the scapular plane. Am J Phys Med. 1986;65:111-24.
- Cools AM, Witvrouw EE, Declercq GA, et al. Evaluation of isokinetic force production and associated muscleactivity in the scapular rotators during a protraction retraction movement in overhead athletes with impingement symptoms. Br J Sports Med. 2004;38(1):64-8. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2003.004952
- Cools AM, Witvrouw EE, Mahieu NN, et al. Isokinetic scapular muscle performance in overhead athletes with and without impingement symptoms. Athl Train. 2005; 40(2):104-10.
- Cram JR, Kasman GS, Holtz J. Introduction to surface electromyography. Gaithersburg. Apsen. 2011.
- Criswell E. Cram's Introduction to Surface Electromyography. Sudbury. Jones and Bartlett Publishers. 2010.
- Decker MJ, Hintermeister RA, Faber KJ, et al. Serratus anterior muscle activity during selected rehabilitation exercises. Am J Sports Med. 1999;27(6):784-91. https://doi.org/10.1177/03635465990270061601
- Ebaugh DD, McClure PW, Karduna AR. Three-dimensional scapulothoracic motion during active and passive arm elevation. Clin Biomech. 2005;20(7):700-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2005.03.008
- Ellenbecker TS. Shoulder rehabilitation: Non-operative treatment. Thieme Medical Publishers. 2006.
- Ha SM, Kwon OY, Cynn HS, et al. Comparison of electromyographic activity of the lower trapezius and serratus anterior muscle in different arm lifting scapular posterior tilt exercises. Phys Ther Sport. 2012;13(4):227-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2011.11.002
- Hardwick DH, Beebe JA, McDonnell MK, et al. A comparison of serratus anterior muscle activation during a wall slide exercise and other traditional exercises. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2006;36(12):903-10. https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2006.2306
- Hallstrom E, Karrholm J. Shoulder kinematics in 25 patients with impingement and 12 controls. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006;448:22-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000224019.65540.d5
- Inman VT, Saunders M, Abbortt LC. Observations on the function of the shoulder joint. J Bone Joint Surg. 1944;26A:1-32.
Supported by : 중부대학교