- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Biomechanical Analysis of a One-Legged Jump in Traditional Korean Dance According to Breathing Method
호흡 방법에 따른 한국무용 외발뛰기 동작의 운동역학적 분석
- Received : 2015.04.30
- Accepted : 2015.06.30
- Published : 2015.06.30
Objective : The purpose of this study was to conduct a biomechanical analysis of a one-legged jump in a traditional Korean dance (Wae Bal Ddwigi) according to breathing method. Method : Participants for this study were 10 dancers with experience for at least 10 years in traditional Korean dance. Independent variables for this test were two different types of breathing methods. Dependent variables were ground reaction force and lower extremity kinematic variables. The jumping movement was divided into three separate stages, take off, flight, and landing. The subjects were asked a questionnaire regarding the degree of impact force and stability of landing posture after the experiment. The Kistler Force Plate (9281B, Switzerland) was used to measure ground reaction force. A digital camera was used to look into angles of each joint of the lower part of body. SPSS was used for statistical analysis via the dependent t-test(p<.05). Results : There were significant differences in jumping according to breathing method. The inhalation & exhalation method yielded significantly longer flight times combined with greater ground reaction force. The breath-holding method required more core flexion during landing, increasing movement at the hips and shoulders. Conclusion : Consequently, there was more flexion at the knee to compensate for this movement. As a result, landing time was significantly higher for breath-holding.
Korean Traditional Dance;One-Legged Jump;Ground Reaction Force;Kinematic
- Choi, J. H. (2012). Relevance of breathing to motion in the expressional process of dancing motions. The Journal of The Korea Society for Dance Documentation, 26, 163-179.
- Chung, K. I. (2008). The Influence that Breathing has on the Smoothness of Dance Movement. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Seoul National University.
- Chung, K. I., & Chung, C. S. (2007). The relationship between smoothness and breathing for the "pal duleo gamaoligy" technique in Korean traditional dancing. The Journal of Korean Society of Dance Science, 14, 1-10.
- Chung, H. J. (2006). Sport Biomechanical Analysis Under Heel Height Difference of Shoe on the Foot Jump landing of Korean Dance. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Chonbuk National University.
- Jang, J. Y. (2009). The Effects of Korea dance Step Movement on Control of Breathing. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Hanyang University.
- Kang, M. H. (2010). A Comparative study of lower extremities coordination during walking within a short distance between skilled and unskilled Korean Traditional Dancers. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Kookmin University.
- Kim, E. J. (2004). The Effects of Basis Training for Korean Dance Breathing on Lower Extremities. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Dankook University.
- Kim, K. H. (2007). The Effects of Balance Training in the Soccer Players during Drop Landing. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Yonsei University.
- Kim, U. J. (2011). Consideration of The Principles of Breathing and Dance-in-law not in Korea. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Kwandong University.
- Kim, Y. H. (1997). The Default Respiration. Seoul: Hyundai mihaksa.
- Kwon, B. Y. (2004). Differences in Vertical Ground Reaction Force and Lower Limb According to the Use of Insoles for Vertical Jumps in Rhythmic Gymnastics. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Ewha Womans University.
- Laura, Y. (2013). Learned Biomechanics Through Feedback: Investigating The Transferability of A Jump Landing Task to a Cutting. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Toledo University.
- Lee, E. J. (2010). A Study on Dance Trauma Factors According to Movement Types by Dance Major. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Sejong University.
- Lee, G. T. (1995). Dance Medicine. Seoul: KumGwang.
- Lee, J. (2012). Biomechanical analysis of injury factors in the run up and jump phases of the Jete. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 22(3), 295-304. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2012.22.3.295
- Nelson, N. (2012). Diaphragmatic breathing: The foundation of core stability. Strength & Conditioning Journal, 34(5), 34-40.
- Park, M. Y., Park, S. Y., & Oh, Y. J. (2010). Dance philosophy : A study on breathing method in pilates and korean dance. The Journal of the Philosophy of Movement, 18(1), 317-333.
- Park, S. J. (2008). The effects of a basis respiration training on lower extremities muscle power during kueb-guel-um in korea dancing. The Journal of the Korean Society of Dance, 54, 59-74.
- Park, S. N. (2005). Kinetic differences in ground reaction force according to different shoe and insole types during keun pat chim dwim che. The Journal of Korean Society of Dance Science, 11, 25-37.
- Park, Y. S.(2011). Effect of breathing on ground reaction force and kinematic variables during bending in korean dance. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 21(3), 327-334. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2011.21.3.327
- Park, Y. S., & Jang, J. Y. (2009). The effects of breathing control on kinetic parameters of lower limbs during walking motion in korean dance. Korean Journal of Sport Biomechanics, 19(4), 627-636. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2009.19.4.627
- Yi, K. O. (1989). The Impact of not Landing Occurs and Basketball Rebounding Jumping, Transition, Absorption Mechanism. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Ewha Womans University.
- Rickman, A. M., Ambegaonkar, J. P., & Cortes, N. (2012). Core stability: implications for dance injuries. Medical Problems of Performing Artist, 27(3), 159-164.
- Sim, M. S. (2009). A Study of the Relationship between Korean Dance and Relationship: A Northeast Asian Ideeological Perspective. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Ewha Womans University.
- Van Zile, J. (2008) Visible breathing: The use of the breath in korean dance. Ryukoku international community Culture Research Institute Bulletin, 10.
- Willson, J. D., Doughert, C. P., Ireland, M. L., & Davis, I. M. (2005). Core stability and its relaiionship to lower extremity funtion and injure. The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 13(5), 316-325. https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-200509000-00005