- Volume 25 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Analysis of EMG According to Surface Type and Elastic Band Usage During the Pilates Superman Movement
필라테스 슈퍼맨 동작 시 탄성밴드 사용유무와 지면의 종류에 따른 근활성도 분석
Son, Nam-Jeong;Yi, Kyung-Ock
- Received : 2015.04.30
- Accepted : 2015.06.30
- Published : 2015.06.30
Objective : The purpose of this study was to analyze EMG according to surface type and elastic band usage during the pilates Superman movement. Method : The subjects were 10 female university students with a mean age of 27. The independent variables were surface type (yoga mat, air filled equipment, elastic mat) and elastic band usage. In order to measure muscle activity, the Noraxon(USA) was used. Eight muscles (upper trapezius, lower trapezius, thoracic spine, lumbar spine, gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, biceps femoris, semitendinosus) activation were analyzed. For the statistical analysis, MANOVA, independent t-test and Scheffe test for the post-hoc via SPSS 20.0 was used. Results : The left and right upper trapezius muscle activities were significantly reduced when using the elastic bands. In addition gluteus medius muscle activities significantly increased with the elastic band as well. Conclusion : According to the usage of the elastic band and the different types of surfaces, different muscle groups were recruited. Elastic bands were found to have more activation on the gluteus medius muscle meanwhile there was less activation on the upper trapezius during the pilates Superman movement.
Core Stability;pilates Superman movement;EMG
- Akuthota, V., & Nadler S. F. (2004). Core strengthening. Achives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 85(1), 86-92.
- Behm, D. G., Leonard, A. M., Young, W. B., Bonsey, W. A., & MacKinnon, S. N. (2005). Trunk muscle electromyographic activity with unstable and unilateral exercises. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research, 19(1), 193-201.
- Brill P. W., & Couzen G. S. (2002). The Core Program. 1st edition. New York: Bantam Book.
- Carpes F. P., Reinehr E. B., & Mota C. B. (2008). Effects of a program for trunk strength and stability on pain, low back and pelvis kinematics, and body balance: A pilot study. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, 12(1), 22-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2007.05.001
- Cho, I. S. (2013). The Effects of Balance Recovery and Muscle Activation by Closed Kinetic Chain Exercise and Open Kinetic Chain Exercise Using Elastic Band in Patients with Knee Degenerative Osteoarthritis. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Daegu University.
- Cram, J. R., Kasman, G. S., & Holtz, J. (1998). Introduction to surface electromyography. Journal of Athletic Training, 34(1), 69.
- Hermans, H. J., Freriks, B., Merletti, R., Stegeman, D., Blok, J., Rau, G., et al. (1999). SENIAM 8: European recommendations for surface electromyography: results of the SENIAM project, Roessingh Research and Development.
- Hibbs, A. E., Thompson, K. G., French, D., Wrigley, A., & Spears, I. (2008). Optimizing performance by improving core stability and core strength. The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 38(2), 995-1008. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-200838120-00004
- Hodges P. W. (2003). Core stability exercise in chronic low back pain. Orthopedic Clinics of North America, 34, 245-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0030-5898(03)00003-8
- Krabak, B., & Kennedy, D. J. (2008). Functional rehabilitation of lumbar spine injuries in the athlete. Sports Medicine and Arthroscopy Review, 16(1), 47-54. https://doi.org/10.1097/JSA.0b013e318164c431
- Kwon. B. Y. (2008). Effects of Core Stability and Mobility Training with Aero Equipment on Biomechanical Balance, Posture, Strength and Agility for Rhythmic Gymnasts. Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Graduate School of Ewha Womans University.
- Lee, J. S. (2011). The Comparison Between Exercise Intensity and Quantity according to the Diverse Forms of Pilates. Unpublished Master's Thesis, Graduate School of Kyunghee University.
- Nadler, S. F., Malanga, G. A., Bartoli, L. A., Feinberg, J. H., Prybicien, M., & Deprince, M. (2002). Hip muscle imbalance and low back pain in athletes: influence of core strengthening. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 34(1), 9-16.
- Neumann, D. A. (2011). Kinesiology of The Musculoskeletal System-Foundations for Rehabilitation. 3rd edition(Y. W. Chae et al., Trans.). Seoul: E*Publication.
- Park, I. B., & Kim, J. T (2007). The effects of elastic resistance and pilates exercise on EMG in baseball pitcher. Journal of Korean Society of Sport Biomechanics, 17(4), 127-139. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2007.17.4.127
- Shin, Y. K., & Yi, K. O. (2015). Difference in core stability and muscle balance of the pilates teaser motion according to kinds of the ground and skills. Journal of Korean Society of Sport Biomechanics, 25(1), 65-76. https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2015.25.1.065
- Seo, S. M., & Ryu, J. S. (2008). Elastic resistance exercise for the elderly on the magnitude of frequency and variability of ground reaction force signals during walking. Journal of Korean Society of Sport Biomechanics, 18(4), 49-57.
- Vera Garcia, F. J., Grenier, S. G., & McGill, S. M. (2000). Abdominal muscle response during curl-ups on both stable and labile surfaces. Journal of the Americal Physical Therapy, 80(6), 564-569.
- Willson, J. D., Dougherty, C. P., Ireland, M. L., & Davis, I. M. (2005). Core stability and its relationship to lower extremity function and injury. The Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 13(5), 16-25.
- Yi, K. O. (2006). Fall proof Exercise Program for the Elderly. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women symposium, Seoul.
- Yi, K. O. (2007). Correcting Potential Postural and Gait Problems in Athletes. Universiade Bangkok 2007 FISU Conference, Thailand.
- Yi, K. O., & Kwon, B. Y. (2010). Effects of core stability and mobility training with aero equipment on biomechanical balance, posture, strength and agility for rhythmic gymnasts. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women, 24(3), 143-152.
- Yi, K. O. (2010). Integrated functional physical fitness exercise (I.F.P.F.E.) for the fall proof of the elderly. Journal of Korean Physical Education Association for Girls and Women Symposium, 13-40.
- The Biomechanical Analysis of Ballet Arabesque by Using Elastic Band vol.25, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5103/KJSB.2015.25.3.265