- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Efficacy of Sweet Potato Powder and Added Water as Fat Replacer on the Quality Attributes of Low-fat Pork Patties
- Verma, Akhilesh K. (Department of Livestock Products Technology, College of Veterinary Science, Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University) ;
- Chatli, Manish Kumar (Department of Livestock Products Technology, College of Veterinary Science, Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University) ;
- Kumar, Devendra (Department of Livestock Products Technology, College of Veterinary Science, Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University) ;
- Kumar, Pavan (Department of Livestock Products Technology, College of Veterinary Science, Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University) ;
- Mehta, Nitin (Department of Livestock Products Technology, College of Veterinary Science, Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University)
- Received : 2014.04.21
- Accepted : 2014.07.07
- Published : 2015.02.01
The present study was conducted to investigate the efficacy of sweet potato powder (SPP) and water as a fat replacer in low-fat pork patties. Low-fat pork patties were developed by replacing the added fat with combinations of SPP and chilled water. Three different levels of SPP/chilled water viz. 0.5/9.5% (T-1), 1.0/9.0% (T-2), and 1.5/8.5% (T-3) were compared with a control containing 10% animal fat. The quality of low-fat pork patties was evaluated for physico-chemical (pH, emulsion stability, cooking yield,
Pork;Low-fat Patties;Sweet Potato Powder;Physico-chemical;Sensory Attributes
- Berry, B. W. 1997. Sodium alginate plus modified tapioca starch improves properties of low-fat beef patties. Food Sci. 62:1245-1249. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1997.tb12254.x
- Aktas, N. and H. Genccelep. 2006. Effect of starch type and its modifications on physicochemical properties of bologna-type sausage produced with sheep tail fat. Meat Sci. 74:404-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.04.012
- American Heart Association. 1986. Dietary guidelines for healthy adult Americans. American Heart Association Circulation 74:1465-1475-A.
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis 17th Edition. Association of official Analytical chemists, Washington, DC, USA.
- Biswas, A. K., V. Kumar, S. Bhosle, J. Sahoo, and M. K. Chatli. 2011. Dietary fibers as functional ingredients in meat products and their role in human health. Int. J. Livest. Prod. 2:45-54.
- Bloukas, J. G., E. D. Paneras, and S. Papadima. 1997. Effect of carrageenan on processing and quality characteristics of lowfat frankfurters. J. Muscle Food. 8:68-78.
- Bourne, M. C. 1978. Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 33:62-66.
- Carballo, J., P. Fernandez, G. Barreto, M. T. Solas, and F. Jimenez Colmenero. 1996. Morphology and texture of bologna sausage containing different levels of fat, starch and egg white. J. Food Sci. 61:652-655. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1996.tb13179.x
- Choi, Y. M., J. H. Choe, D. K. Cho, and B. C. Kim. 2012. Practical use of surimi-like material made from porcine longissimus dorsi muscle for the production of low-fat pork patties. Meat Sci. 90:292-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.07.013
- Desmond, E. M., D. J. Troy, and D. J. Buckley. 1998. The effects of tapioca starch, oat fibre and whey protein on the physical and sensory properties of low-fat beef burgers. Academic Press. LWT. Food Sci. Technol. 31:653-657. https://doi.org/10.1006/fstl.1998.0415
- Cierach, M., M. Modzelewska-Kapitula, and K. Szacilo. 2009. The influence of carrageenan on the properties of low-fat frankfurters. Meat Sci. 82:295-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.01.025
- Claus, J. R. and M. C. Hunt. 1991. Low-fat, high-added bologna formulated with texture modifying ingredients. J. Food Sci. 56:643-647. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1991.tb05347.x
- Comer, F. W. and S. Dempster. 1981. Functionality of fillers and meat ingredients in comminuted meat products. Can. Inst. Food Sci. Technol. J. 14:295-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0315-5463(81)72930-4
- Dexter, D. R., J. N. Sofos, and G. R. Schmidt. 1993. Quality characteristics of Turkey bologna formulated with carrageenan, starch, milk and soy protein. J. Muscle Foods 4:207-223. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1993.tb00503.x
- Dutra, M. P., G. P. Cardoso, E. M. Ramos, A. de. L. S. Ramos, A. C. M. Pinheiro, and P. R. Fontes. 2012. Technological and sensory quality of restructured low-fat cooked ham containing liquid whey. Cienc. Agrotec. Lavras, 36:86-92. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1413-70542012000100011
- Garcia, M. L., R. Dominguez, M. D. Galvez, C. Casas, and M. D. Selgas. 2002. Utilization of cereal and fruit fibres in low fat dry fermented sausages. Meat Sci. 60:227-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00125-5
- Giese, J. 1992. Developing low-fat meat products. Food Technol. 46:100-108.
- Goll, S. J., C. L. Kastner, M. C. Hunt, and D. H. Kropf. 1992. Glucose and internal cooking temperature effects on low fat, pre and post-rigor, restructured beef roast. J. Food Sci. 57:834-840. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb14305.x
- Hoelscher, L. M., J. W. Savell, J. M. Harris, H. R. Cross, and K. S. Rhee. 1987. Effect of initial fat level and cooking method on cholesterol content and caloric value of ground beef patties. J. Food Sci. 52:883-885. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1987.tb14233.x
- Khalil, A. H. 2000. Quality characteristics of low-fat beef patties formulated with modified corn starch and water. Food Chem. 68:61-68. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00156-9
- Hughes, E., A. M. Mullen, and D. S. Troy. 1998. Effect of fat level, tapioca starch and whey protein in frankfurters formulated with 5% and 12% fat. Meat Sci. 48:169-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00087-9
- Keeton, J. T. 1983. Effect of fat and sodium chloride phosphate levels on the chemical and sensory properties of pork patties. J. Food Sci. 48:878-881. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb14921.x
- Keeton, J. T. 1994. Low-fat meat products-Technological problems with processing. Meat Sci. 36:261-276. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90045-0
- Kotwaliwale, N., P. Bakane, and A. Verma. 2007. Changes in textural and optical properties of oyster mushroom during hot air drying. J. Food Eng. 78:1207-1211. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2005.12.033
- Kumar, D. and V. K. Tanwar. 2011. Effects of incorporation of ground mustard on quality attributes of chicken nuggets. J. Food Sci. Technol. 48:759-762. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-010-0149-3
- Kumar, M. and B. D. Sharma. 2004a. Quality and storage stability of low-fat pork patties containing barley flour as fat substitute. J. Food Sci. Technol. 41:496-502.
- Kumar, M., B. D. Sharma, and R. R. Kumar. 2007. Evaluation of sodium alginate as a fat replacer on processing and shelf-life of low-fat ground pork patties. Asian Australas. J. Anim Sci. 20:588-597. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2007.588
- Kumar, M. and B. D. Sharma. 2004. The storage stability and textural, physico-chemical and sensory quality of low-fat ground pork patties with carrageenan as fat replacer. Int. J. Food Sci.Technol. 39:31-42. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2004.00743.x
- Lee, E. J. and D. U. Ahn. 2005. Quality characteristics of irradiated turkey breast rolls formulated with plum extract. Meat Sci. 71:300-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.03.017
- Lin, K. W. and J. T. Keeton. 1998. Textural and physicochemical properties of low-fat, pre-cooked ground beef patties containing carrageenan and sodium alginate. J. Food Sci. 63:571-574.
- Mehta, N., S. S. Ahlawat, D. P. Sharma, and R. S. Dabur. 2013. Novel trends in development of dietary fiber rich meat products-A critical review. J. Food Sci. Technol. DOI 10.1007/s13197-013-1010-2. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-013-1010-2
- Lyons, P. H., J. F. Kerry, P. A. Morrissey, and D. J. Buckley. 1999. The influence of added whey protein/carrageenan gels and tapioca starch on the textural properties of low-fat pork sausages. Meat Sci. 51:43-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00095-3
- Mansour, E. and A. Khalil. 1999. Characteristics of low-fat beef burgers as influenced by various types of wheat fibres. J. Sci. Food Agric.79:493-498. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(19990315)79:4<493::AID-JSFA4>3.0.CO;2-5
- McGlone, J. J. 2013. The future of pork production in the world:Towards sustainable, welfare-positive systems. Animals 3:401-415. doi: 10.3390/ani3020401. https://doi.org/10.3390/ani3020401
- Mendoza, E., M. L. Garcia, C. Casa, and M. D. Selgas. 2001. Inulin as fat substitute in low-fat, dry fermented sausages. Meat Sci. 57:387-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00116-9
- Murphy, E. W., P. E. Criner, and B. C. Grey. 1975. Comparison of methods for calculating retention of nutrients in cooked foods. J. Agric. Food Chem. 23:1153-1157. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf60202a021
- Nisar, P. U., M. K. Chatli, and D. K. Sharma. 2009. Efficacy of tapioca starch as a fat replacer in low-fat buffalo meat patties. Buffalo Bulletin 28:18-25.
- Picouet, P. A., A. Fernandez, X. Serra, J. J. Sunol, and J. Arnau. 2007. Micro-wave heating of cooked pork patties as a function of fat content. J. Food Sci. 72:E57-E63. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2007.00269.x
- Serdaroglu, M. 2006. The characteristics of beef patties containing different levels of fat and oat flour. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 41:147-153. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2005.01041.x
- Singh. R., M. K. Chatli, A. K. Biswas, and J. Sahoo. 2010. Effect of partial substitution of soya oil with canola oil on the quality of omega-3 fatty acid enriched low-fat chicken meat patties. Indian J. Poult. Sci. 45:165-170.
- Trout, E. S., N. C. Hunt, D. E. Johnson, J. R. Claus, C. L. Kastner, D. H. Kropf, and S. Stroda. 1992. Chemical, physical and sensory characterization of ground beef containing 5 to 30% fat. J. Food Sci. 57:25-29. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb05416.x
- Snedecor, G. W. and W. G. Cochran. 1989. Statistical Methods (8th ed.). Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA, USA.
- Tay, B. D. 2002. Solar Dried Cassava Flour (SODRIC) as Filler in Frankfurter-Type Sausages. B.Sc. Dissertation. Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. Kumasi, Ghana.
- Townsend, W. E., L. P. Witnauer, J. A. Riloff, and C. E. Swift. 1968. Comminuted meat emulsions. Differential thermal analysis of fat transition. Food Technol. 22:319-323.
- Troutt, E., M. C. Hunt, D. E. Johnson, J. R. Claus, C. L. Kastener, and D. H. Kropf. 1992. Characteristics of low-fat ground beef containing texture-modifying ingredients. J. Food Sci. 57:19-23. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb05415.x
- Troy, D. J., E. M. Desmond, and D. J. Buckley. 1999. Eating quality of low-fat beef burgers containing fat-replacing functional blends. J. Sci. Food Agric. 79:507-516. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0010(19990315)79:4<507::AID-JSFA209>3.0.CO;2-6
- Tsai, S. J., N. Unklesbay, K. Unklesbay, and A. Clarke. 1998. Textural properties of restructured beef products with five binders at four isothermal temperatures. J. Food Qual. 21:397-410. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4557.1998.tb00531.x
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Agricultural Research Service. 2003. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 16. Washington, DC, USA.
- Verma, A. K. and R. Banerjee. 2010. Dietary fibre as functional ingredient in meat products: a noval approach for healthy living-A review. J. Food Sci. Technol. 47:247-257. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-010-0039-8
- Verma, A. K., R. Banerjee, and B. D. Sharma. 2012. Quality of low-fat chicken nuggets: Effect of sodium chloride replacement and added chickpea (Cicer arietinum L.) hull flour. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 25:291-298. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11263
- Verma, A. K., V. Lakshmanan, A. K. Das, S. K. Mendiratta, and A. S. R. Anjaneyulu. 2008. Quality characteristics and storage stability of patties from buffalo head and heart meats. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol. 43:1798-1806. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2007.01707.x
- ) flour vol.45, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-03-2015-0029
- ) deboning by-product on composition, physical properties and sensorial acceptability of rohu cutlets vol.47, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-08-2016-0128
- Effect of particle size of persimmon by-product powders on their physicochemical properties and antioxidant activities in porcine patties pp.01458876, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpe.12610
- Antioxidant and antimicrobial efficacy of watermelon rind extract (WMRE) in aerobically packaged pork patties stored under refrigeration temperature (4±1°C) pp.01458892, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfpp.13757
- Development of gluten-free fish (Pseudoplatystoma corruscans) patties by response surface methodology vol.55, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-018-3106-1