- Volume 28 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Milk Yield and Animal Health in Turkish Farms with Differing Stall Types and Resting Surfaces
- Kara, Nurcan Karslioglu (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Uludag University) ;
- Galic, Askin (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Akdeniz University) ;
- Koyuncu, Mehmet (Department of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Uludag University)
- 투고 : 2014.05.16
- 심사 : 2014.08.04
- 발행 : 2015.02.01
The current study was carried out to determine the influence of different resting surfaces and stall types on milk yield and animal health. Study was carried out in Bursa that is one of the most important cities of Turkey in terms of dairy production. Effects of resting surfaces and stall types on milk yield were found to be important. Also influence of different resting surfaces and stall types on lactation length was examined and found that rubber mats were different from the two other options. Relationships between different resting surfaces or stall types and health problems were examined and connection between stall type and repeat breeding (RB), dystocia, retained placenta and a connection between resting surface types and RB and clinical mastitis were found to be important. Considering their economic reflections, it can be said that results are quite important to the Turkish dairy industry.
Resting Surface;Stall Type;Milk Yield;Cattle;Health Problems
- De Graves, F. J. and J. Fetrow. 1993. Economics of mastitis and mastitis control. Vet. Clin. North Am. Food Anim. Pract. 9:421-434. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-0720(15)30611-3
- Calamari, L., F. Calegari, and L. Stefanini. 2009. Effect of different free stall surfaces on behavioural, productive and metabolic parameters in dairy cows. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 120: 9-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2009.05.013
- Carroll, E. J. 1977. Environmental factors in bovine mastitis. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 170:1143-1149.
- Coleman, D. A., W. V. Thayne, and R. A. Oailey. 1985. Factors affecting reproductive performance of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 68:1793-1803. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(85)81029-8
- Cook, N. B. 2002. The influence of barn design on dairy cow hygiene, lameness, and udder health. In: Proceedings of the 35th Annual Conversation of Bovine practitioners. Madison, WI, USA. pp. 97-103.
- Herlin, A. H. 1997. Comparison of lying area surfaces for dairy cows by preference, hygiene and lying down behavior. Swedish J. Agric. Res. 27:189-196.
- Kara, N., A. Galic, and M. Koyuncu. 2011. Effects of stall type and bedding materials on lameness and hygiene score and effect of lameness on some reproductive problems in dairy cattle. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 39:334-338. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2011.607890
- Kumlu, S. 2008. Beef and Dairy Cattle Breeding. 4th edn. Publications of Central Association of Turkish Cattle Breeders. Ankara, Turkey.
- Muller, L. D. and M. J. Owens. 1974. Factors associated with the incidence of retained placenta. J. Dairy Sci. 57:725-728. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(74)84956-8
- Le Blanc, S. J. 2008. Postpartum uterine disease and dairy herd reproductive performance: A review. Vet. J. 176:102-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tvjl.2007.12.019
- Manninen, E, A. M. De Passilé, J. Rushen, M. Norring, and H. Saloniemi. 2002. Preferences of dairy cows kept in unheated buildings for different kind of cubicle flooring. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 75:281-292. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1591(01)00206-4
- Metcalf, J. A., S. J. Roberts, and J. D. Sutton. 1992. Variations in blood flow to and from the bovine mammary gland measured using transit time ultrasound and dye dilution. Res. Vet. Sci. 53:59-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0034-5288(92)90085-G
- Munksgaard, L. and P. Lovendahl. 1993. Effects of social and physical stressors on growth hormone levels in dairy cows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 73:847-853. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas93-087
- Nogalski, Z. 2006. Effect of milk productivity on fertility in tied and loose-housed cows. Acta Sci. Pol. Zootech. 5:97-106.
- Norring, M., E. Manninen, A. M. De Passille, J. Rushen, L. Munksgaard, and H. Saloniemi. 2008. Effects of sand and straw bedding on the lying behavior, cleanliness, and hoof and hock injuries of dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 91:570-576. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0452
- Osteras, O. and A. Lund. 1988. Epidemiological analyses of the associations between bovine udder health and housing. Prev. Vet. Med. 6:79-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-5877(88)90046-3
- Phillips, C. J. C. and I. D. Morris. 2001. The locomotion of dairy cows on floor surfaces with different frictional properties. J. Dairy Sci. 84:623-628. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74517-1
- Regula, G., J. Danuser, B. Spycher, and B. Wechsler. 2004. Health and welfare of dairy cows in different husbandry systems in Switzerland. Prev. Vet. Med. 66:247-264. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prevetmed.2004.09.004
- Sawa, A. and M. Bogucki. 2011. Effect of housing system and milk yield on cow fertility. Arch. Tierzucht. 54:249-256.
- Tucker, C. B., D. M. Weary, and D. Fraser. 2003. Effects of three types of free-stall surfaces on preferences and stall usage by dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 86:521-529. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(03)73630-3
- Skrzypek, R. 2002. Somatic cell count in bulk tank milk in relation to management and technological factors. Med. Weter. 58:632-635.
- Stevenson, J. S. 2001. Reproductive management of dairy cows in high milk-producing herds. J. Dairy Sci. 84:128-143. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)70207-X
- Tucker, C. B. and D. M. Weary. 2001. Cow comfort and stall design. Adv. Dairy Sci. Tech. 13:155-168.
- Valde, J. P., D. W. Hird, M. C. Thurmond, and O. Osteras. 1997. Comparison of ketosis, clinical mastitis, somatic cell count, and reproductive performance between free stall and tie stall barns in Norwegian dairy herds with automatic feeding. Acta Vet. Scand. 38:181-192.
- Zdziarski, K., H. Grodzki, T. Nalecz-Tarwacka, P. Brzozowski, and T. Przysucha. 2002. The influence of housing system and genotype of cows on the length of use and their life time milk performance. Zeszyty Naukowe 62:29-35.