- Volume 10 Issue 6
In order to provide smart devices with high quality multimedia streaming services, an adaptive streaming technique over HTTP has been received much attention recently and the Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (DASH) standard has been established. In DASH, however, the technique to select an appropriate quality of multimedia based on the performance metrics measured in a smart device might have some difficulties to reflect the capabilities of other neighboring smart devices and dynamic network conditions in real time. To solve the problem, this paper proposes a novel software agent approach, called DASH agent (DA), which gathers and analyzes the device capabilities and dynamic network conditions in real time and finally determines the highest achievable quality of segment to meet the best Quality of Experience (QoE) in current situations. The simulation results show that our approach provides higher quality of multimedia segments with less frequency of quality changes to lower quality of multimedia segments.
Multimedia streaming;Adaptive streaming;DASH;QoE
- K. Kilkki, "Quality of Experience in Communications Ecosystem," Journal of Universal Computer Science, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 615-624, 2008.
- V. Gabale, P. Dutta, R. Kokku, S. Kalyanaraman, "InSite: QoE-aware Video Delivery from Cloud Data Centers," Proceedings of IEEE International Workshop on Quality of Service, pp. 1-9, 2012.
- P. Kolios, V. Friderikos, K. Paradaki, "Energy-Aware Mobile Video Transmission Utilizing Mobility," IEEE Network, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 34-40, 2013.
- M.A. Hoque, M. Siekkinen, J.K. Nurminen, "Energy Efficient Multimedia Streaming to Mobile Devices - A Survey," IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 579-597, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/SURV.2012.111412.00051
- R. Alvarez-Horine, M. Moh, "Experimental Evaluation of Linux TCP for Adaptive Video Streaming over the Cloud," Proceedings of IEEE Globecom Workshops, pp. 747-752, 2012.
- B. Zhou, J. Wen, J. Wang, Z. Zou, "HTTP Streaming Over an Improved TCP Congestion Control Algorithm," Proceedings of International Conference on Multimedia Technology, pp. 3093-3096, 2011.
- J. Yan, W. Muhlbauer, B. Plattner, "Analytical Framework for Improving the Quality of Streaming Over TCP," IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 1579-1590, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMM.2012.2187182
- C. Alberti, D. Renzi, C. Timmerer, C. Mueller, S. Lederer, S. Battista, M. Mattavelli, "Automated QoE evaluation of Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP," Proceedings of Fifth International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience, pp. 58-63, 2013.
- O. Oyman, S. Singh, "Quality of Experience for HTTP Adaptive Streaming Services," IEEE Communications, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 20-27, 2012.
- I. Hofmann, N. Farber, H. Fuchs, "A study of network performance with application to Adaptive HTTP Streaming," Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Broadband Multimedia Systems and Broadcasting, pp. 1-6, 2011.
- HTTP Fallback for RTP Media Streams, http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miniero-rtcweb-http-fallback-00
- ISO/IEC 23009-1 Information technology - Dynamic adaptive streaming over HTTP (DASH) - Part 1: Media presentation description and segment formats
- 3GPP TS 26.244, Transparent End-to-End Packet Switched Streaming Service (PSS); 3GPP File Format (3GP)
- 3GPP TS 26.247, Transparent End-to-End Packet Switched Streaming Service (PSS); Progressive Download and Dynamic Adaptive Streaming Over HTTP (3GP-DASH)
- Y. Kim, J. Shin, J. Park, "Design and Implementation of a Network-Adaptive Mechanism for HTTP Video Streaming," ETRI Journal, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp. 27-34, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.0111.0788
- C. Liu, I. Bouazizi, M. Gabbouj, "Rate Adaptation for Adaptive HTTP Streaming," Proceedings of The Second Annual ACM Conference on Multimedia Systems, pp. 169-174, 2011.
- D. Suh, I. Jang, S. Pack, "A Video Bitrate Adaptation Algorithm for DASH-Based Multimedia Streaming Services to Enhance User QoE," The Journal of Korean Institute of Communications and Information Sciences, Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 341-349, 2014 (in Korean).
- H. Bharadvaj, A. Joshi, S. Auephanwiriyakul, "An Active Transcoding Proxy to Support Mobile Web Access," Proceeding of International Conference on Reliable Distributed Systems, pp. 118-123, 1998.
- J.R. Smith, R. Mohan, C.S. Li, "Transcoding Internet Content for Heterogeneous Client Devices," Proceedings of International Conference on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 3, pp. 599-602, 1998.
- A. Vetro, H. Sun, "Media Conversions to Support Mobile Users," Proceedings of IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 1, pp. 607-612, 2001.
- The Network Simulator ns-3, http://www.nsnam.org.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 경북대학교, 한국연구재단