- Volume 19 Issue 6
A higher order analytical solution for static analysis of a truncated conical composite sandwich panel subjected to different loading conditions was presented in this paper which was based on a new improved higher order sandwich panel theory. Bending analysis of sandwich structures with flexible cores subjected to concentrated load, uniform distributed load on a patch, harmonic and uniform distributed loads on the top and/or bottom face sheet of the sandwich structure was also investigated. For the first time, bending analysis of truncated conical composite sandwich panels with flexible cores was performed. The governing equations were derived by principle of minimum potential energy. The first order shear deformation theory was used for the composite face sheets and for the core while assuming a polynomial description of the displacement fields. Also, the in-plane hoop stresses of the core were considered. In order to assure accuracy of the present formulations, convergence of the results was examined. Effects of types of boundary conditions, types of applied loads, conical angles and fiber angles on bending analysis of truncated conical composite sandwich panels were studied. As, there is no research on higher order bending analysis of conical sandwich panels with flexible cores, the results were validated by ABAQUS FE code. The present approach can be linked with the standard optimization programs and it can be used in the iteration process of the structural optimization. The proposed approach facilitates investigation of the effect of physical and geometrical parameters on the bending response of sandwich composite structures.
static;truncated conical sandwich panels;improved higher order sandwich panel theory;point load;uniform distributed load on a patch
- Abediokhchi, J., Shakouri, M. and Kouchakzadeh, M.A. (2013), "Bending analysis of moderately thick functionally graded conical panels with various boundary conditions using GDQ method", Compos. Struct., 103, 68-74. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2013.03.022
- Aghdam, M.M., Shahmansouri, N. and Bigdeli, K. (2011), "Bending analysis of moderately thick functionally graded conical panels", Compos. Struct., 93(5), 1376-1384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2010.10.020
- Bardell, N.S., Langley, R.S., Dunsdon, J.M. and Aglietti, G.S. (1999), "An h-p finite element vibration analysis of open conical sandwich panels and conical sandwich frusta", J. Sound Vib., 226(2), 345-377. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1999.2301
- Bich, D.H., Phuong, N.T. and Tung, H.V. (2012), "Buckling of functionally graded conical panels under mechanical loads", Compos. Struct., 94(4), 1379-1384. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2011.11.029
- Biglari, H. and Jafari, A.A. (2010), "Static and free vibration analyses of doubly curved composite sandwich panels with soft core based on a new three-layered mixed theory", J. Mech. Eng. Sci., 224(11), 2332-2349. https://doi.org/10.1243/09544062JMES2143
- Cetkovic, M.D. and Vuksanovic, J. (2009), "Bending, free vibrations and buckling of laminated composite and sandwich plates using a layerwise displacement model", Compo. Struct., 88(2), 219-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2008.03.039
- Frostig, Y. and Shenar, Y. (1995), "High-order bending of sandwich beams with a transversely flexible core and unsymmetrical laminated composite skins", Compos. Eng., 5(4), 405-414. https://doi.org/10.1016/0961-9526(95)93440-7
- Frostig, Y. and Thomsen, O.T. (2004), "Higher-order free vibration of sandwich panels with a flexible core", Int. J. Solid. Struct., 41(5-6), 1697-1724. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2003.09.051
- He, L., Cheng, Y.S. and Liu, J. (2012), "Precise bending stress analysis of corrugated-core, honeycomb-core and X-core sandwich panels", Compos. Struct., 94(5), 1656-1668. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2011.12.033
- Malekzadeh, K., Khalili, S.M.R. and Mital, R.K. (2005), "Local and global damped vibrations of plates with a viscoelastic soft flexible core: An improved high-order approach", J. Sandw. Struct. Mater., 7(5), 431-456. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636205053748
- Naj, R., Sabzikar Boroujerdy, M. and Eslami, M.R. (2008), "Thermal and mechanical instability of functionally graded truncated conical shells", Thin-Wall. Struct., 46(1), 65-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2007.07.011
- Nedelcu, M. (2011), "GBT formulation to analyse the buckling behaviour of isotropic conical shells", Thin-Wall. Struct., 49(7), 812-818. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2011.02.006
- Pandit, M.K., Sheikh, A.H. and Singh, B.N. (2008), "An improved higher order zigzag theory for the static analysis of laminated sandwich plate with soft core", Finite Elem. Anal. Des., 44(9-10), 602-610. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.finel.2008.02.001
- Qatu, M.S. (2004), Vibration of Laminated Shells and Plates, Elsevier Ltd., Oxford.
- Rahmani, O., Khalili, S.M.R. and Malekzadeh, K. (2009), "Free vibration response of composite sandwich cylindrical shell with flexible core", Compos. Struct., 92(5), 1269-1281.
- Reddy, J.N. (2004), Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates and Shells, (2nd Ed.), CRC Press, USA.
- Ren-huai, L. and Jun, L. (1995), "Non-linear vibration of shallow conical sandwich shells", Int. J. Non-Linear Mech., 30(2), 97-109. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7462(94)00032-6
- Sofiyev, A.H. (2011), "Non-linear buckling behavior of FGM truncated conical shells subjected to axial load", Int. J. Non-Linear Mech., 46(5), 711-719. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2011.02.003
- Sofiyev, A.H., Korkmaz, K.A., Mammadov, Z. and Kamanli, M. (2009), "The vibration and buckling of freely supported non-homogeneous orthotropic conical shells subjected to different uniform pressures", Int. J. Press. Vessels Pip., 86(10), 661-668. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpvp.2009.03.012
- Struk, R. (1984), "Non-linear stability problem of an open conical sandwich shell under external pressure and compression", Int. J. Non-Linear Mech., 19(3), 217-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7462(84)90009-X
- Sturzenbecher, R., Hofstetter, K. and Eberhardsteiner, J. (2010), "Structural design of Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) by advanced plate theories", Compos. Sci. Technol., 70(9), 1368-1379. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2010.04.016
- Stürzenbecher, R. and Hofstetter, K. (2011), "Bending of cross-ply laminated composites: An accurate and efficient plate theory based upon models of Lekhnitskii and Ren", Compos. Struct., 93(3), 1078-1088. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2010.09.020
- Wilkins, Jr. D.J., Bert, C.W. and Egle, D.M. (1970), "Free vibrations of orthotropic sandwich conical shells with various boundary conditions", J. Sound Vib., 13(2), 211-228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(70)81175-0
- Zhao, X. and Liew, K.M. (2011), "Free vibration analysis of functionally graded conical shell panels by a meshless method", Compos. Struct., 93(2), 649-664. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2010.08.014
Zhen, W. and Wanji, C. (2010), "A
$C^0$-type higher-order theory for bending analysis of laminated composite and sandwich plates", Compos. Struct., 92(3), 653-661. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2009.09.032
- Zhong, C. and Reimerdes, H.G. (2007), "Stability behavior of cylindrical and conical sandwich shells with flexible core", J. Sandw. Struct. Mater., 9(1), 143-166. https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636207068687