- Volume 19 Issue 6
The application of composite steel-concrete slabs with profiled steel sheeting has increased, due to the various advantages in relation to reinforced concrete slabs such as, the reduced thickness, the reduced amount of lost formwork needed, as well as the speed of execution. The loss of longitudinal shear resistance is, generally, the governing design mode for simply supported spans of common lengths. For common distributed loadings, the composite behaviour is influenced by the partial shear connection between the concrete and the steel sheeting. The present research work is intended to contribute to improving the ultimate limit state behaviour of composite slabs using end anchorage. Eurocode 4, Part 1.1 (EN 1994-1-1) provides an analytical methodology for predicting the increase of longitudinal resistance, achieved by using shear studs welded through the steel sheeting as the end anchorage mechanism. The code does not supply an analytical methodology for other kinds of end anchorage so, additional tests or studies are needed to prove the effectiveness of these types of anchorage. The influence of end anchorage mechanisms provided by transverse rebars at the ends of simply supported composite slabs is analysed in this paper. Two experimental programmes were carried out, the first to determine the resistance provided by the new end anchorage mechanism and the second to analyse its influence on the behaviour of simply supported composite slabs.
composite slab;end anchorage;longitudinal shear;improvement;partial shear connection
- Carmona, R.L., Branco, J.C. e Simoes, R. (2009), "Lajes mistas com chapa colaborante: Solucoes para melhorar o seu comportamento", VII Congresso de Construcao Metalica e Mista pag. II-593 a II-604, Lisboa, Portugal. [In Portuguese]
- CEN (1992), prENV 1994-1-1 - Eurocode 4 - Design of composite steel and concrete structures - Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- CEN (2002a), EN 1990 - Eurocode 0 - Basis of structural design, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- CEN (2002b), EN 12390 - Testing hardened concrete, Part 3: Compressive strength of test specimens, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- CEN (2004), EN 1993-1-3 - Eurocode 3 - Design of steel structures - Part 1-3: General rules - Supplementary rules for cold-formed members and sheeting, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- CEN (2007), EN 1994-1-1 - Eurocode 4 - Design of composite steel and concrete structures - Part 1-1: General rules and rules for buildings, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- CEN (2009), EN 10346 - Continuously hot-dip coated steel flat products - Technical delivery conditions, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- CEN (2010), EN 1993-1-8 - Eurocode 3 - Design of steel structures - Part 1-8: Design of joints, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels, Belgium.
- Chen, S. (2003), "Load carrying capacity of composite slabs with various end constrains", J. Construct. Steel Res., 59(3), 385-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(02)00034-2
- Chen, S., Shi, X. and Qiu, Z. (2011), "Shear bond failure in composite slabs - A detailed experimental study", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 11(3), 233-250. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2011.11.3.233
- Chuan, D.L., Abdullah, R. and Bakar, K.B. (2008), "Behaviour and Load Bearing Capacity of Composite Slab Enhanced with Shear Screws", Malay. J. Civil Eng., 20(2), 284-294.
- Ferrer, M., Marimon, F., Roure, F. and Crisinel, M. (2005), "Optimised design of a new profiled steel sheet for composite slabs using 3d non-linear finite elements", Proceedings of the 4th Eurosteel Conference on Steel and Composite Structures, Maastricht, Netherlands, June.
- Fonseca, A. (2012), "Calibracao Experimental de um Modelo Analítico de Calculo de Sistemas de Amarracao de Extremidade em Lajes Mistas", Dissertacao apresentada para obtencao do grau de Mestre em Engenharia Civil na Especialidade de Mecanica Estrutural, DEC-FCTUC, Coimbra, Portugal. [In Portuguese]
- ISO 6892-1 (2009), Metallic materials - Tensile testing. Part 1: Method of test at room temperature, International Organization for Standardization, Switzerland.
- Johnson, R.P. (2004), Composite Structures of Steel and Concrete (Volume 1): Beams, Columns, Frames and Applications in Buildings, (3rd Edition), Blackwell, Oxford, UK.
- Johnson, R.P. and Anderson, D. (2004), Designer's Guide to EN 1994-1-1 - Eurocode 4: Design of composite steel and concrete structures, Part 1.1: General rules and rules for buildings, Thomas Telford, London, UK.
- Jolly, C.K. and Lawson, R.M. (1992), "End anchorage in composite slabs: an increased load-carrying capacity", The Structural Engineer, 70(11), 202-205.
- Karmazinova, M. and Melcher, J. (2011), "Design assisted by testing applied to the determination of the design resistance of steel-concrete composite columns", Mathematical Methods and Techniques in Engineering and Environmental Science, Catania, Italy, pp. 420-426. ISBN 978-1-61804-046-6
- Lopes, E. and Simoes, R. (2008), "Experimental and analytical behaviour of composite slabs", Steel Compos. Struct., Int. J., 8(5), 361-388. https://doi.org/10.12989/scs.2008.8.5.361
- Marques, B. and Simoes, R. (2011), "Improvement of the behavior of composite slabs", (L. Dunai, M. Ivanyi, K. Jarmai, N. Kovacs and L. Gerleny Vigh Eds.), EuroSteel 2008 - 5th European Conference on Steel and Composite Structures - Research - Design - Construction, ECCS, Budapest, Hungary, pp. 639-644.
- Rebelo, C., Lopes, L., Simoes da Silva, L., Nethercot, D. and Vila real, P.M.M. (2008), "Statistical evaluation of the lateral-torsional buckling resistance of steel I-beams, Part 1: Variability of the Eurocode 3 Resistance model", J. Construct. Steel Res., 65(4), 818-831.
- Simoes da Silva, L., Rebelo, L., Nethercot, D., Marques, L., Simoes, R. and Vila real, P.M.M. (2008), "Statistical evaluation of the lateral-torsional buckling resistance of steel I-beams, Part 2: Variability of steel properties", J. Construct. Steel Res., 65(4), 832-849.
- Wisniewski, D.F., Cruz, P.J.S., Henriques, A.A.R. and Simoes, R. (2012), "Probabilistic models for mechanical properties of concrete reinforcing steel and prestressing steel", Struct. Infrastruct. Eng. Maint. Manag., Life-Cycle Des. Perform., 8(2), 111-123.