- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
An Analysis on the Effects of EGR to Extend Operation Region for a HCCI Hydrogen Engine
HCCI 수소기관에서 운전영역확장을 위한 EGR 효과 분석
LEE, KEONSIK;KIM, JINGU;BYUN, CHANGHEE;LEE, JONGTAI
- Received : 2015.12.11
- Accepted : 2015.12.30
- Published : 2015.12.30
HCCI (Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition) hydrogen engine has relatively narrower operation range caused by knock occurrence due to the rapid pressure rising by using higher compression ratio. In this study, EGR as one of the countermeasure methods is considered to extend operation range of HCCI hydrogen engine. Also, the effects of hydrogen EGR are compared with the effects of EGR using hydrocarbon fuel. Hydrocarbon EGR is carried out by adding carbon dioxide to exhaust gas of HCCI hydrogen engine. As the results, EGR has positive effects on a HCCI hydrogen engine in reducing rate of pressure rise as same as the other engines used hydrocarbon fuels. However, the effects of hydrogen EGR are better than those of hydrocarbon EGR in decreasing minimum compression ratio and rate of pressure rise. When applying EGR to HCCI hydrogen engine by 20% rate, the rate of pressure rise decreases by 58% and it results in about 48% increase of the operation range in terms of supply energy.
Hydrogen-fueled enigne;HCCI;EGR;Knock;Hydrogen EGR;Hydrocarbon EGR
- Kwangju Lee, Thanh Cong Huynh, Joonkyoung Kang, Jongtai Lee, "Back-Fire Control of a Hydrogen- Fueled Engine with External Mixture by Using Intake Valve Opening Timing", KSAE Spring Conference Proceedings, pp. 600-605, 2008.
- Kwangju Lee, "A Study on the Development for a Compression Ignition Engine with Hydrogen-air Pre-mixture", Doctorate thesis, Sung -kyunkwan Uinv, pp. 129, 2013.
- K. J. Lee, Y. R. Kim, J. G. Lee, C. H. Byun, J. T. Lee, KHNES, OHU-01, pp. 227-229, 2011.
- Saurabh S. Patwardhan, K.N. Lakshm isham "Auto ignition of turbulent hydrogen jet in a coflow of heated air", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 33, pp. 7265-7273, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2008.08.064
- Yasuhiko OHTA, "Initaiations of engine knock : traditional and modern", FLAME STRU.
- S. Verhelst, J. Vancoillie, K. Naganuma, M. De Paepe, J Dierickx, Y. Huyghebaert, T Wallner, Setting a best practice for determining the EGR rate in hydrogen internal combustion engines, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 38(2013), pp. 2490-2503, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2012.11.138
Supported by : 한국연구재단