- Volume 40 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Symptom Prevalence and Work-related Risk Factors of Acute Pesticide Poisoning among Korean Farmers in Gyeong-gi Province
경기 일부지역 농업인의 급성농약중독 증상 유병률 및 직업성 위험요인
Lee, Hyang Seok;Lee, Ji Hoon;Roh, Soo Yong;Kim, Ho Gil;Lee, Kyung Jun;Nam-gung, Sun Ju;Kwon, Soon Chan;Lee, Soo Jin
- Received : 2015.10.19
- Accepted : 2015.12.19
- Published : 2015.12.31
Objectives: The purpose of this study was to measure the symptom prevalence of acute pesticide poisoning among farmers in Gyeong-gi province and to investigate the occupational risk factors. Methods: The subjects were 663 farmers using pesticide directly or indirectly and the survey was performed during 2013. 7. 11 - 2014. 8. 27. The data were analyzed by SPSS 21.0. Results: The prevalence of acute pesticide poisoning was 6.63% and dizziness was the most common symptom. Acute pesticide poisoning was related with 'days of pesticide use per year', 'lifetime pesticide application days', 'the number of pesticide mixture' and 'type of farming'. Conclusions: It is necessary to manage and educate the pesticide poisoning-vulnerable group more systematically. Afterward additional study is needed to investigate the farming safety behavior and delicate amount of pesticide exposure.
- Statistics Korea. Farm and population of farm family [Internet]. 2013 April 30 [cited 2015 December 15]. Available from: http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=2745.
- Lee WJ. Pesticide Exposure and Health. J Environ Health Sci. 2011;37(2):81-93 (Korean)
- National Institute of Agricultural Sciences. National Academy of Agricultural Science [Internet] 2012 November 25 [cited 2015 December 15] Available from: http://farmer.rda.go.kr/fhs/contents/con_view.do?p=1&g_cd=999001001002&m_id=9002_1554_1556_3913_5238.
- Statistics Korea. The number of farm family by type of farming [Internet]. 2014 April 17 [cited 2015 December 15] Available from: http://kosis.kr/statHtml/statHtml.do?orgId=101&tblId=DT_1EA1018&conn_path=I2.
- Statistics Korea. The amount of used pesticide and chemical fertilize [Internet]. 2013 December 16 [cited 2015 December 15] Available from: http://www.index.go.kr/potal/main/EachDtlPageDetail.do?idx_cd=2422.
- Lee K, Lim HS. Work-related injuries and diseases of farmers in Korea. Ind health 2008;46(5):424-434 https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.46.424
- Song JC, Calvert GM. Surveillance of acute Occupational Pesticide-related Illness: The US Experience. Korean J of Rural Med 2002;27(1):1-8 (Korean)
- Kim HJ, Cha ES, Moon EK, Ko YS, Kim JY, Jeong MA, Lee WJ. A Pilot Study for Pesticide Poisoning Symptoms and Information on Pesticide Use among Farmers. J Environ Health Sci 2011;37(1):22-28 (Korean)
- Lee WJ, Cha ES. Overview of pesticide poisoning in South Korea. J Rural Med 2009;4(2):53-58 (Korean) https://doi.org/10.2185/jrm.4.53
- Lee WJ, Cha ES, Park JW, Ko YS, Kim HJ, Kim JY. Incidence of acute occupational pesticide poisoning among male farmers in South Korea. Am J Ind Med 2012;55(9):799-807 https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.22024
- Kim JH, Kim JY, Cha ES, Ko YS, Kim DH, Lee WJ. Work-related risk factors by severity for acute pesticide poisoning among male farmers in South Korea. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2013;10(3):1100-1112 https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph10031100
- Kim HJ, Cha ES, Ko YS, Kim JY, Kim SD, Lee WJ. Pesticide poisonings in South Korea Findings from the National Hospital Discharge Survey 2004-2006. Hum Exp Toxicol 2012;31(8):751-758 https://doi.org/10.1177/0960327111431709
- Hong SS, You AS, Jeong MH, Park KH, Park JY, Lee YJ. Risk Assessment of Pesticide Operator Using Modified UK-POEM in Korean Orchard. Nongyag Gwahag Hoeji 2013;17(1):50-59 (Korean)
- Lee YH, Cha ES, Moon EK, Kong KA, Koh SB, Lee YK, Lee WJ. Reliability of self-reported information by farmers on pesticide use. J Prev Med Public Health 2010;43(6):535-542 https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.6.535
- Lim SW, Park SM, Lee YH, Lee WW, Ahn JY, Sohn YD, Ahn HC, Kim, HK. The Features and Prognoses in Organophosphate Intoxication according to Age. Hanguk Nonyonhak 2013;17(4):198-204 (Korean)
- Jensen HK, Konradsen F, Jors E, Petersen JH, Dalsgaard A. Pesticide Use and Self-Reported Symptoms of Acute Pesticide Poisoning among Aquatic Farmers in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. J Toxicol 2011;2011:639814. doi:10.1155/2011/639814 https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/639814
- Zhang X, Zhao W, Jing R, Wheeler K, Smith GA, Stallones L, Xiang H. Work-related pesticide poisoning among farmers in two villages of Southern China: a cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health 2011;11(1):429 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-429
- Lekei EE, Ngowi AV, London L. Farmers' knowledge, practices and injuries associated with pesticide exposure in rural farming villages in Tanzania. BMC Public Health 2014;14(1):389 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-389
- Neupane D, Jors E, Brandt L. Pesticide use, erythrocyte acetylcholinesterase level and self-reported acute intoxication symptoms among vegetable farmers in Nepal: a cross-sectional study. Environmental Health 2014;13(1):98 https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-069X-13-98
- Lee KM, Min SY, Chung MH. A Study on the Health Effects of Pesticide Exposure among Farmers. Korean J of Rural Med 2000;25(2):245-263 (Korean)
- Lee JB, Jeong MH, Sung HJ, Lee HK, Yang JS. Acute toxicity response caused by mixture or tank mix of several insecticides. Nongyag Gwahag Hoeji 2001;5(4):57-61 (Korean)
- Ihm YB, Kim KS, Kyung KS, Kim NS, Ha HY, Lee HD, Oh KS, Kim JW, Ryu GH. Survey of Pesticide Usage on Fruits in Korea. Nongyag Gwahag Hoeji 2003;7(4): 258-263 (Korean)
- Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. Agricultural chemicals regulation law 2015 [Internet]. [cited 2015 December 15] Available from: http://www.law.go.kr/lsInfoP.do?lsiSeq=172969&efYd=20150720#0000.
- Kim SP, Sun KH, Choo DH, Cho SH. Clinical Experiences Treating Edifenphos and Iprobenfos Intoxication Patients. Journal of the Korean Society of Emergency Medicine 2012;23(1):149-153 (Korean)
- Ncube NM, Fogo C, Bessler P, Jolly CM, Jolly PE. Factors associated with self-reported symptoms of acute pesticide poisoning among farmers in northwestern Jamaica. Arch Environ Occup Health 2011;66(2):65-74 https://doi.org/10.1080/19338244.2010.506495
- Collins J. Educational Techniques for Lifelong Learning: Principles of adult learning. Radiographics 2004;24:1483-1489 https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.245045020
- Risk-Accepting Personality and Associated Factors among Korean Farmers vol.42, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2016.42.5.333
Supported by : 농림축산식품부