- Volume 29 Issue 3
Purpose: This qualitative study aimed to understand older adults' perspectives on successful aging and develop a model of a successful aging process, within the Korean socio-cultural context. Methods: This study used a Grounded Theory approach. Through theoretical sampling, 14 participants were selected from older adults at a public health center and a volunteer institution in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. Results: The basic social process identified was "expanding the aging self", which was preceded by three phases, namely, adjusting to the changes, developing the valuable self, and embracing the environment. Participants used 2-3 strategies for successful aging in each phase. For adjusting to the changes, participants used strategies such as "adopting a positive attitude", "accepting the changes", and "being at the center of life". To develop the valuable self, "re-identifying capacities", "having something to do", and "advancing to a healthy lifestyle" were used. Participants embraced their environments with "sharing with others" and "embracing younger generations". The causal condition for expanding the aging self was the changes in participants' physical, mental, or psychosocial situations. Conclusion: These findings suggest a theoretical foundation for the development of potential nursing interventions to promote self-care management and the interpersonal relationship for successful aging among Korean elderly individuals.
Aging;Aged;Qualitative research;Grounded theory
- Baltes, M. M. & Carstensen, L. L. (1996). The process of successful aging. Agingand Society, 16(4), 397-422. http://dx.doi. org/10.1017/S0144686X00003603 https://doi.org/10.1017/S0144686X00003603
- Bryant, L. L., Corbett, K. K., & Kutner, J. S. (2001). In their own words: a model of healthy aging. Social Science & Medicine, 53(7), 927-941. http://dx.doi. org/10.1016/ S0277-9536 (00)00392-0 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(00)00392-0
- Chaves, M. L., Camozzato, A. L., Eizirik, C. L., & Kaye, J. (2009). Predictors of normal and successful aging among urban-dwelling elderly Brazilians. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences & Social Sciences, 64(5), 597-602. http://dx.doi. org/10.1093/ geronb/gbp059
- Cosco, T. D., Prina, A. M., Perales, J., Stephan, B. C., & Brayne, C. (2014). Operational definitions of successful aging: a systematic review. International Psychogeriatrics, 26(3), 373-381. http://dx.doi. org/10.1017/S10416 10213002287 https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610213002287
- Diehl, M., Wahl, H. W., Barrett, A. E., Brothers, A. F., Miche, M., Montepare, J. M., Westerhof, G. J., & Wurm, S. (2014). Awareness of aging: Theoretical considerations on an emerging concept. Developmental Review, 34(2), 93-113.http://dx.doi. org/10.1016/j.dr. 2014.01.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dr.2014.01.001
- Draucker, C. B., Martsolf, D. S., Ross, R., & Rusk, T. B. (2007). Theoretical sampling and category development in grounded theory. Qualitative Health Research, 17(8), 1137-1148.http://dx.doi. org/10.1177/1049 732307308450 https://doi.org/10.1177/1049732307308450
- Eom, M. R. (2002). Aging experience of older women. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Seoul National University, Seoul.
- Fry, C. L., Dickerson-Putman, J., Draper, P., Ikels, C., Keith, J., Glascock, A. P., & Harpending, H. C. (2009). Culture and the meaning of a good old age. In J. Sokolovski (Eds.), The cultural context of aging: Worldwide perspectives (3rd ed.) (pp. 99-123). Westport, Connecticut: Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Gong, B. H. (2010). Elderly care in Korea. Journal of Korean Feminist Philosophers, 13, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.17316/kfp.13..201006.1
- Hansen-Kyle, L. (2005). A concept analysis of healthy aging. Nursing Forum, 46(2), 45-57.
- Haugan, G. & Innstrand, S. T. (2012). The effect of self-transcendence on depression in cognitively intact nursing home patients. ISRN Psychiatry, 301325. http://dx.doi. org/10.5402/ 2012/301325
- Hong, K. & Ha, J. (2015). Aging anxiety, factors of successful aging and preparation for aging in elderly and late middle age. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 29(1), 29-39. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/ JKPHN.2015.29.1.29 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2015.29.1.29
- Horder, H. M., Frändin, K., & Larsson, M. E. (2013). Self-respect through ability to keep fear of frailty at a distance: Successful aging from the perspective of community -dwelling older people. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-being, 8, 20194. http://dx.doi. org/10.3402/qhw.v8i0.20194 https://doi.org/10.3402/qhw.v8i0.20194
- Iacono, M. V. (2014). Building respect. Journal of Perianesthesia Nursing, 29(4), 324-326. http://dx.doi. org/10.1016/j.jopan.2014.05.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jopan.2014.05.001
- Kim, J. S. & Kang, S. (2012). Baby boom generation's burden for taking care of children, aging anxiety, preparations for old age and quality of life. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 26(3), 440-452. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26. 3.440 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.3.440
- Lee, S. & Moon, M. (2012). The relationship of life satisfaction, health behaviors and successful aging in the elderly. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 26(2), 204-214. http://dx.doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN. 2012.26.2.204 https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.2.204
- McCarthy, V. L. & Bockweg, A. (2013). The role of transcendence in a holistic view of successful aging: a concept analysis and model of transcendence in maturation and aging. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 31(2), 84-92. http://dx.doi. org/10.1177/08980101 12463492 https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010112463492
- McNamara, T. K. & Gonzales, E. (2011). Volunteer transitions among older adults: the role of human, social, and cultural capital in later life. Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences & Social Sciences, 66(4), 490-501. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbr055 https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbr055
- Oh, D. N. (2012). Structural equation modeling on successful aging in elders: focused on selection, optimization, compensation strategy. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 42(3), 311-321. http://dx.doi. org/10.4040/ jkan.2012. 42.3.311 https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2012.42.3.311
- Oxtoby, K. (2014). A sense of mutual respect. Nursing Standard, 28(24), 64-65. http://dx.doi.org/10.7748/ns2014.02.28.24.64.s50 https://doi.org/10.7748/ns2014.02.28.24.64.s50
- Paik, J. E. (2008). Differences of perceived successful aging according to traditional values for Korean elderly. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 28(2), 227-249.
- Reichstadt, J., Sengupta, G., Depp, C. A., Palinkas, L. A., & Jeste, D. V. (2010). Older adults' perspectives on successful aging: qualitative interviews. The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 18(7), 567-575. http://dx.doi. org/10.1097/JGP.0b 013e3181e040bb https://doi.org/10.1097/JGP.0b013e3181e040bb
- Rowe, J. W. & Kahn, R. L. (1997). Successful aging. The Gerontologist, 37(4), 433-440. http://dx.doi. org/10.1093/geront/37.4.433 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/37.4.433
- Schindler, I., Paech, J., & Lowenbruck, F. (2015). Linking admiration and adoration to self-expansion: different ways to enhance one's potential. Cognition and Emotion, 29(2), 292-310. http://dx.doi. org/10.1080/ 02699931. 2014.903230 https://doi.org/10.1080/02699931.2014.903230
- Statistics Korea. (2014). Report on older adults statistics 2013. Retrieved from http://kostat. go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/3/index.board?b mode=read&aSeq=308689
- Strauss, A. & Corbin, J. (1998). Basic of qualitative research: grounded theory procedures and technique (2nd ed.). Newbury Park, CA: SAGE publications.
- Thiamwong, L., McManus, M. S., & Suwanno, J. (2013). Development of the Thai healthy aging model: a grounded theory study. Nursing and Health Sciences, 15, 256-261. http://dx.doi. org/10.1111/nhs.12028 https://doi.org/10.1111/nhs.12028
- Torres, S. (2006). Different ways of understanding the construct of successful aging : Iranian immigrants speak about what aging well means to them. Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology, 21(1-2), 1-23.
- Troutman, M., Nies, M. A., & Mavellia, H. (2011). Perceptions of successful aging in Black older adults. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 49(1), 28-34. http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/02793695-20101201-01 https://doi.org/10.3928/02793695-20101201-01
- Willcox, D. C., Willcox, B. J., Sokolovsky, J., & Sakihara, S. (2007). The cultural context of "successful aging" among older women weavers in a northern Okinawan village: the role of productive activity. Journal of Cross-Cultural Gerontology, 22(2), 137-165. http://dx.doi. org/10.1007/s10823-006-9032-0 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10823-006-9032-0