- Volume 48 Issue 6
The study area is located in the western part of the Precambrian stock type of Sancheong anorthosite complex, the Jirisan province of the Yeongnam massif, in the southern part of the Korean Peninsula. We perform a detailed field geological investigation on the Sancheong anorthosite complex, and report the characteristics of lithofacies, occurrences, foliations, and research formation process and its mechanism of the Sancheong anorthosite complex. The Sancheong anorthosite complex is classified into massive and foliation types of Sancheong anorthosite (SA), Fe-Ti ore body (FTO), and mafic granulite (MG). Foliations are developed in the Sancheong anorthosite complex except the massif type of SA. The foliation type of SA, FTO, MG foliations are magmatic foliations which were formed in a not fully congealed state of SA from a result of the flow of FTO and MG melts and the kinematic interaction of SA blocks, and were continuously produced in the comagmatic differentiation. The Sancheong anorthosite complex is formed as the following sequence: the massive type of SA (a primary fractional crystallization of parental magmas under high pressure)
Sancheong anorthosite complex;Fe-Ti ore body;mafic granulite;magmatic foliation;comagmatic differentiation
- Ahn, S.-H., Kim, J.-S., Cho, H.S., Son, M., Kim, I.-S. and Ryoo, C.-R. (2009) New reported Titaniferous Ore Body and mafic granulite in the Proterozoic Sancheong Anorthositic Rocks, South Korea (Abstract). Joint conference of the Geological Science and Technology of Korea, p.160.
- Ashwal, L.D. (1993) Anorthosites. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 422p.
- Balk, R. (1931) Structural geology of Adirodack anorthosite. A structural study of the problem of magmatic differentiation. Zeitschrift fur Kristallographie, Mineralogie und Petrographie, v.41, p.308-434. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02938750
- Charlier, B., Namur, O., Malpas, S., de Marneffe, C., Duchesne, J.-C., Auwera, J.V. and Bolle, O. (2010) Origin of the giant Allard Lake ilmenite ore deposit (Canada) by fractional crystallization, multiple magma pulses and mixing. Lithos, v.117, p.119-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2010.02.009
- Charlier, B., Skar, O., Korneliussen, A., Duchesne, J.-C. and Vander Auwera, J. (2007) Ilmenite composition in the Tellnes Fe-Ti deposit, SW Norway: fractional crystallization, postcumulus evolution and ilmenitezircon relation. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v.154, p.119-134. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00410-007-0186-8
- Chen, W.T., Zhou, M.-F. and Zhao, X.-F. (2013) Late Paleoproterozoic sedimentary and mafic rocks in the Hekou area, SW China: Implication for the reconstruction of the Yangtze Block in Columbia. Precambrian Research, v.231, p.61-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.precamres.2013.03.011
- Chi, S.-J., Koh, S.-M., Pak, S.-J., Koh, I.-S., Seo, J.-R., Kim, D.-Y., Yoo, J.-H., Kim, S.-Y., Lee, M.-J., Kim, Y.-U., Lee, J.-H., Kim, Y.-D., Lee, H.-Y., Kim, I.-J., Heo, C.-H. and Ryoo, C.-R. (2008) Revaluation of strategy mineral resources and development of exploration techniques for ore deposits. Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, GP2007-017-2008(2), 121-157./ 403p.
- Chubb, P.T., Peck, D.C., James, R.S. and Ercit, T.S. (1995) Nature and origin of nodular textures in anorthositic cumulates from the East Bull Lake Intrusion, Ontario, Canada. Mineralogy and Petrology, v.54, p.93-103. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01162761
- Duchesne, J.C., Liegeois, J.P., Vander Auwera, J. and Longhi, J. (1999) The crustal tongue melting model and the origin of massive anorthosites. Terra Nova, v.11, p.100-105. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-3121.1999.00232.x
- Jeong, J.-G. (1987) Magmatic Differentiation of the Anorthositic Rocks in Hadong-Sancheong Area. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.23, p.216-228.
- Jeong, J.-G. and Lee, S.-M. (1986) Regional metamorphism of anorthositic rocks in Hadong-Sancheong area. Memory for Professor Sang Man Lee's 60th, p.87-106.
- Jeong, J.-G., Kim, W.-S. and Watkinson, D.H. (1989) Geologic Structure of Hadong Anorthositic Rocks and Associated Titanium Orebody. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.25, p.98-111.
- Jung, J.S., Kim, J.-S., Cho, H.S., Song, C.-W., Son, M., Ryoo, C.-R., Chi, S.J. and Kim, I.-S. (2010) Occurrence and Deformation of Fe-Ti ores from the Proterozoic Hadong Anorthosites, Korea. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.19, p.31-49.
- Kang, J.-H. and Lee, D.-S. (2014) Genetic Relationship and Structural Characteristics of the Fe-Ti Ore Body and the Sancheong Anorthosite, Korea. Economic and Environmental Geology, v.47, p.571-588. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2014.47.6.571
- Kang, J.-H., Lee, D.-S. and Ryoo, C.-R. (2013) Genetic Relationship and Occurrence Characteristics of the Fe-Ti Ore Bodies, Mafic Granulites, Sancheong Anorthositic Rocks, Korea (Abstract). Proceedings of the Annual Joint Conference, Mineralogical Society of Korea and Petrological Society of Korea, p.23-24.
- Kim, D.-Y., Park, K.-H. and Song, Y.-S. (2000) Development ages of charnockites and anorthositic rocks of Jirisan area and their genetic relationship (Abstract). Proceedings of the Annual Joint Conference, Petrological Society of Korea and Mineralogical Society of Korea, p.37.
- Kim, D.-Y., Song, Y.-S. and Park, K.-H. (1998) Petrological, Geochemical and Geochronological Studies of Charnockite of Eastern Jirisan Area (Abstract). Proceedings of the Annual Conference, Geological Society of Korea, p.35-36.
- Kim, D.-Y., Song, Y.-S. and Park, K.-H. (2002) Petrogenesis and Metamorphism of Charnockite of Eastern Jirisan Area. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.11, p.138-156.
- Kim, H.S. (1970) Regional Metamorphism of the South-Western Part of Korea. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.6, p.97-118.
- Kim, J.-S., Ahn, S.-H., Cho, H.S., Song, C.-W., Son, M., Ryoo, C.-R. and Kim, I.-S. (2011) Occurrences of Fe-Ti Ore Bodies and Mafic Granulite in the Sancheong Anorthosites, Korea. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.20, p.115-135. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2011.20.2.115
- Kim, J.-S., Cho, H.S., Ahn, S.-H., Song, C.-W., Son, M. and Kim, I.-S. (2010) SHRIMP U-Pb age of the Sancheong Anorthositic Rocks and Dyke Swarms, Yeongnam Massif, Korea (Abstract). Joint conference of the Geological Science and Technology of Korea, p.125-126.
- Kim, S.-Y., Seo, J.-R., Yang, J.-I, Kim, S.-B. (1991) Study on geology and ore deposits for rare metals in Hadong-Uljin Area, Korea. Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, KR-91-2D-1, 156p.
- Koh, S.-M. (2010) Occurrences of Ilmenite Deposits in Hadong-Sancheong Area. Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, v.23, p.25-37.
- Koh, S.-M., Yoo, J.-H., Kim, Y.-U., Lee, H.-Y., Kim, S.-Y. and Song, M.-S. (2003) Evaluation and Exploration of Titanium and Feldspar Deposits in Hadong-Sancheong-Hapcheon Area. Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, KR-03(c)-16, 70p.
- Kwon, S.-T. and Jeong, J.-G. (1990) Preliminary Sr-Nd isotope study of the Hadong-Sancheong anorthositic rocks in Korea: implication for their origin and for the Precambrian tectonics. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.26, p.341-349.
- Lee, D.-S. and Kang, J.-H. (2012) Geological Structures of the Hadong Northern Anorthosite Complex and its surrounding Area in the Jirisan Province, Yeongnam Massif, Korea. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.21, p.287-307. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2012.21.3.287
- Lee, J.M., Jeong, J.G. and Kim, W.S. (1999) The Preliminary Study on the Evolution of Hadong Anorthositic Rocks and Their Genetic Relations with Ilmenite-Bearing Ore Bodies, Korea. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.35, p.321-336.
- Lee, S.M. (1980) Some Metamorphic Aspects of the Meta-pelites in Jirisan(Hadong-Sancheong) Region. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.16, p.1-15.
- Lee, S.M. and Kim, H.S. (1984) Metamorphic Studies on the so-called Yulri and Weonnam Groups in the Mt. Taebaeg Area. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.20, p.195-214.
- Lee, S.M., Na, K.C., Lee, S.H., Park, B.Y. and Lee, S.W. (1981) Regional Metamorphism of the Metamorphic Rock Complex in the Southeastern Region of the Sobaegsan Massif. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.17, p.169-188.
- Lee, Y.-T., Lee, S.-W. and Ock, S.-S. (2004) Petrology of Charnockite in Sancheong Area. Journal of the Korean Earth Science Society, v.25, p.251-264.
- Lee, Y., Cho, M. Cheong, W., and Yi, K. (2014) A massiftype (-1.86 Ga) anorthosite complex in the Yeongnam Massif, Korea: late-orogenic emplacement associated with the mantle delamination in the North China Craton. Terra Nova, v.26, p.408-416. https://doi.org/10.1111/ter.12115
- McLelland, J., Ashwal, L. and Moore, L. (1994) Composition and petrogenesis of oxide-, apatite-rich gabbronorites associated with Proterozoic anorthosite massifs: examples from the Adirondack Mountains, New York. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology, v.116, p.225-238. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00310702
- McLelland, J., Selleck, B., Hamilton, M.A. and Bickford, M.E. (2010) Late- to post-tectonic setting of some major proterozoicAnorthosite-mangerite-charnockite-granite (AMCG) suites. The Canadian Mineralogist, v.48, p.1025-1046. https://doi.org/10.3749/canmin.48.4.1025
- Mukherjee, A. and Das, S. (2002) Anorthosites, granulites and the supercontinent cycle. Gondwana Research, v.5, p.147-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1342-937X(05)70898-4
- Owens, B.E. and Dymek, R.F. (2001) Petrogenesis of the Labrieville alkalic anorthosite massif, Grenville Province, Quebec. Journal of Petrology, v.42, p.1519-1546. https://doi.org/10.1093/petrology/42.8.1519
- Park, K.-H., Kim, D.-Y. and Song, Y.-S. (2001) Sm-Nd mineral ages of charnockites and ilmenite-bearing anorthositic rocks of Jirisan area and their genetic relationship. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.10, p.27-35.
- Park, K.-H., Song, Y.-S., Park, M.-E., Lee, S.-G. and Ryu, H.-J. (2000) Petrological, Geochemical and Geochronological Studies of Precambrian Basement in Northeast Asia Region: 1. Age of the Metamorphism of Jirisan Area. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.9, p.29-38.
- River, T. (1997) Lithotectonic elements of the Grenville Province: review and tectonic implications. Precambrian Research, v.86, p.117-154. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-9268(97)00038-7
- Ryoo, C.-R., Kim, J.-S., Son, M., Koh, S.-M., Lee, H.Y. and Kang, J.-H. (2013) Development Pattern and Ductile Deformation of the Sancheong Fe-Ti Mineralized Zone, Korea. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.22, p.1-9. https://doi.org/10.7854/JPSK.2013.22.1.001
- Seo, J.-R., Park, S.-W., Lee, P.-K., Oh, M.-S. and Lee, B.-J. (1992) Study on geology and ore deposits for rare metals in Hadong Area, Korea. Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources, KR-92-1C-2, 72p.
- Son, C.M. and Cheong, J.G. (1972) On the Origin of Anorthosite in the Area of Hadong Sancheong, Gyeongsang-namdo, Korea. Journal of the Koeran Institute of Mining Geology, v.5, p.1-20.
- Song, Y.-S. (1999) Granulite xenoliths in porphyroblastic gneiss from Mt. Jiri area, SW Sobaegsan massif, Korea. Journal of the Petrological Society of Korea, v.8, p.34-45.
- Song, Y.-S. and Lee, S.M. (1989) Petrology of the Precambrian Metamorphic Rocks from the Central Sobaegsan Massif, Korea. Journal of the Geological Society of Korea, v.25, p.451-468.
- Turek, A. and Kim, C.-B. (1995) U-Pb zircon ages of Mesozoic plutons in the Damyang-Geochang area Ryongnam massif, Korea. Geochemical Journal, v.29, p.243-258. https://doi.org/10.2343/geochemj.29.243
- Turek, A. and Kim, C.-B. (1996) U-Pb zircon ages for Precambrian rocks in southwesten Ryeongnam and southwesten Gyeonggi massif, Korea. Geochemical Journal, v.30, p.231-249. https://doi.org/10.2343/geochemj.30.231
- Zhang, C.J., Gao, L.Z., Wu, Z.J., Shi, X.Y., Yan, Q.R. and Li, D.J. (2007) SHRIMP U-Pb zircon age of tuff from the Kunyang Group in central Yunnan: evidence for Grenvillian orogeny in South China. Chinese Science Bulletin, v.52, p.1517-1525. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11434-007-0225-x
- Zhao, T.P., Chen, W. and Zhou, M.F. (2009) Geochemical and Nd-Hf isotopic constraints on the origin of the -1.74 Ga Damiao anorthosite complex. North China Craton. Lithos, v.113, p.673-690. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lithos.2009.07.002
- Zhao, T.P., Zhou, M.F., Zhai, M.G. and Xia, B. (2002) Paleoproterozoic rift-related volcanism of the Xiong'er Group in the North China Craton: implications for the break-up of Columbia. International Geological Review, v.44, p.336-351. https://doi.org/10.2747/0020-6818.104.22.1686
- Tectonic evolution of Precambrian basement massifs and an adjoining fold-and-thrust belt (Gyeonggi Marginal Belt), Korea: An overview vol.21, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12303-017-0044-2
Supported by : 한국연구재단