- Volume 48 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Assessment for the Possibility of Water-ecosystem Restoration Applying LID Techniques in the Deokjin Park Area, Jeonju City
LID기법을 이용한 전주 덕진공원의 수생태 복원 가능성 평가
Choi, Seung-Hyun;Kim, Seok-Hwi;Kim, Kangjoo
- Received : 2015.11.30
- Accepted : 2015.12.24
- Published : 2015.12.28
In this study, we investigated the restoration possibility of the old streams by enhancing the rainwater infiltration in the watershed of Deokjin Park, Jeonju City. This study was performed by modeling groundwater discharge to the streams under various conditions. We assessed the amount and location of groundwater recharge enhancement to restore the streams and evaluated whether the baseflows of the restored streams are sufficient to keep the water ecosystem of the Deokjin Pond. The results show that the baseflow of the streams can persist for a longer time even during the dry season when the rainwater drainage system is recovered similarly to the those before development using low impact development (LID) techniques. The enhancements of recharge in the headwater area, which is the area around the zoo and Daeji Village in the Deokjin Park watershed, is useful to increase the baseflows of the downstream reaches. Furthermore, spreaded recharge over a widespread area is better to prevent the streams from drying than the intensive recharge at a few sites.
Deokjin Park;restoration of water-ecosystem;rainwater drainage system;LID;groundwater recharge
- Anderson, M.P. and Woessner, W.W. (1991) Applied Groundwater Modeling: simulation of flow and advective transport. Academic Press, p.391.
- Choi, J.Y. (2010) Development of infiltration and filtration technology for natural water circulation system. Master Dissertation, Kongju National University.
- Choi, S.H., Kim, S.H., Kim, K. and Oh, C.W. (2015) A study on obtaining waters to restore the water-ecosystem of Deokjin Pond in Jeonju: New paradigm for restoration of urban reservoirs. Korea Society of Economic and Environmental Geology (in review).
- City of Seattle, Seattle's Natural Drainage Systems: A low-impact development approach to stormwater management.
- Federal Interagency Stream Restoration Working Group (FISRWG) (1998) Stream Corrider Restoration: Principles, Processes, and Practices.
- Hong, M.S. and Kim, Y.W. (1969) Geological map of Korea (Samrye) 1:50,000, Korea Institute of Geoscience And Mineral Resources, p.32.
- Harbaugh, A.W. (2005) MODFLOW-2005, The U.S. geological survey modular ground-water model the ground-water flow process, U.S. Geological Survey Techniques and Methods 6-A16.
- KIGAM (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) (2001) A Survey Report for the Basics of Groundwater in Jeonju and Wanju Areas. Ministry of Construction and Transportation.
- Kim, K., Lee, J.S., Oh, C.W., Hwang, G.S., Yu, J.Y., Kim, J., Yeo, S., K, Y. and Lee, K. (2001) Estimation of stream discharges using effluents from a wastewater treatment plant. Journal of Korean Society on Water Quality, v.17, p.75-86
- Kim, K., Lee, J.S., Oh, C.W., Hwang, G.S., Kim, J., Yeo, S., Kim, Y. and Park, S. (2002) Inorganic chemicals in effluent-dominated streams as indicators for chemical reactions and stream flows. Journal of Hydrology, v.264, p.147-156. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-1694(02)00074-4
- Kim, K., Oh C.W., Kim, S.H. and Choi, S.H. (2014) A survey of water sources and flow rates for restoration of water-ecosystem in the Deokjin Park Watershed, Jeonju City.
- McDonald, M.G. and Harbaugh, A.W. (1984) A modular three-dimensional finite-difference ground-water flow model: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 83-875, 528p.
- MLTMA (Ministry of Land Transport and Maritime Affairs) (2012) Basic plan for groundwater management 2012-2021.
- ME (Ministry of Environment) (2013) Manual for applying LID to the environmental impact assessment.
- ME (Ministry of Environment) (2014) A management and operation manual for the nonpoint pollution source control facilities.
- Shaw, E.M. (1994) Hydrology in practice. Int'l Thomson Publishing, USA.
- ME, KECO (2013) A technical guideline for Low Impact Development (LID).
- Calculation of Rainwater and Groundwater Fraction in Sewerage: A Case Study in Deokjin Park, Jeonju vol.49, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2016.49.5.361
- Measurement of groundwater-surface water exchange rates using seepage meters: A case study of Deokjin Pond in Jeonju-si vol.54, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.14770/jgsk.2018.54.4.433
Supported by : 한국연구재단