- Volume 48 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Coordinate Transformation of Digital Geological Map in accordance with the World Geodetic System (A Case Study of Chungju and Hwanggang-ri Sheets using ArcToolbox)
수치지질도의 세계측지계 좌표변환 (ArcToolbox를 이용한 충주 및 황강리 도폭의 사례)
- Received : 2015.09.17
- Accepted : 2015.11.13
- Published : 2015.12.28
In Korea, the use of world geodetic system(WGS) has been mandated in year 2010. Accordingly, the national geographic information institute(NGIS) provides the digital maps according to the WGS. Nevertheless, most of the digital geological maps are still based on the Tokyo Datum(TD). Therefore, users should conduct 2D/3D geological spatial analysis after converting the coordinates of digital geological maps to WGS. The conversion process is often tedious and troublesome for certain users. Therefore, in this study, the method to transform coordinate from TD to WGS using ArcToolbox is introduced for users not familiar with the process. For a better appreciation, the Chungju and Hwanggang-ri digital sheets of 1:50,000 scale was chosen as an example. Here, Chungju and Hwanggang-ri sheets were defined based on the TD-central origin and TD-east origin, respectively. The two sheets were merged after the transformation of TD-east origin of Hwanggang-ri to the TD-central origin, and eventually transformed to WGS-central origin. The merged map was found to match exactly with the digital map(Daeso 367041). The problem of coordinate determination in previous digital geological maps was solved effectively. The proposed method is believed to be helpful to 2D/3D geological spatial analysis of various geological thematic maps.
digital geological map;digital map;world geodetic system;Tokyo datum;ArcToolbox
- ESRI (2015) http://www.esri.com.
- KIGAM (Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) (2008) Standardization of Geological Information for the Intercommunity and Distribution, Ministry of Knowledge Economy, 373p.
- Lee, S., Oh, H.-J., Heo, C.-H. and Park I. (2014) A case study for the integration of predictive mineral potential maps, Central European Journal of Geosciences, v.6(3), p.373-392.
- NGII (National Geographic Information Institute) (2003) Development of Coordinate Transformation Tool for Existing Digital Map II, Ministry of Construction & Transportation, 139p.
- NGII (National Geographic Information Institute) (2001) Development of Coordinate Transformation Tool for Existing Digital Map I, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport, 188p.
- MOLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport) (2009) From 2010, the global coordinate system changes from the tokyo datum to the world geodetic system (WGS): For the standardization and reliability improvement of geographic information of WGS, MOLIT, 2p.
- Park, G., Cho, S.-J., Oh, H.-J. and Lee, C.-W. (2014) Mineral Potential Mapping of Gagok Mine Using 3D Geological Modeling, Journal of Korean Earth Science Society, v.35(6), p.412-421. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2014.35.6.412
- Sohn, D.-J., Lee, H.-J. and Yu, Y.-G. (2009) The Research on scheme for revitalization of Conversion into World Geodetic Reference System, Journal of the Korean Society of Survey, Geodesy, Photogrammetry, and Cartography, v.27(3), p.311-321.
- Yang, C. (2014) Development of the Process of Coordinate Transformation of Local Datum Cadastral Map to the World Geodetic System - Using Adjusted Coordinate -, Journal of the Korean Society of Survey, Geodesy, Photogrammetry, and Cartography, v.32(4-2), p.401-412. https://doi.org/10.7848/ksgpc.2014.32.4-2.401
- Zanchi, A., Francesca, S., Stefano, Z., Simone, S. and Graziano, G. (2009) 3D reconstruction of complex geological bodies: Examples from the Alps, Computers & Geosciences, v.35(1), p.49-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cageo.2007.09.003
- Summarized Reviews on Geodetic Coordinate System and Map Projection for Practitioners in Exploration Geophysics vol.19, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7582/GGE.2016.19.4.236