- Volume 31 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Research Designs for inquiring Children's Play Environment and Play Behavior in Residential Neighborhoods - based on Analysis of Recent Causality Studies -
근린의 아동 놀이환경과 놀이행태 연구설계의 특성 - 최근의 영향관계 연구사례 분석을 중심으로 -
- Park, So-Hyun ;
- Yoo, Da-Un ;
- Choi, Yee-Myung ;
- Kang, Hyun-Mi ;
- Kim, Hyun-Ju
- 박소현 ;
- 유다은 ;
- 최이명 ;
- 강현미 ;
- Received : 2015.09.30
- Accepted : 2015.12.17
- Published : 2015.12.31
The purpose of this study is to review recent causality studies on relationship between children's play environment and play behavior in residential neighborhoods. Seven key precedent studies in the past ten years have been analyzed to understand their research design structures and procedures: research objectives, research subjects & scope, and research methods. The research findings are as follows. First, complement of research design is required that both qualitative and quantitative methods are connected for examining definitive relationship between children's play environment and play behavior. Second, showing characteristics of children's play behavior, researches for children's play environment are differentiated itself from existing walkability studies of residential neighborhoods. In addition, This study highlights critical issues and methodological commonalities shared among researchers in disciplines of public health, transportation, urban planing, etc. The results of this study provides preliminary foundations and guidelines for future researches of the physical environment concerning children's outdoor play.
children;outdoor play;neighborhood;physical environment;play environment;research design;review
- Aarts, M. J., Wendel-Vos, W., van Oers, H. A., van de Goor, I. A., & Schuit, A. J. (2010). Environmental determinants of outdoor play in children: a large-scale cross-sectional study. American journal of preventive medicine, 39(3), 212-219. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2010.05.008
- Aarts, M. J., de Vries, S. I., Van Oers, H. A., & Schuit, A. J. (2012). Outdoor play among children in relation to neighborhood characteristics: a cross-sectional neighborhood observation study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physicak Activity, 9(1), 98. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-9-98
- Andranovich, G. D., & Riposa, G.(1993). Doing Urban Research. Applied Social Research Methods Series, Volume 33. Sage publications, Inc. 33-44
- Anthamatten, P.,Brink, L., Lampe, S., Greenwood, E., Kingston, B., & Nigg, C.(2011), An assessment of schoolyard renovation strategies to encourage children's physical activity. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 8(1), 27. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8-27
- Bringolf-Isler, B., Grize, L., Mäder, U., Ruch, N., Sennhauser, F. H., & Braun-Fahrländer, C. (2010). Built environment, parents' perception, and children's vigorous outdoor play. Preventive medicine, 50(5), 251-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2010.03.008
- Brockman, R., Jago, R., & Fox, K. R. (2011). Children's active play: self-reported motivators, barriers and facilitators. BMC Public Health, 11(4), 461-467. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-461
- Choi, M., & Byun, H.(2006). A Case Study on the Relationship between Children's Play Behaviors and Outdoor Play Environments of Child Care Center in Daejeon. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 15(6), 919-935.
- Choi, M., & Byun, H.(2007). A Case Study on the Children's Play Behaviors and Outdoor's Environment of Child Care Center in Seoul. Journal of the Korean Housing Association, 18(3), 91-102.
- Cleland, V.,& Venn, A.(2010). Encouraging Physical Activity and Discouraging Sedentary Behavior in Children and Adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health. 47(3), 221-222. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.06.022
- Creswell, J. W. (2013). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. Sage publications.
- Frost, J. L., Wortham, S. C., & Reifel, R. S. (2008). Play and child development. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Ginsburg, K. R., (2007). The importance of play in promoting healthy child development and maintaining strong parent-child bonds. Pediatrics, 119(1), 182-191. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2006-2697
- Handy, S., Cao, X., & Mokhtarian, P. (2008). Neighborhood design and children's outdoor play: Evidence from Northern California. Children Youth and Environments, 18(2), 160-179.
- Hedrick, T. E., Bickman, L., Rog, D. J.(1993). Applied research design : a practical guide. Sage publications, Inc. 15-38.
- Johansson, M. (2006). Environment and parental factors as determinants of mode for children's leisure travel. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 26(2), 156-169. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvp.2006.05.005
- Kang, G.,& Kim, Y. (2011). A Study on the Educational Anthropological Meaning of Children's Outdoor Play. Philosophy Of education, 43, 1-35.
- Kim, E.(2005). Study on the Actual Conditions of Outdoor Play in Kindergartens and Childcare Centers and Teachers' Perceptions of Outdoor Play in Deagu City. The Korean Journal of Child Education, 14(2), 271-286.
- Lee, H.(2007). Toddler's Play Behaviors According to Indoor and Outdoor Environments. Journal of Korea Open Association for Early Childhood Education,12(1), 97-121.
- Linda, g., David, W.(2002). Architectural Research Methods. John Wiley & Sons, 99.
- Min, B.(1996). Children's Outdoor Play in New Towns: A Descriptive Evaluation. Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea Planning & Design, 12(4), 3-18.
- Page, A. S., Cooper, A. R., Griew, P., & Jago, R. (2010). Independent mobility, perceptions of the built environment and children's participation in play, active travel and structured exercise and sport: the PEACH Project. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 7(1), 17. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-7-17
- Pyun, H. (2012). Play is food. Sonamoo publications.
- Remmers, T., Broeren, S. M., Renders, C. M., Hirasing, R. A., van Grieken, A., & Raat, H. (2014). A longitudinal study of children's outside play using family environment and perceived physical environment as predictors. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 11(1), 76. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-11-76
- Storli, R. & Hagen, TL. (2010). Affordances in outdoor environments and children's physically active play in preschool. European Early Childhood Education Research Journal, 18(4), 445-456. https://doi.org/10.1080/1350293X.2010.525923
- Tappe, K. A., Glanz, K., Sallis, J. F., Zhou, C., & Saelens, B. E. (2013). Children's physical activity and parents' perception of the neighborhood environment: neighborhood impact on kids study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 10(1), 39. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-10-39
- Veitch, J., Bagley, S., Ball, K., &Salmon, J. (2006). Where do children usually play? A qualitative study of parents' perceptions of influences on children's active free-play. Health &place, 12(4), 383-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2005.02.009
- Veitch, J., Salmon, J., & Ball, K (2007), Children's Perceptions of the Use of Public Open Spaces for Active Free-play, Children's Geographies, 5(4), 409-422. https://doi.org/10.1080/14733280701631874
- Veitch, J., Salmon, J., & Ball, K. (2010). Individual, social and physical environmental correlates of children's active free-play: a cross-sectional study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 7(11), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-7-1
- Villanueva, K., Corti, B. G., Bulsara, M., Timperio, A., McCormack, G., Beesley, B.,Trapp, G.,Middleton, N.(2013). Where Do Children Travel to and What Local Opportunities Are Available? The Relationship Between Neighborhood Destinations and Children's Independent Mobility. Environment and Behavior, 45(6), 679-705 https://doi.org/10.1177/0013916512440705
- Weir, L.A., Etelson, D., Brand, D. A. (2006). Parents' perceptions of neighborhood safety and children's physical activity. Preventive medicine, 43(3), 212-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2006.03.024
- Weller, S.,& Bruegel, I.(2009), Children's 'Place' in the Development of Neighbourhood Social Capital. Urban Studies, 46(3), 629-643 https://doi.org/10.1177/0042098008100998
- Woolley, H., & Lowe, A. (2013). Exploring the relationship between design approach and play value of outdoor play spaces. Landscape Research, 38(1), 53-74. https://doi.org/10.1080/01426397.2011.640432
Supported by : 한국연구재단