- Volume 31 Issue 12
This study aims to explore core journals in the field of Architecture and Urban Studies (AUS). This study analyzes 537,556 citation data of 2,075 KCI journals using social network analysis approach. First, using a visualization method, 50 journals are selected as an AUS journal. Second, three journals are determined as core journals of each sub-field using a network centrality analysis: Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea - Planning & Design (architecture); Journal of the Architectural Institute of Korea - Structure & Construction (architectural engineering); and Journal of the Korea Planners Association (urban studies). These results can be used by researchers, professors, and planners who want to review research trends of AUS. Moreover, Architecture and Urban Research Information Center (AURIC) improves their service boundaries based on the results.
Architecture and Urban Studies;Core Journals;Social Network Analysis;Impact Factor;Korea Citation Index
- Baek, S., Lee, G., & Kim, G. (2000). Grading Korean journals in material engineering, Ceramist, 3(4), 118-125.
- Batista, D., Campiteti, G., Kinouchi, O., & Martinez, S. (2006). Is it possible to compare researchers with different scientific interests?, Scientometrics, 68, 179-189. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-006-0090-4
- Bollen, J., Van de Sompel, H., Smith, J., & Luce, R. (2005). Toward alternative metrics of journal impact: A comparison of download and citation data, Information Processing & Management, 41(6), 1419-1440. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ipm.2005.03.024
- Braun, T., Glanzel, W., & Schubert, A. (2006). A Hirsch-type index for journals, Scientometrics, 69, 169-173. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-006-0147-4
- Freestone, R. (2011). Commentary: Ranking planning journals in the Australian research assessment exercise, 2008-2010, Journal of Planning Education and Research, 31(1), 88-94. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739456X10397015
- Cyram (2014). Social Network Analysis using NetMiner: Basic Course. unpublished education materials.
- Hirsch, E. (2005). An index to quantify an individual's scientific research output, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 102(46), 16569-16572. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0507655102
- Hwang, H., Choi, H., Choi, H., & Nam, G. (2007). Constructing core journal lists in the field of Sci-Tech, Proceedings of the 2007 Annual Conference of the Korean Contents Association, 112-115.
- Kim, S. (2014). Determining core journals in architecture and urban studies using network analysis, AURI Policy Updates, 21, 66-98.
- Kim, S., & Lee, C. (2004). Analysis of evaluation indicators for the development of evaluation models of foreign academic journals, Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, 21(2), 45-67.
- Ko, Y., & Park, J. (2012). A study on the correlation between the index values and qualitative, quantitative evaluation elements and the distinction ability of the journals' registration condition of the KCI-based composite index in evaluating Korean journals, Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 46(2), 245-260. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2012.46.2.245
- Ko, Y, Cho, S., & Park, Y. (2011). A study on the optimization of KCI-based index (Kor-Factor) in evaluating Korean journals, Scientometrics, 88, 61-71. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-011-0384-z
- Ko, Y., Cho, S., & Park, J. (2013). A study on the "Kor-hT", a modified tapered h-index, by applying the ranking according to the number of citations of journals in evaluating Korean journals, Journal of the Korean Society for Information Management, 30(4), 111-131.
- Lee, S. (2003). Qualitative level of the Korean and American journal paper, Journal of the Korean Library and Information Science Society, 37(1), 227-246. https://doi.org/10.4275/KSLIS.2003.37.1.227
- McCain, W. (1991). Core journal networks and cocitation maps: New bibiliometric tools for serials research and management, Library Quarterly, 61(3), 311-336. https://doi.org/10.1086/602370
- McCulloh, I., Armstrong, H., & Johnson, A. (2013). Social Network Analysis with Applications, Hoboken, New Jersey, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Morris, A., & McCain, W. (1998). The structure of medical informatics journal literature, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 5(5), 448-466. https://doi.org/10.1136/jamia.1998.0050448
- Park, H., Lee, S., & Na, H. (2011). Rankings, citation relationships, and the network structure of major Korean public administration journals, Korea Journal of Public Administration, 49(4), 1-24.
- Paynter, A., Jackson, M., & Mullen, B. (2010). Core journal lists: Classic tool, new relevance, Behavioral & Social Sciences Librarian, 29(1), 15-31. https://doi.org/10.1080/01639260903571096
- Webster, C. (2006). Ranking planning journals, Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, 33(4), 485-490. https://doi.org/10.1068/b3304ed
- Yoo, S., & Jang, B. (2006). A Study on the analysis of document delivery service for the development of overseas S&T core journals, Proceedings of the 2006 Annual Conference of the Korean Contents Association, 4(2), 662-666.
- Korea Citation Index, www.kci.go.kr (2014.10.01.).