- Volume 31 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Exploring Characteristics of Walkable Neighborhood Design Strategies: A Case Study of Recent Trends and Pangyo · Dongtan Areas
근린주거지 보행친화 설계기법의 특성 연구 - 국내·국외 최근 계획 경향과 판교·동탄 사례를 중심으로 -
- Lee, Jeeun ;
- Park, So-Hyun
- 이지은 ;
- Received : 2015.09.03
- Accepted : 2015.12.12
- Published : 2015.12.31
This paper explores characteristics of recent design strategies to create a walkable neighborhood which is a major issue in contemporary urban design considerations. The main reason for the current atmosphere is that desires for healthy life has brought about fundamental changes in the way we shape the cities because a growing body of evidence suggests that neighborhood design is related to physical activities such as walking and cycling for transport, which offer surpringsing benefits to our health, the environment and community. Therefore, in this review, case studies in recent years suggested to be a walkable neighborhood are revealed, in order to know their neighborhood design strateges for walkability. Especially, Pangyo and Dongtan areas, the 2nd phase new towns, are selected as representative cases in South Korea which may achieve a certain level of pedestrian-friendly environments. The analysis results are used to understand them in comparison, and it mainly discusses physical features in neighborhood unit such as how major facilities proposed to be relevant to neighborhood walkability are placed and how a street system is comprised of. All in all, this study shows additional evidence about which design methods would be more walkable and contributes to providing bases for the improvements of walkable neighborhood design strategies in the future development.
Walkable Neighborhood;Walkability;Pedestrian-Friendly;Neighborhood Unit;Design Strategy;Pangyo;Dongtan
- Abbott, C. (1993). Five Downtown Strategies: Policy Discourse since 1946. Journal of Policy History, 5(1)
- Ahn, K. (2010). Urban Landscape Planning Officer applies case analysis on Sustainable landscape of New Town, Thesis, Kyoungki University, 68-140.
- Bae. K. (2009). Physical Factors Affecting the Building Layout and Road-System in Multi-Family Housing Plan. Thesis, Seoul National University of Technology, 30-32.
- Cho, M. (2008). A Study on the Environmental Charactersistics of the Borderland of Apartment Housing Complex by Housing Renewal Project in Seoul, Thesis, University of Seoul, 74-81.
- Choi, Y. (2013). Residential Street Patterns and Neighborhood Walking Activities: A Case study with Seoul Housewives at Bukchon, Sanggye, Sungsan, and Haengdang, Thesis, Seoul National University, 189-192.
- Choi, Y., Kwon, Y., Kang, & D., Chung, S. (2001). A Study on the Urban Spatial Structure and Movement, Architectural Institute of Korea, 21(1)
- Chung, S.(2010). A Analysis of Pedestrian Space and Community Facilities Using Behavior Pattern in New Towns - Focusing on Bundang and Ilsan, Thesis, Chungang University, 129-133.
- Corburn, J. (2013). Healthy City Planning: From Neighborhood to National Health Equity, Routledge
- Frank, L., Engelke, P. (2003). Health and Community Design, Island Press.
- Gehl, J. (2008). Cities for People, Island Press, 239-241.
- Handy, S. (1996). Urban Form and Pedestrian Choices: Study of Austin Neighborhoods. Transportation Research Record, 15-52.
- Hong, J. (2010). A Study on the living street design method and residents' utilization : The case of the living street in Eunpyeong New Town, Thesis, Seoul National University, 64-66.
- Hwang, H. (2008). A Study on the Standards for Planning Neighborhood Unit in Korean New Towns, Korea Planning Assoication, 51-58.
- Kang, B. Kang, I. Park, K. Park, I. Park, C. Back, H. & Lee, K. (1999). A History of Multiple Housing Complex in Korea, Saejinsa
- Kim, B. (2006). A Change of Neighborhood Unit and the Resident's Recognition of Neighborhood in Korean New Town. Thesis, Chooang University, 97-98.
- Kim, D. (2007). Neighborhood Street Design for Vitalizing the New Town Apartment Housing Community Organism, Thesis, Seoul National University, 34-100.
- Kim, H. (2007). Evaluation on the Second Phase New Town Development in SMA, The Korean Regional Development Association, 251-255.
- Kim, Y. (2006). A Study on the Outdoor Living Space Planing by the Pattern of Apartment Parking Lot, Thesis, Inha University. 35-74.
- Kwon, H., Back, H., & Chung, H. (2008). A Study on the Transition of Spatial Organization of Neighborhood Applying for the Urban Residential Design in Korea, Urban Design Institute of Korea, 40-59.
- Lee, J. (2009). An Analysis of the Characteristics of Planning Community Units and the Transition of the Multi-Family Housing Theory in Korea, Thesis, Hanyang University, 76-97.
- Lee, M., & Dong, J. (2015). Planning on parking space in co-housing site -Focusing on housing sites in small city, The Korean Association for Local Government Studies, 40(1)
- Lee, S. (2010). Study on the Changes in Residents' Perception of Neighborhood Caused by the Residential Complex Development, Thesis, Chonnam National University, 153-155.
- LH, (2003). Dongtan Land Development Plan.
- LH, (2005). Pangyo Land Development Plan.
- LH, (2007). Pangyo District Unit Plan.
- LH, (2008). Dongtan New Town Urban Space Design.
- Min, B., & Yoon, T. (2002). An Analysis of Street Behavior on Different Types of Streets in Apartment Housing Sites, Architectural Institute of Korea, 18(1).
- Moudon, A. V., & Lee, C. (2003). Walking and Bicycling: A Evaluation of Environmental Audit Instruments, American Journal of Health Promotion, 30-31.
- Oh, B. (2008). Neighborhood Design Methods and its Effects on Use Patterns of Neighhorhood Facilities and Boundary Cognition of Neighborhood Units. Thesis, University of Seoul, 193.
- Park, E. (2012). A Study on the Assessment of Second Phase New Town Land Use and Traffic Plan in the Seoul Metropolitan Area, Thesis, University of Seoul, 33-54.
- Park, K., Kang, B., Kang, I., Park, I., Park, C., & Lee, K., (1997). The Interpretative Attitudes to the Street in Planning and Design of Housing Estates in Korea, AIK, 13(6), 151-161.
- Park, S. (2008). Measuring Walkability in Urban Residential Neighborhoods: Development of Walkability Indicators, Seoul, Korea, AIK, 166-168.
- Parolek, D., Parolek, K., & Crawford, P. C. (2007). Form-Baased Codes: A Guide for Planners, Urban Designers, Municipalities, and Developers, Wiley, 8-113.
- Patricios, Nicholas N. (2002). Urban Design Principles of the Original Neighbourhood Concepts, Urban Morphology, 21-32.
- Rohe, W. (2009). From Local to Global: One Hundred Years of Neighborhood Planning, 75(2), 209-230. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944360902751077
- Seo, H. (2013). Walking Path Distributions and Characteristics of Optional Pedestrian Activities in Neighborhood Street Envronment, Thesis, Seoul National University, 177-182.
- Sucher, D. (2003). City Comforts: How To Build an Urban Village, Island Press
- UN, The Millenium Development Goal Report, Retrieved July, 6, 2015 from http://www.un.org
- UDIK, (2012). Korea's Urban History: 1960-2010
- WHO, Type of Healthy Settings, from http://www.who.int
- Exploring Neighborhood Unit’s Planning Elements and Configuration Methods in Seoul and Singapore from a Walkability Perspective vol.10, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/su10040988
Supported by : 한국연구재단