- Volume 17 Issue 4
Recently, there is an increasing criticism both inside and outside China toward the eco-migration projects. The author focuses on the eco-migration of Sanjiangyuan National Nature Reserve as a case study as it is one of the main eco-migration projects. At the end of 2010, government invested 4.47 billion CNY in eco-migration and relocated the immigration 55773 people in 10733 units. Benefits of eco-migration is obvious, however, it needs to be recognized that in the aspect of environment justice, it is unfair to sacrifice a group of people in the process of environmental protection because costs and benefits result from the environmental protection have to share among the people without discrimination. Local herdsmen received extra disadvantages in their level of material possessions, social and cultural values and the social inclusion after eco-migration project. As a part of the eco-social system established within several centuries, the local herdsmen are not only threateners to local ecology system, but also the guardians to the natural environment through religion and habits last for generations. The social and cultural values, traditional religion and Nomadic living habits, as important as the environment, are need to be cherished and protected.
- Barnett,T.P., Jennifer, C. A., and Dennis P. L.(2005), Potential impacts of a warming climate on water availability in snowdominated regions, Nature, 438(7066) 303-309. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature04141
- Bao, Z.(2006), The definition, category and several problems of ecological migration, Journal of the Central University for Nationalities, 33, 24-31.
- Biersack,A.(1999), Introduction: from the "new ecology" to the new ecologies, American Anthropologist, 5-18.
- Bullard, R. D.(1994), Overcoming racism in environmental decision making. Environment: Science and Policy for Sustainable Development, 36(4), 10-44.
- Chen, J. (2008), Review of canceling herds and returning to grassland policy in Sanjiangyuan region in Qinghai province: based on survey of Maduo country. Nationalities Research in Qinghai, 19, 110-115.
- Cutter, S. L.(1995), Race, class and environmental justice, Progress in Human Geography, 19, 111-112. https://doi.org/10.1177/030913259501900111
- Fussell, E., Narayan S., and Mark, V.(2010), Race, socioeconomic status, and return migration to new Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Population and Environment 31(1-3), 20-42. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11111-009-0092-2
- Ga, D.(2013), Sanjiangyuan area ecological migration research. PhD. China: Shaanxi Normal University.
- Innes, J. E., and David, E. B.(2000),Public participation in planning: new strategies for the 21st century.
- Laurian, L.(2004),Public participation in environmental decision making: findings from communities facing toxic waste cleanup, Journal of the American Planning Association 70(1), 53-65. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944360408976338
- Lavelle, M.(1994),Environmental justice: in world resources institute, editor, the 1994 information please environmental almanac. MA: Houghton-Mifflin, 183-92.
- Li, X,(2012),The Yellow river source area ecological view and dispute: from the political ecology. PhD. Beijing, China: Minzu University of China.
- Liu, J.J., and Dong D. H.(2004), Sangjiangyuan bio-diversification projection and sustainable development, Central South Forest Inventory and Planning,23(4).
- Lu, M., and Sun, N, Q. C.(2003), Raising your veil: exploration of Sanjiangyuan environmental protection and construction. Chinese Weather Report, 4(004).
- Luo, G. H.(2009), social survey of Sanjiangyuan ecological emigration settlement and future industrial development, Journal of Qinghai Nationalities Institute,2
- Ma, H., and Li, G.(2008), The social issues in environmental protection and sustainable development, 27, 48-51.
- Ma, Y.(2011), Preliminary results were achieved of Sanjiangyuan ecological environment, Economic Daily,07.
- McDermott, C. J.(1993), Balancing the scales of environmental justice, Fordham Urb. LJ, 21(689).
- Nick,A.(2006), Collapse and reorganization in social-ecological systems: questions, some ideas, and policy implications, Ecology and Society II, 17.
- Michael, M. C.(1996), Public policy responses to development-induced population displacements, Economic and Political Weekly, 31,pp1515-1523.
- Portney,K.E.(1993), Environmental justice and sustainability: is there a critical nexus in the case of waste disposal or treatment facility siting. Fordham Urb. LJ, 21(827).
- Raper,S.C., and Roger, J. B. (2006), Low sea level rise projections from mountain glaciers and icecaps under global warming.Nature, 439(7074), 311-313. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature04448
- Reynolds, J.P.(1969), Public participation in planning, Town Planning Review 40(2),131. https://doi.org/10.3828/tpr.40.2.dr215u538245277g
- Sang,R.(2001), The survey and thinking about Sanjianyuan ecological migrants' acculturation. New Height, 6, 15-20.
- Strife, S., and Liam D.(2009), Childhood development and access to nature a new direction for environmental inequality research, Organization & environment, 22(1),99-122. https://doi.org/10.1177/1086026609333340
- Tarlock,A., and Dan. (1992), Environmental protection: the potential misfit between equity and efficiency, University of Colorado Law Review 63, 871.
- Wei, R.(2013), The research of the approaches of Tibetan ecomigration social integration: the case study of Sanjiangyuan Area. China Tibetology, 1, 120-125.
- Zhang, X.(2010), Rebuild Sanjiangyuan ecological preservation model, Study Times, 4, 1-3.
- Zhai, S.(2005), High-cost analysis of river ecological migrants, Ecological Environment, 7, 302-304.
- Zhou,B.(2008), Ecological migration policy research. MPA. Hohhot: Inner Mongolia University.
- Zhou, J.(2009), Policy and effectiveness of ecological immigration: taking ecological immigration of Luntai country in Tarim River basin as an example. Journal of Economics of Water Resources, 27, 68-78.
- Zhou P.(2013), Eco-migration Sustainable Development in Chinese Western Area, PhD. Beijing, China: Minzu University of China. 2013.