- Volume 20 Issue 12
This paper suggests heuristic algorithm with polynomial time complexity for rigging elections problem that can be obtain the optimal solution using linear programming. The proposed algorithm transforms the given problem into adjacency graph. Then, we divide vertices V into two set W and D. The set W contains majority distinct and the set D contains minority area. This algorithm applies divide-and-conquer method that the minority area D is include into majority distinct W. While this algorithm using simple rule, that can be obtains the optimal solution equal to linear programing for experimental data. This paper shows polynomial time solution finding rule potential in rigging elections problem.
Majority;Minority;Adjacency graph;Divide-and-conquer;Rigging elections
- J. Bartholdi, C. Tovey, and M. Trick, "Voting Schemes for Which it can be Difficult to Tell Who Won the Election," Social Choice and Welfare, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 157-166, Apr. 1989. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00303169
- C. Gueret, X. Prins, and M. Sevaux, "Applications of Optimization with Xpress-MP: 15.3 Rigging Elections," Dash Optimization Ltd., pp. 234-227, Feb. 2005.
- J. E. Beasley, "An Algorithm for Set Covering Problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 85-93, Jul. 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(87)90141-X
- M. L. Fisher and P. Kedia, "Optimal Solutions of Set Covering/Partitioning Problems Using Dual Heuristics," Management Science, Vol. 36, No. 6, pp. 674-688, Jun. 1990. https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.36.6.674
- J. E. Beasley and K. Jornsten, "Enhancing an Algorithm for Set Covering Problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 293-300, Apr. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(92)90215-U
- J. E. Beasley and P. C. Chu, "A Genetic Algorithm for the Set Covering Problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 94, No. 2, pp. 392-404, Oct. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-2217(95)00159-X
- U. Aickelin, "An Indirect Genetic Algorithm for Set Covering Problems," Journal of the Operational Research Society, Vol. 53, No. 10, pp. 1118-1126, Oct. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jors.2601317
- G. Lan, G. W. DePuy, and G. E. Whitehouse, "An effective and simple heuristic for the set covering problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 176, No. 3, pp. 1387-1403, Feb. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2005.09.028
- R. E. Miller and J. W. Thatcher, Complexity of Computer Computations: Reducibility Among Combinatorial Problems," Plenum, pp. 85-103, 1972.
- Wikipedia, "United States presidential election," http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election, Wikipedia Foundation, Ltd., May. 2014.
- T. H. Cormen, C. E. Leiserson, and R. L. Rivest, "Introduction to Algorithms," MIT Press, 2000.
- A. V. Levitin, "Introduction to the Design and Analysis of Algorithms," Addison Wesley, 2002.