- Volume 20 Issue 4
Purpose: We analyse characteristics of optical shop customer's segmented market by using clustering analysis, and we expect it would be a useful indicator of marketing strategy for optical shops. Methods: Survey was conducted from March 10 to March 31, 2015. The survey asked customers who have visited optical shops in Seoul and Northern Gyeonggi-do regions, and analyzed by utilizing SPSS v.10.0 statistical package program. The analysing methods are frequency analysis, factor analysis about variable of values, clustering analysis for market segmentation, and crosstabs. Results: The market is segmented based on values. In the process of establishing marketing strategy, it is useful to establish strategy by classifying customers into 3 types of cluster; "middle level value oriented cluster", "high level value oriented cluster", "high level value oriented and non-religious cluster". In marketing strategy of progressive lenses, it turned out that the most important strategy is to target self-employed person in "middle level value oriented cluster". Conclusions: As a result of market segmentation by using clustering analysis, it was classified into 3 types of cluster, and we found that most important customer for progressive lenses is self-employed person in "middle level value oriented cluster" who is more than 41 years old.
Values;Clustering analysis;Market segmentation;Optical shop
- You MJ, Sim SH. A study on the business performance according to management characteristics at an optical store. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2013;18(4):385-397. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2013.18.4.385
- You MJ, Sim SH. A study on the business performance according to Employees(Optician)' characteristics. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(4):335-343.
- Kim DN, Kim HJ. The solution for revitalization of domestic eyeglasses industry. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2007; 12(1):35-40.
- Park HJ. The activation of Korean optical industry. Master Thesis. Kyungpook University, Daegu. 2004;25-29.
- Ministry of health and welfare. Ministry of health and welfare statistical year book 2014-III Health care personnel and facilities.2014. http://stat.mw.go.kr/front/statData/mohwAnnalsWpView.jsp?menuId=14&nttSeq=21531&bbsSeq=1&nttClsCd = 01,(28 October 2015).
- Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs. Report about long-term estimate result of worker for health supply, 2015. https://www.kihasa.re.kr/html/jsp/kihasa/news/report/view.jsp?bid=79&ano=8611,(28 October 2015).
- Han SH, Kim BH, Han MH, Kim CM, Lee SH, Jin KH et al. A study on the effective display method of optician's shop. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(1):11-18.
- Han SY, Kim TH, Sung AY, Kim DH. Analysis of causal factors in the relationship marketing for optical stores. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2005;10(3):215-220.
- Kim DN, Kim KH. A study on the business management of optician's stores. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2004; 9(1):43-51.
- Kim JS, Song YS, Kang HY. A study on the strategic relationship of spectacles store. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 1999;4(2):155-163.
- Cha JW, Lee JK. Influences on store selection and recommendation intention according to lifestyles -Centered on optical shops-. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2015;20(2):83-92. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2015.20.2.83
- Kim JK, Park JW. The strategy of CRM & promotion mix for opticians. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2002;7(1): 79-83.
- Kim IK, Lee JH, Park SH, Ryu GC, Lee SJ. Comparison of purchasing decision factors for eyeglasses buyer according to demographic characteristics. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2012;17(2):107-117.
- Park JH, Lee EH, Koo EH, Kim HA, Song DH, Hyun JH et al. A plan to improve consumer satisfaction and reliability of opticians by analyzing consumers' spectacles purchasing behavior. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2010;15(1):1-7.
- Lee JY, Oh HJ. A comparative study on purchasing propensity between eyeglass consumer of the twenties and optometric students in daegu city. Korean J Vis Sci. 2010; 12(4):255-264.
- Kim YC. Customer value and market segmentation: New approaches in developing marketing strategy analysis. Korean management review. 2004;33(6):1757-1779.
- Oh SH, Yang PS, Kim JH. A study of the golf tourist market segmentation based on benefit sought in Jeju. Journal of tourism sciences. 2008;32(3):319-338.
- Han EJ, Baik UI, Park JY. Analysis of market segmentation of hot spring resort & determinants of its demand -With a focus on suanbo hot spring. Korea Academic Soc Tourism Management. 2011;26(4):681-703.
- Hong SO. The relationship between mass customization of glasses products and consumer characteristics. Master's Thesis. Seoul National University of Science and Technology, Seoul. 2009;58-65.
- Kim MH, Park SB, Kim JS, Lee CH, Lee SD. Study of market segmentation in dispensing optical shop. Korean J Vis Sci. 2004;6(1):113-121.
- Seo SO, Kang SI, Kim YZ. A study on consumers' purchasing motives, source, and shop choice attributes of beauty service according to their values. Jounal of The Korean Society of cosmetology. 2012;18(1):60-69.
- Lee JK, Cha JW. A Study of the impact of sense of values on select stores and satisfaction -Centered on eyeglasses stores-. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014;19(4):419-427. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.4.419
- Kim SH, Lee JG. The influences of the client's sense of value upon the choice of travel agent. Journal of Tourism Sciences. 1998;22(2):227-234.
- Pitts RE, Woodside AG. Personal values and travel decisions. Journal of Travel Research. 1986;25(1):20-25. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728758602500104
- Hawes DK. Travel-related lifestyle profiles of older women. Journal of Travel Research. 1988;27(2):22-32.
- Park SY, Shin JC, Oh DH. A study on the impact of consumption value on housing type choice behavior. Journal of Korea Planners Association. 2005;40(1):75-91.
- Choi EJ. Effect of the viewpoint of diners-out on the characteristics of restaurants selection. Master's Thesis. Kyonggi University, Suwon. 2007;66-67.
- Oh HC, Seo YH. A benefit-based segmentation study of hotel pub restaurant customers. Industry Research. 2003; 2:91-110.
- Shin WS. Hotel & tourism marketing. 2nd Ed. Seoul: Kimoonsa, 2014;174-182.
- Park SB, Won CH, Lee SW, Kim MH. Establishing eyeglasses store and management practical business affairs, 1st Ed. Seoul: Daihak bookstore, 2003;127.
- Kim SY, Kwak YS, Nam YS. Exploring navigation pattern and site evaluation variation in a community website by mixture model at segment level. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science. 2004;13:209-229. https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2004.9707218
- Madrigal R, Kahle LR. Predicting vacation activity preferences on the basis of value-system segmentation. Journal of Travel Research. 1994;32(3):22-28. https://doi.org/10.1177/004728759403200304
- Vinson DE, Munson JM, Nakanishi M. An investigation of the Rokeach value survey for consumer research applications. Advances in Consumer Research. 1977;4:247-252.
- Kim EH, Kim HD. An effect of consumers' types of buying behavior values and types of price discount on product attitude. Journal of Digital Convergence. 2014;12(10):135-144.
- Cho SH. The study of tourist stress on overseas traveling. Journal of Korean Academy of Marketing Science. 2006; 16(1):27-43.
- Lee HS, Lim JH. SPSS 20.0 manual, 1st Ed. Seoul: Jyphyunjee Publishing Co, 2013;386-389.
- Lee HS, Lim JH. SPSS 20.0 manual, 1st Ed. Seoul: Jyphyunjee Publishing Co, 2013;393.
- Lee HS, Lim JH. SPSS 20.0 manual, 1st Ed. Seoul: Jyphyunjee Publishing Co, 2013;376.
- Lee HS, Lim JH. SPSS 20.0 manual, 1st Ed. Seoul: Jyphyunjee Publishing Co, 2013;450-451.
- Lee HS, Lim JH. SPSS 20.0 manual, 1st Ed. Seoul: Jyphyunjee Publishing Co, 2013;448-449.
- Lee HS, Lim JH. SPSS 20.0 manual, 1st Ed. Seoul: Jyphyunjee Publishing Co, 2013;464-471.
- An Analysis on the Characteristics of Market Segments according to Attributes of Tourists’ Selection of Sunglasses vol.22, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2017.22.4.351