- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Brand Name Type of Optical Shop - Centric on Optical Shop in Daegu Region -
안경원의 브랜드 네임 유형에 관한 연구 - 대구지역 안경원 브랜드를 중심으로 -
- Received : 2015.11.03
- Accepted : 2015.12.08
- Published : 2015.12.31
Purpose: We conducted a study on the brand name types of optical shop in the region of Daegu to exploit the data necessary for a new brand naming. Methods: The characteristics of the names including the concept and function, phrasing compositions - whether the names are Korean words, English words or combination of the two, or others, and whether the names are descriptive, allusive or coined, alternative names, and most frequently used names were studied and analyzed. Results: For those in Korean words, the most frequently appeared consonant was 'ㅇ' then 'ㅅ'. In combination words, either in Korean and English combination or others, 57.1% of the names were in Korean, or 32.7% of the names were in English. As for number of syllables, 3 syllables consumed 30.4% and 2 and 4 syllables were in similar proportions of 29.7% and 25.0%, respectively. The proportions of allusive and descriptive names were 17.0% and 13.3%, respectively. As for alternative creation type, the type with combination of words came first, and then use of symbols came second. For other types, there were high number of brand names that contained the names of other business types and names of the districts in which the stores were located. Lastly, the most frequently used keyword was 'eye', which was used 45 times, and then came 'dang' and 'angyeong'. Conclusions: When starting a business and making an appropriate brand name, it must be easy to say and remember as well as meaningful. As such, a brand name for an optical shop should not only be creative, but also be associated with the business and emanate favorable impression.
Optical shop brand;Optical shop brand names;Brand name type;Brand naming
- Son IK. Brand Identity, 1st Ed. Seoul: Management Mind, 2003;15.
- Hong SI. Son JS. A Study on the Design Identity of Optical Shop Brands. J Korean Ophthalmic Opt Soc. 2014; 19(4);435-443. https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2014.19.4.435
- The Korea Optical news. 2014-2015 Korea Optical Yellowpage, Seoul: Storybooks, 2013;107-113.
- Jong GI. An essay on the cognitive linguistical aspect of brand names. The Society of Korean Language and Literature. 2008;57;145-147.
- Aaker DA. Managing Brand Equity, 1st Ed. Seoul: Businessbooks, 2006;48-338.
- Steve Rivkin, Fraser Sutherland. The Making of A Name, 1st Ed. Seoul: Kim & Kim Books, 2006;57.
- Study on Brand Naming of Optical Shop through Creation of Alternative vol.21, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14479/jkoos.2016.21.3.181
Supported by : 경운대학교