- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on the Development of Wet Cell Holder for the Measurement of Hydrophilic Contact Lens
친수성 콘택트렌즈 측정용 Wet Cell 홀더 개발에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.08.13
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2015.12.31
Purpose: To develop more accurate wet measuring system combining the wet cell, automatic lensmeter and the related software for hydrophilic contact lenses and to verify the accuracy of those measuring holder system already available in the market. Methods: Refractive power measurement were done in both a conventional method which has been commonly used in optical shops and a new method which is recently developed in korea. Hydrophilic contact lens of korean brand was chosen as a test material and was tested by water content ratio and by spherical refractive power. Results: When spherical power of -3.00 D contact lens is measured in the newly developed wet cell measurement holder with automatic lensmeter, it reads -3.01 D at water content ratio of 38%. -3.00 D at 45% and -2.98 D at 58%. The same experiment with the Poster soft contact lens wet cell measurement holder maintaining other conditions same resulted in -3.60 D at the water content ratio of 38%, -3.06 D at 45% and -2.46 D at 58%. Conclusions: At the higher water content, the refractive power values measured by both of the wet cell measuring holders are shown lower, and additionally, the new method using the wet cell holder and new software program in a automatic lensmeter showed more accurate readings than conventional Poster soft contact lens wet cell measuring system.
Automatic lensmeter;Wet cell;Water content ratio
- Kang HS. An introduction to Visual Optics, 2nd Ed. Seoul: Shinkwang, 2009:80:11-24.
- ISO. ISO 8598: Optics and Ophthalmic instruments - Focimeters. 2004.
- Tranoudis I, Efron N. Parameter stability of soft contact lenses made from different materials. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2004;27(3):115-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clae.2004.03.001
- Poster GM. Hydrophilic lens holder. U.S. Patent 3779648. 1973.
- Pearson RM. Aspect of wet cell measurement of back vertex power of contact lense. Clin Exp Optom. 2008; 91(5):461-468. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1444-0938.2008.00269.x
- Long WD, Bauman RE, Dandridge R, Hagmann P. Measured versus labeled parameters of daily disposable contact lenses. Int Contact lens Clin. 1997;24(6):188-197. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-8967(97)00081-3
- Wei X, Heugten TV, Thibos L. Validation of a Hartmann-Moir wavefront sensor with large dynamic range. Optics Express. 2009;17(16):14180-14185. https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.17.014180
- ISO. ISO 18369-3: Ophthalmic optics - contact lenses -part 3: Measurement methods. 4.2 Back vertex power. 2006.
- Pearson RM, Evans BJ. A Comparison of in air and insaline focimeter measurement of the back vertex power of spherical soft contact lenses. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt. 2012;32(6):508-517. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-1313.2012.00932.x
- Wang LR, Zhang JY, Ya Z. Calibration error on the measurement of back vertex power for contact lenses with method using focimeter with manual focusing. Optom Vis Sci. 2002;79(2): 126-133.
- Kollbaum P, Jansen M, Thibos L, Bradley A. Validation of an off-eye contact lens Shack-Hartmann wavefront aberrometer. Optom Vis Sci. 2008;85(9):E817-E828. https://doi.org/10.1097/OPX.0b013e318185280e
- Jeong TM, Menon M, Yoon G. Measurement of wavefront aberration in soft contact lenses by use of a Shack-Hartmann wavefront sensor. Appl Opt. 2005;44(21):4523-4527. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.44.004523
- Kim TH, Lee MJ, Sung AY. Refractive power measurement of soft contact lens using developed contact lens holder. Korean J Vis Sci. 2013;15(3):293-303.
- Holdem BA, Cooper GN, Vaegan, Alexander JA. The accuracy and variability of measurement of the BCOR of hydrated soft lenses using a zeiss keratometer and holden wet cell. Aust J Optom. 1977;60(2):46-51.
- Bland JM, Atman DG. Statistical methods for assessing agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. Lancet. 1986;1(8476):307-310.
Supported by : 세한대학교