- Volume 15 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Development of Safety Training Delivery Method Using 3D Simulation Technology for Construction Worker
건설현장 작업자를 위한 3차원 시뮬레이션 바탕의 안전 교육전달 매체 개발
Ahn, Sungjin;Park, Young Jun;Park, Tae-Hwan;Kim, Tae-Hui
- Received : 2015.04.29
- Accepted : 2015.10.01
- Published : 2015.12.20
Construction worker safety and safety training continue to be main issues in the construction industry. In order to promote safety awareness among workers, it is imperative to develop a more effective and efficient safety training. This study compared two methods in construction worker safety training: 1) a conventional lecture and 2) 3D simulation through Building Information Modeling. Both training methods included the same contents, a selection of safety standard and guide suggested by Occupational Safety and Health Agency and the Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency; the contents were then produced into two types of training methods. A survey was conducted targeting on safety managers, in which the managers evaluated lifelikeness, active learning and enjoyment that each of training methods can promote. The results of the survey showed that innovative method using 3D simulation was more effective than conventional lecture method in terms of its lifelikeness, active learning and enjoyment. This study will provide implications that innovative method using the virtual reality is more effective than conventional lecture method.
3dimension simulation;construction worker safety;safety training contents;safety training delivery method
- Jung YM. A Study on the Safety Education for Accident Prevention for the Construction Site [master's thesis]. [Seoul (Korea)]: Inha university; 2005. 87 p.
- Kim MJ. Improvement plan of construction safety education for accident prevention in construction site [master's thesis]. [Seoul (Korea)]: Dongguk University; 2003. 82 p.
- Kim EJ, Kim KR, Shin DW. A Model for Safety Education Fit for Individual Personality of Construction Worker. Korea Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2008 Oct;9(5):116-26.
- Tam CM, Zeng SX, Deng ZM. Identifying elements of poor construction safety management in China. Safety Science. 2004 Aug;42(7):569-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2003.09.001
- Aksorn T, Hadikusumo B. Critical success factors influencing safety program performance in Thai construction projects. Safety Science. 2008 Apr;46(4): 709-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2007.06.006
- Choudhry RM, Fang D. Why operatives engage in unsafe work behavior: Investigating factors on construction sites. Safety Science. 2008 Apr;46(4):566-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2007.06.027
- Toole T. Construction Site Safety Roles. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2002 May; 128(3):203-10. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2002)128:3(203)
- Dale E. Audio-visual methods in teaching. 3rd ed. New York: Holt Rinehart & Winston; 1969. 108 p.
- Burke MJ, Sarpy SA, Smith-Crowe K, Chan-Serafin S, Salvador RO, Islam G. The relative effectiveness of worker safety and health training methods. American Journal of Public Health. 2006 Feb;96(2):315-24. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.059840
- Kang J, Anderson S, Clayton M. Empirical Study on the Merit of Web-Based 4D Visualization in Collaborative Construction Planning and Scheduling. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2007 Jun;133(6):447-61. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2007)133:6(447)
- Li H, Chan G, Skitmore M. Visualizing safety assessment by integrating the use of game technology, Automation in Construction. 2012 Mar;22:498-505. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2011.11.009
- Clevenger C, Ozbek M, Glick S, Porter D. Integrating BIM into construction management education. EcoBuild Conference Proceedings, EcoBuild 2010 BIM Academic Forum; 2010; Washington, DC.
- Sacks R, Perlman A, Barak R. Construction safety training using immersive virtual reality. Construction Management Economics. 2013 Sep;31(9):1005-17. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446193.2013.828844
- Dickinson JK, Woodard P, Canas R, Ahamed S, Lockston D. Game-based trench safety education: development and lessons learned. Journal of Information Technology in Construction. 2011 Jan;16(Special Issue) :118-32.
- Li H, Chan G, Skitmore M. Multiuser Virtual Safety Training System for Tower Crane Dismantlement. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering. 2012 Sep;26(5):638-47. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000170
- Lin KY, Son JW, Rojas EM. A pilot study of a 3D game environment for construction safety education. Journal of Information Technology in Construction. 2011 Jan;16(Special Issue):69-83.
- Sherif A, Mekkawi H. Developing a computer aided learning tool for teaching construction engineering decision making. The joint international conference on computing and decision making in civil and building engineering; 2006 Jun 14-16; p.3986-95.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea