- Volume 15 Issue 6
With its recent tourism boom, Vanuatu, a small country in the South Pacific, is experiencing an increasing demand for construction. However, it has been struggling with persistent schedule delays in their construction projects due to a variety of reasons. In an attempt to respond to this situation, this paper aims to identify the major causes of schedule delays in building construction in Pacific island countries, with a focus on Vanuatu. To collect data on the factors affecting schedule delays, face-to-face interviews were conducted. Based on these, seven major causes of schedule delays, as selected by the majority of the participants, were identified and discussed to provide perceptive insights for future improvement opportunities. This paper attempts to help contractors with limited resources better understand the major causes of schedule delay in Vanuatu and achieve better performance in building projects.
schedule delays;small building projects;schedule performance;republic of vanuatu
- Ahmed SM, Azhar S, Kappagantula P, Gollapudi D. Delays in Construction: A Brief Study of the Florida Construction Industry. ASC Proceedings of the 39th Annual Conference; 2003 Apr 10-12; Clemson, SC, Hattiesburg (MS): Associated Schools of Construction; 2003. p. 257-66.
- Alaghbari W, Kadir MRA, Salim A, Emawati G. The significant factors causing delay of building construction projects in Malaysia. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management. 2007 Apr;14(2):192-206. https://doi.org/10.1108/09699980710731308
- Al-Khalil MI, Al-Ghafly MA. Important causes of delay in public utility projects in Saudi Arabia. Construction Management & Economics. 1999;17(5): 647-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/014461999371259
- Le-Hoai L. Lee YD, Lee JY. Delay and cost overruns in Vietnam large construction projects: A comparison with other selected countries. KSCE journal of civil engineering. 2008 Nov;12(6):367-77. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-008-0367-7
- Sambasivan M, Soon YW. Causes and effects of delays in Malaysian construction industry. International Journal of Project Management. 2007 Jul;25(5):517-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2006.11.007
- Xiao H, Proverbs D. Construction time performance: an evaluation of contractors from Japan, the UK and the US. Engineering Construction and Architectural Management. 2002 Apr;9(2):81-9. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb021208
- Assaf SA, Al-Hejji S. Causes of delay in large construction projects. International Journal of Project Management. 2006 May;24(4):349-57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2005.11.010
- Couto JP, Teixeira JC. The evaluation of the delays in the Portuguese construction. Proceedings of 2007 CIB World Building Congress; 2007 May 14-18; Cape Town, South Africa, Delft (Netherlands): International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction; 2007. p. 292-301.
- Han SH, Yun S, Kim H, Kwak YH, Park HK, Lee SH. Analyzing Schedule Delay of Mega Project: Lessons Learned From Korea Train Express. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management. 2009 May;56(2):243-56. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEM.2009.2016042
- Ogunlana SO, Promkuntong K, Jearkjirm V. Construction delays in a fast-growing economy: comparing Thailand with other economies. International Journal of Project Management. 1996 Feb;14(1):37-45. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-7863(95)00052-6
- Mansfield NR, Ugwu OO, Doran T. Causes of delay and cost overruns in Nigerian construction projects. International Journal of Project Management. 1994 Nov;12(4):254-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-7863(94)90050-7
- Apolot R, Alinaitwe H, Tindiwensi D. An Investigation into the Causes of Delay and Cost Overrun in Uganda's Public Sector Construction Projects. Journal of Construction in Developing Countries. 2013 Dec;18(2):33-47.
- Kaliba C, Muya M, Mumba K. Cost escalation and schedule delays in road construction projects in Zambia. International Journal of Project Management. 2009 Jul;27(5):522-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2008.07.003
- Frimpong Y, Oluwoye J, Crawford L. Causes of delay and cost overruns in construction of groundwater projects in a developing countries; Ghana as a case study. International Journal of Project Management. 2003 Jul;21(5):321-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(02)00055-8
- Fugar FDK, Agyakwah-Baah AB. Delays in building construction projects in Ghana. Australasian Journal of Construction Economics and Building. 2010;10(1/2):103-16. https://doi.org/10.5130/ajceb.v10i1/2.1592
- Faridi AS, El-Sayegh SM. Significant factors causing delay in the UAE construction industry. Construction Management and Economics. 2006;24(11):1167-76. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446190600827033
- Tumi SA, Omran A, Pakir AH. Causes of Delay in Construction Industry in Libya. Proceedings of 2009 International Conference on Economics and Administration; 2009 Nov 14-15; Bucharest, Romania, Bucharest (Romania): International Conference on Economics and Administration; 2009. p. 265-72.
- Koushki PA, Al-Rashid K, Kartam N. Delays and cost increases in the construction of private residential projects in Kuwait. Construction Management and Economics. 2005 Mar;23(3):285-94. https://doi.org/10.1080/0144619042000326710
- El-Razek MEA, Bassioni HA, Mobarak AM. Causes of delay in building construction projects in Egypt. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. 2008 Nov;134(11):831-41. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9364(2008)134:11(831)
- Long ND, Ogunlana S, Quang T, Lam KC. Large construction projects in developing countries: a case study from Vietnam. International Journal of Project Management. 2004 Oct;22(7):553-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2004.03.004
- Kanal-khaming PF, Olomolaiye PO, Holt GD, Harris FC. Factors influencing construction time and cost overruns on high-rise projects in Indonesia. Construction Management & Economics. 1997;15(1):83-94. https://doi.org/10.1080/014461997373132
- McKenzie E, Prasad BC, Kaloumaira A. Economic impact of natural disasters on development in the Pacific. Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID), Fiji Islands; 2005. 194 p.
- Al-Kharashi A, Skitmore M. Causes of delays in Saudi Arabian public sector construction projects. Construction Management and Economics 2009;27(1):3-23. https://doi.org/10.1080/01446190802541457
- Ahsan K, Gunawan I. Analysis of cost and schedule performance of international development projects. International Journal of Project Management. 2010 Jan;28(1):68-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2009.03.005
- Chan DWM, Kumaraswamy MM. A comparative study of causes of time overruns in Hong Kong construction projects. International Journal of Project Management. 1997 Feb;15(1):55-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(96)00039-7
- Greenwood DJ, Osborne AN, Aggiag MA. A Comparative Analysis of Administrative Delays in Hospital Buildings. Proceedings of the 17th Annual ARCOM Conference; 2001 Sep 5-7; Manchester, United Kingdom, Manchester (UK): Association of Researchers in Construction Management; 2001. p. 795-802.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : Dong-Eui University