- Volume 3 Issue 3
Iron nanoparticles were made by using the modified coprecipitation technique. Usually the characteristics of synthesised particles depend upon the process parameters such as the ratio of the iron ions, the pH of the solution, the molar concentration of base used, type of reactants and temperature. A modified coprecipitation method was adopted in this study. A magnetic stirrer was used for mixing and the morphology and nature of particles were observed after synthesis. Nanoparticles were characterised through XRD. Obtained nanoparticles showed the formation of magnetite and maghemite under citric acid and oxalic acid as stabilisers respectively. The size of nanoparticle was greatly affected by the use of different types of stabilisers. Results show that citric acid greatly reduced the obtained particle size. Particle size as small as 13 nm was obtained in this study. The effects of different kinds of nucleating agents were also observed and two different types of nucleating agents were used i.e. potassium hydroxide (KOH) and copper chloride (
nanoparticles;iron oxide;maghemite;magnetite;X-ray diffraction;nucleating agents;stabilisers
- Besra, L. and Liu, M. (2007), "A review on fundamentals and applications of electrophoretic deposition (EPD)", Prog. Mater. Sci., 52, 1-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2006.07.001
- Businova, P., Chomoucka, J., Prasek, J., Hrdy, R., Drbohlavova, J., Sedlacek, P. and Hubalek, J. (2011), "Polymer-coated iron oxide magnetic nanoparticles-preparation and characterization", Proceedings of the Conference Nanocon, Brno, September.
- Drbohlavova, J., Hrdy, R., Adam, V., Kizek, R., Schneeweiss, O. and Hubalek, J. (2009), "Preparation and properties of various magnetic nanoparticles", J. Sens., 9, 2352-2362. https://doi.org/10.3390/s90402352
- Guo, L., Huang, Q., Li, X.Y. and Yang, S. (2001), "Iron nanoparticles: synthesis and applications in surface enhanced Raman scattering and electrocatalysis", J. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 3, 1661-1665. https://doi.org/10.1039/b009951l
- Gupta, A.K. and Gupta, M. (2005), "Synthesis and surface engineering of iron oxide nanoparticles for biomedical applications", J. Biomater., 26, 3995-4021. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2004.10.012
- Hafeli, U., Schutt, W., Teller, J. and Zborowski, M. (1997), Scientific and Clinical Applications of Magnetic Carriers, Plenum Press, New York.
- Han, Y.S., Yoon, S.M. and Kim, D.K. (2000), "Synthesis of monodispersed and spherical SiO- 2-coated Fe- 2O- 3 nanoparticle", Bull-Korean Chem. Soc., 21(12), 1193-1198.
- Hoa, L.T.M., Dung, T.T., Danh, T.M., Duc, N.H. and Chien, D.M. (2009), "Preparation and characterization of magnetic nanoparticles coated with polyethylene glycol", J. Phys. Conf. Ser., 187, 012048. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/187/1/012048
- Kim, D., Zhang, Y., Voit, W., Rao, K. and Muhammed, M. (2001), "Synthesis and characterization of surfactant-coated superparamagnetic monodispersed iron oxide nanoparticles", J. Magnet. Mag. Mater., 225, 30-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-8853(00)01224-5
- Massart, R. (1981), "Preparation of aqueous magnetic liquids in alkaline and acidic media", IEEE Tran. Magnet., 17, 1247-1248. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.1981.1061188
- Laurent, S., Forge, D., Port, M., Roch, A., Robic, C., Vander Elst, L. and Muller, R.N. (2008), "Magnetic Iron Oxide Nanoparticles: Synthesis, Stabilization, Vectorization, Physicochemical Characterizations, and Biological Applications", Chem. Rev., 108, 2064-2110. https://doi.org/10.1021/cr068445e
- Lu, A.H., Salabas, E.E. and Schuth, F. (2007), "Magnetic nanoparticles: synthesis, protection, functionalization, and application", Angewandte Chem. Int. Edition, 46, 1222-1244. https://doi.org/10.1002/anie.200602866
- Mehta, M., Mukhopadhyay, M., Christian, R. and Mistry, N. (2012), "Synthesis and characterization of MgO nanocrystals using strong and weak bases", J. Powder Tech., 226, 213-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.powtec.2012.04.044
- Rahman, M.M., Aisiri, A.M., Jamal, A., Faisal, M. and Khan, S.B. (2011), Iron Oxide Nanoparticles, INTECH Open Access Publisher.
- Ramimoghadam, D., Bagheri, S. and Hamid, S.B.A. (2014), "Progress in electrochemical synthesis of magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles", J. Magnet. Mag. Mater., 368, 207-229. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2014.05.015
- Scherer, C. and Figueiredo Neto, A.M. (2005), "Ferrofluids: properties and applications", Brazil. J. Phys., 35, 718-727. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-97332005000400018
- Song, Y., Wang, R., Rong, R., Ding, J., Liu, J., Li, R., Liu, Z., Li, H., Wang, X., Zhang, J. and Fang, J. (2011), "Synthesis of well-dispersed aqueous-phase magnetite nanoparticles and their metabolism as an MRI contrast agent for the reticuloendothelial system", Euro. J. Inorg. Chem., 2011(22), 3303-3313. https://doi.org/10.1002/ejic.201100017
Wei, Y., Han, B., Hu, X., Lin, Y., Wang, X. and Deng, X. (2012), "Synthesis of
$Fe_3O_4$nanoparticles and their magnetic properties", Procedia Eng., 27, 632-637. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2011.12.498
- Wu, W., He, Q. and Jiang, C. (2008), "Magnetic iron oxide nanoparticles: synthesis and surface functionalization strategies", Nanosc. Res. Lett., 3, 397-415. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11671-008-9174-9
- 1. Low temperature fabrication of Al2O3 nanostrips and their enhanced dielectric property vol.5, pp.1, 2018, doi:10.12989/anr.2015.3.3.169
연구 과제 주관 기관 : NED University of Engineering and Technology