- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Buckling of monopod bucket foundations-influence of boundary conditions and soil-structure interaction
- Received : 2015.10.05
- Accepted : 2015.12.04
- Published : 2015.12.25
Using large monopod bucket foundations as an alternative to monopiles for offshore wind turbines offers the potential for large cost savings compared to typical piled foundations. In this paper, numerical simulations are carried out to assess the risk of structural buckling during installation of large-diameter bucket foundations. Since shell structures are generally sensitive to initially imperfect geometries, eigenmode-affine imperfections are introduced in a nonlinear finite-element analysis. The influence of modelling the real lid structure compared to classic boundary conditions is investigated. The effects of including soil restraint and soil-structure interaction on the buckling analysis are also addressed.
- Andersen, K.H., Jostad, H.P. and Dyvik, R. (2008), "Penetration resistance of offshore skirted foundations and anchors in dense sand", J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 134(1), 106-116. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2008)134:1(106)
- Andersen, L. (2010), "Assessment of lumped-parameter models for rigid footings", Comput. Struct., 88(23-24), 1333-1347. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruc.2008.10.007
- Arbocz, J. (1982), The imperfection data bank, a mean to obtain realistic buckling loads, in Buckling of Shells, Stuttgart, May.
- Brush, D. and Almroth, B. (1975), Buckling of Bars, Plates and Shells, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Bushnell, D. (1981), "Buckling of shells - pitfall for designers", AIAA J., 19(9), 1183-226. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.60058
- DNV-RP-C202 (2013), Recommended practice: Buckling strength of shells, Det Norske Veritas.
- EN 1993-1-6 (2007), Eurocode 3 - Design of steel structures - Part 1-6: Strength and Stability of Shell Structures.
- Farshad, M. (1992), Design and Analysis of Shell Structures, Kluwer Academic Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Guggenberger, W. (1995), "Buckling and post-buckling of imperfect cylindrical shells under external pressure", Thin Wall. Struct., 23(1-4), 351-366. https://doi.org/10.1016/0263-8231(95)00022-6
- Hanssen, S.B, Giese, S., Bye, A, Athanasiu, C. and Tistel, J. (2013), "Modeling of lateral soil restraint for buckling analysis of suction caissons in clay", Proceedings of the 23rd Int Offshore and Polar Eng Conf, Anchorage, Alaska, USA, June-July.
- Haynie, W.T. and Hilburger, M.W. (2010), "Comparison of methods to predict lower bound buckling loads of cylinders under axial compression", Proceedings of the 51st AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Orlando, Florida, April.
- Houlsby, G., Ibsen, L.B. and Byrne, B. (2005), "Suction caissons for wind turbines", in Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics: ISFOG 2005, University of Western Australia, Perth, September.
- Hrinda, G.A. (2012), "Effects of shell-buckling knockdown factors in large cylindrical shells", Proceedings of the 53rd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, April.
- Ibsen, L.B. (2008), "Implementation of a new foundations concept for offshore wind farms", Proceedings of the Nordisk Geoteknikermote nr. 15: NGM 2008. Sandefjord, Norway, September.
- Ibsen L.B. and Thilsted C.L. (2010), "Numerical study of piping limits for suction installation of offshore skirted foundations an anchors in layered sand", in Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics II: proceedings of the 2nd international symposium on frontiers in offshore geotechnics, Perth, Australia, November.
- Lee, G.H. and Tran, D.P. (2013), "Buckling behaviors of bucket foundation for offshore wind tower", J. Korean Soc, Coastal Ocean Engineers, 25(3), 123-127. https://doi.org/10.9765/KSCOE.2013.25.3.123
- Lesny, K. (2010), Foundations for offshore wind turbines: tools for planning and design, VGE Verlag GmbH, Essen, Germany.
- Madsen, S., Andersen, L. and Ibsen, L.B. (2013), "Numerical buckling analysis of large suction caissons for wind turbines on deep water", Eng. Struct., 57, 443-452. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.09.041
- NASA (1968), Buckling of thin-walled circular cylinders, NASA SP-8007.
- Noor, A.K. (1992), "Bibliography of monographs and surveys on shells", Appl. Mech. Rev., 43(9), 223-234.
- Odland, J. (1981), On the strength of welded ring stiffened cylindrical shells primarily subjected to axial compression, Technical Report UR-81-15, Division of Marine Structures, The University of Trondheim, The Norwegian Institute of Technology.
- Odland, J. and Faulkner, D. (1981), Buckling of curved steel structures - design formulations, Integrity of Offshore Structures, Applied Science Publishers.
- de Paor, C., Kelliher, D., Cronin, K., Wright, W.M.D. and McSweeney, S.G. (2012), "Prediction of vacuum-induced buckling pressures of thin-walled cylinders", Thin Wall. Struct., 55, 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2012.03.001
- Pinna, R. and Ronalds, B.F. (2000), "Hydrostatic buckling of shells with various boundary conditions", J. Constr. Steel Res., 56(1), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00104-2
- Pinna, R., Martin, C. and Ronalds, B. (2001), "Guidance for design of suction caissons against buckling during installation in clay soils", Proceedings of the 11th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, Stavanger, Norway. June.
- Pinna, R. (2004), Buckling of suction caissons during installation, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Western Australia, Perth.
- Prabu, B., Rathinam, N., Srinivasan, R. and Naarayen, K.A.S. (2009), "Finite element analysis of buckling of thin cylindrical shell subjected to uniform external pressure", Journal of Solid Mechanics, 1(2), 148-158.
- Schmidt, H. (2000), "Stability of steel shell structures: General report", J. Constr. Steel Res., 55(1-3), 159-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0143-974X(99)00084-X
- Simitses, G.J. (1986), "Buckling and postbuckling of imperfect cylindrical shells", Appl. Mech. Rev., 39(10), 1517-1524. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3149506
- Sofiyev, A. (2010), "Buckling analysis of fgm circular shells under combined loads and resting on the Pasternak type elastic foundation", Mech. Res. Commun., 37(6), 539-544. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechrescom.2010.07.019
- Teng. J.G. (1996), "Buckling of thin shells: Recent advances and trends", Appl. Mech. Rev., 49(4), 263-274. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3101927
- Tjelta, T.I. (1995), "Geotechnical experience from the installation of the Europipe jacket with bucket foundations", Proceedings of the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC), Houston, Texas, U.S.A., May.
- Tran, M.N. and Randolph, M.F. (2008), "Variation of suction pressure during caisson installation in sand" , Geotechnique, 58 (1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1680/geot.2008.58.1.1