- Volume 21 Issue 6
In this study, the feasibility of vibration-based damage detection methods for the wind turbine tower (WTT) structure is evaluated. First, a frequency-based damage detection (FBDD) is outlined. A damage-localization algorithm is visited to locate damage from changes in natural frequencies. Second, a mode-shape-based damage detection (MBDD) method is outlined. A damage index algorithm is utilized to localize damage from estimating changes in modal strain energies. Third, a finite element (FE) model based on a real WTT is established by using commercial software, Midas FEA. Several damage scenarios are numerically simulated in the FE model of the WTT. Finally, both FBDD and MBDD methods are employed to identify the damage scenarios simulated in the WTT. Damage regions are chosen close to the bolt connection of WTT segments; from there, the stiffness of damage elements are reduced.
frequency-based damage detection;mode-shape-based damage detection;wind turbine tower structure;Midas FEA
- Atkan, A.E., Farhey, D.N., Helmicki, A.J., Brown, D.L., Hunt, V.J., Lee, K.L. and Levi, A. (1997), "Structural identification for condition assessment: experimental arts", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 123(12), 1674-1684. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1997)123:12(1674)
- Brownjohn, J.M.W., Xia, P.Q., Hao, H. and Xia, Y. (2001), "Civil structure condition assessment by FE model updating: methodology and case studies", Finit. Elem. Anal. Des., 37(10), 761-775. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-874X(00)00071-8
- Catbas, F.N., Gul, M. and Burkett, J. (2008), "Conceptual damage-sensitive features for structural health monitoring: laboratory and field demonstrations", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 22(7), 1650-1669. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymssp.2008.03.005
- Ciang, C.C., Lee, J.R. and Bang, H.J. (2008), "Structural health monitoring for a wind turbine system: a review of damage detection methods", Meas. Sci. Technol., 19(12), 122001-1 -122001-20. https://doi.org/10.1088/0957-0233/19/12/122001
- Doebling, S.W., Farrar, C.R. and Prime, M.B. (1998), "A summary review of vibration-based damage identification methods", J. Shock Vib. Dig., 30, 91-105. https://doi.org/10.1177/058310249803000201
- Devriendt, C., Weijtjens, W., El-Kafafy, M. and Sitter, B.D. (2014), "Monitoring res resonant frequencies and damping values of an offshore wind turbine in parked conditions", IET Renewable Power Generation, 8(4), 433-441. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2013.0229
- Dutton, A.G. (2004), "Thermoelastic stress measurement and acoustic emission monitoring in wind turbine blade testing", Proceedings of the European Wind Energy Conf. EWEC 2004, London.
- Farrar, C.R. and Doebling, S.W. (1997), An overview of modal-based damage identification methods, DAMAS 97 (Sheffield, UK).
- Ghoshal, A., Sundaresan, M.J., Schulz, M.J. and Pai, P.F. (2000), "Structural health monitoring techniques for wind turbine blades", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 85, 309-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00132-4
- Gross, E., Simmermacher, T., Rumsey, M. and Zadoks, R.I. (1999), Application of damage detection techniques using wind turbine modal data, American Society of Mechanical Engineers Wind Energy Symp. (Reno, NV, USA) AIAA 99-0047.
- Hahn, F., Kensche, C.W., Paynter, R.J.H., Dutton, A.G., Kildegaard, C. and Kosgaard, J. (2002), "Design, fatigue test and NDE of a sectional wind turbine rotor blade", J. Thermoplast. Compos. Mater., 15, 267-77. https://doi.org/10.1177/0892705702015003455
- Jang, S.A., Jo, H., Cho, S., Mechitov, K.A., Rice, J.A., Sim, S.H., Jung, H.J., Yun, C.B., Spencer, Jr., B.F., and Agha, G. (2010), "Structural health monitoring of a cable-stayed bridge using smart sensor technology: deployment and evaluation", Smart Struct. Syst., 6(5-6), 439-459. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2010.6.5_6.439
- Joosse, P.A., Blanch, M.., Dutton, A.G., Kouroussis, D.A., Philippidis, T.P. and Vionis, P.S. (2002), "Acoustic emission monitoring of small wind turbine blades", Proceedings of the 21st ASME Wind Energy Symp. in conjunction with 40th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting, Reno, USA, 1-11 & AIAA-2002-0063.
- Kim, J.T., Ryu, Y.S., Cho H.M., Stubbs, N. (2003), "Damage identification in beam-type structures:Frequency-based method vs Mode-shape-based method", Eng. Struct., 25, 57-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(02)00118-9
- Kim, J.T. and Stubbs, N. (1995), "Model uncertainty and damage detection accuracy in plate-girder bridges", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 121(10), 1409-1417. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1995)121:10(1409)
- Kim, J.T. and Stubbs, N. (2003), "Nondestructive crack detection algorithms for full-scale bridges", J. Struct. Eng. - ASCE, 129(10), 1358-1366. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:10(1358)
- Kim, J.T., Yun, C.B. and Park, J.H. (2004), "Thermal effects on modal properties and frequency-based damage detection in plate-girder bridges", Proceedings of SPIE, 5391, 400-409.
- Lee, J.R. and Tsuda, H. (2005), "A novel fiber Bragg grating acoustic emission sensor head for mechanical tests", Scr. Mater., 53(10), 11811186.
- Levin, R.J. and Lieven, N.A.J. (1998), "Dynamic finite element model updating using simulated annealing and genetic algorithms", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 12(1), 91-120. https://doi.org/10.1006/mssp.1996.0136
- Matsuzaki, R. and Todoroki, A. (2006), "Wireless detection of internal delamination cracks in CFRP laminates using oscillating frequency changes", Compos. Sci. Technol., 66, 407-416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compscitech.2005.07.016
- Perez, I., Cui, H.L. and Udd, E. (2001), "Acoustic emission detection using fiber Bragg gratings", Proceedings of the SPIE Smart Structures and Materials-Sensory Phenomena and Measurement Instrumentation for Smart Structures and Materials, USA.
- Shi, Z.Y., Law, S.S. and Zhang, L.M. (1998), "Structural damage localization from modal strain energy change", J. Sound Vib., 285(5), 825-844.
- Sutherland, H., Beattie, A., Hansche, B., Musial, W., Allread, J., Johnson, J. and Summers, M. (1994), The application of non-destructive techniques to the testing of a wind turbine blade, Sandia Report SAND93-1380 Sandia National Laboratories, USA.
- Swartz, R.A., Lynch, J.P., Zerbst, S., Sweetman, B. and Rolfes, R. (2009), "Structural monitoring of wind turbines using wireless sensor networks", Smart Struct. Syst., 6(3), 1-14.
- Yang, Z., Elgamal, A., Abdoun, T. and Lee, C.J. (2001), "A numerical study of lateral spreading behind a caisson-type quay wall", Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics and Symposium, California, USA, March.
- Yun, C.B. and Bahng, E.Y. (2000), "Substructural identification using neural networks", Comput. Struct., 77(1), 41-52. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(99)00199-6
- Yun G.J., Ogorzalek, K.A., Dyke, S.J. and Song, W. (2009), "A two-stage damage detection approach based on subset of damage parameters and genetic algorithms", Smart Struct. Syst., 5(1), 1-21. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2009.5.1.001
- Zhang, H., Schulz, M.J., Ferguson, F. and Pai, P.F. (1999), "Structural health monitoring using transmittance functions", Mech. Syst. Signal Pr., 13, 765-787. https://doi.org/10.1006/mssp.1999.1228
- Parametric FEA modelling of offshore wind turbine support structures: Towards scaling-up and CAPEX reduction vol.19, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijome.2017.05.005
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport (MOLIT)