- Volume 20 Issue 4
Transparent type noise barrier is a desirable facility since it provides a secure view to drivers and passengers. However, reflection from this type of barrier could annoy dwellers on the sides of the road. To reduce reflection noise by transparent type barrier, modification can be made to the shapes on the front side and hence get effects by distortion of sound transmission. To achieve this, we have conducted simulation by which the effects of patterned screens of noise barrier on high-ways were investigated. The reduction effects of reflected sounds were evaluated for swelling, swelling with curved, rectangular and V-shaped screen type barriers, compared to the planar panel. The emitting noise was generated by 6-lane road and the patterned noise barriers had shown the reduction effects, especially in swelling and swelling with curved type for middle height dwellers, and the V-shaped screen type for higher elevation dweller. The swelling-type showed a decrease of 0.7~1.2 dB, performing the best diminution effect among the tested noise barriers.
Curved-Type;Noise Barrier;Panel shape;Reflection noise;Sound Insulation Performance;Swelling-type
- Lee J, Kim E, Park T, Chang S, Kim I. Reduction Effects of Shaped Noise Barrier for Reflected Sound. Journal of Civil & Environmental Engineering 2015;5:171-178.
- Chang GS, Yoon JW, Kim YC, Kim DH. The Study of the experimental evaluation for the interference device on the noise barrier edge. Proceeding of the KNSV Autumn 2001;11:844-848.
- Lee YS, Kim YD, Kim DI, Kim JG. Study on Characteristics of Traffic Noise at Downtown Area and Diminution Methods. Seoul Health and Environment Research Institute Journal 2001;37:255-262.
- Kim YD, Kim JY, Lee SS et al. A Study on the Frequency Characteristic and Soundproof Effect by Noise Barrier. Seoul Health and Environment Research Institute Journal 2004;40:362-269.
- Kim HS, Huh Y. Improvement for Maintenance Management System of Noise Barrier. The Korea Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering 2003;13:570-576. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2003.13.7.570
- Cha SG. A Study on actual maintenance and improvement of noise barrier in Gyeongin Expressway. Proceedings of the KSNVE Annual Spring Conference 2013;4:608-610.
- Joynt JLR, Kang J. The influence of preconceptions on perceived sound reduction by environmental noise barriers. Sci. Total Environ. 2010;408:4368-4375. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2010.04.020
- Hong JY, Jeon JY. The effects of audio-visual factors on perceptions of environmental noise barrier performance. Landsc. Urban Plan. 2014;125:28-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2014.02.001
- Kim DH, Joo SH. An analysis of visual preference in soundproof barriers. Journal of the Korean Institute of Landscape Architecture 2007;36:64-70.
- Hayek SI. Mathematical modeling of absorbent highway noise barriers. Applied Acoustics 1990;31:77-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-682X(90)90054-X
- Steele C. A critical review of some traffic noise prediction models. Applied Acoustics 2001;62:271-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-682X(00)00030-X
- Garg N. and Saji S. A critical review of principal tarffic noise models: Strategies and implications. Environ. Impact Assess. Rev. 2014;46:68-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eiar.2014.02.001
- Saif MAEG, Mahmoud AA. Effectiveness of noise barriers tilted towards the traffic way over bridges. In: International Congress on Sound and Vibration; 2007 July 9-12; Cairns. p. 9-12.
- Jonasson HG. Acoustic Source Modelling of Nordic Road Vehicles. SP Swedish National Testing and Research Institute; 2006.
- Bendtsen H. Noise Barrier Design: Danish and Some European Examples. Danish Road Institute Report; 2010.
- Kragh J, Plovsing B, Storeheier SA, Taraldsen G, Jonasson HG. Nordic Environmental Noise Prediction Methods. Nord2000 Summary Report: Danish Electronics Light & Acoustics; 2002.
- Plovsing B, Kragh J. Nord2000: Comprehensive Outdoor Sound Propagation Model. Part 1: Propagation in an Atmosphere without Significant Refraction. DELTA Acoustics & Vibration Report AV; 2001.
- Soundproof Characteristics of Zigzag-Shaped Panel on Site vol.40, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2018.40.1.15
Supported by : Korea Institute of Civil Engineering and Building Technology, KICT