- Volume 14 Issue 6
Optimization of multi-quality characteristics in injection molded parts is very important, but it is sometimes difficult for part/mold designers. The objective of this study is to develop a practical design methodology for optimizing two-quality characteristics of injection molded parts. To attain this end, we developed a new design-range reduction algorithm based on Taguchi's orthogonal arrays for two characteristics. Then, the algorithm was integrated with commercial injection-molding simulation tools. A feature of the proposed methodology is that it allows field-designers unfamiliar with general optimization methods to be able to apply the methodology to their design problems with ease. Finally, we have applied the proposed design methodology to optimization of weldlines and deflections in an actual bezel model. The results show the usefulness of this methodology.
- Yao, D., "Direct Search-Based Automatic Minimization of Warpage And Weldlines in Injection Molded Parts," A Thesis for a Master, U. of Massachusetts, MA., pp. 1-135, 1998.
- Liao, S. J., Chang, D. Y., Chen, H. J. and Tsou, L. S., "Optimal process conditions of shrinkage and warpage of thin-wall parts," Polym. Eng. Sci., Vol. 44, No. 5, pp. 917-928, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.20083
- Zhou, J. and Turng, L. S., "Adaptive Multiobjective Optimization of Process Conditions for Injection Molding Using a Gaussian Process Approach," Adv. Polym. Technol., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 71-85, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1002/adv.20092
- Chen, W. C., Fu, G. L., Tai, P. H. and Deng, W. J., "Process Parameter Optimization for MIMO Plastic Injection Molding via Soft Computing," Expert Syst. Appl., Vol. 36, pp. 1114-1122, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2007.10.020
- Park, K. and Ahn, J. H., "Design of experiment considering two-way interactions and its application to injection molding processes with numerical analysis," J. Mater. Process. Technol., Vol. 146, No. 2, pp. 221-227, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2003.10.020
- Liu, S. J., Wu, J. Y., Chang, J. H. and Hung, S. W., "An Experimental Matrix Design to Optimize the Weldline Strength in Injection Molded Parts," Polym. Eng. Sci., Vol. 40, pp. 1256-1262, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/pen.11253
- Li, H., Guo, Z. and Li, D., "Reducing the Effects of Weldlines on Appearance of Plastic Products By Taguchi Experimental Method," Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 32, No. 9-10, pp. 927-931, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-006-0411-z
- Mehat, N. M. and Kamaruddin, S., "Multi-Response Optimization of Injection Moulding Processing Parameters Using the Taguchi Method," Polym.-Plast. Technol. Eng., Vol. 50, No. 15, pp. 1519-1526, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/03602559.2011.603776
- Park, C. H., Pyo, B. G., Choi, D. H. and Koo, M. S., "Design Optimization of an Automotive Injection Molded Part for Minimizing Injection Pressure and Preventing Weldlines," Trans. Korean Automot. Eng., Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 66-72, 2011.
- Chen, C. S., Chen, T. J., Chien, R. D. and Che, S. C., "Investigation on the Weldline Strength of Thin-wall Injection Molded ABS Parts," Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transf., Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 448-455, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2007.01.005
- Lee, J. and Kim, J., "Micro Genetic Algorithm Based Optimal Gate Positioning in Injection Molding Design," J. Mech. Sci. Technol., Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 789-798, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02916357
- Zhou, H. and Li, D., "Computer Evaluation of Weld Lines in Injection-molded Parts," J. Reinf. Plast. Compos., Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 315-322, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/0731684405043558
- AlKaabneh, F. A., Barghash, M. and Mishael, I., "A Combined Analytical Hierarchical Process (AHP) and Taguchi Experimental Design(TED) for Plastic Injection Molding Process Settings," Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., Vol. 66, No. 5-8, pp. 679-694, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-012-4357-z
- Su, T. L., Chen, H. W. and Lu, C. F., "Systematic Optimization for the Evaluation of the Microinjection Molding Parameters of Light Guide Plate with TOPSIS-Based Taguchi Method," Adv. Polym. Technol., Vol. 29, No. 1, pp. 54-63, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1002/adv.20181
- Park, J. C. and Kim, B. H., "Automated Mold Design to Optimize Multi-Quality Characteristics in Injection Molded Parts Based on the Utility Theory and Modified Complex Method," J. Korean Soc. Precis. Eng., Vol. 17, No. 9, pp. 210-221, 2000.
- Kim, K. H. and Park, J. C., "Robust Design of Gate Locations and Process Parameters for Minimizing Injection Pressure of an Automotive Dashboard," J. Korean Soc. Manuf. Eng. Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 73-81, 2014.
- Phadke, M. S., Quality Engineering using Robust Design, Prentice Hall, pp. 285-319, 1995.
- Fowlkes, W. Y. and Creveling, C. M., Engineering Methods for Robust Product Design, Addison-Wesley, pp. 371-388, 1995.
- Autodesk, Moldflow ASMI Training Manual, 2012.
- Malloy, R. A., Plastic Part Design for Injection Molding: An Introduction, Hanser Publishers, pp. 75-84, 1994.
- Park, S., Robust Design and Analysis for Quality Engineering, Chapman & Hall, pp. 150-171, 1996.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 금오공과대학교