- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Dual-Halbach Array Permanent Magnet Tubular Generator for Free-Piston Generator
- Beigi, Hassan Moradi Cheshmeh (Electrical Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering, Razi University) ;
- Akbari, Sohrab (Electrical Power Distribution Company)
- Received : 2015.06.24
- Accepted : 2015.09.17
- Published : 2015.12.31
In this study, we describe the effects of changing the magnet shape of permanent magnets (PMs) in a rotor Halbach-array PM generator for reciprocating free piston generator applications. More specifically, the rectangular-shaped magnets were replaced by the trapezoidal-shaped magnets. The initial design, an analytical magnetic field solution of rectangular shaped magnets, is presented and air-gap magnetic flux density and thrust force were estimated. The results were compared to the finite element analysis (FEA) showing excellent agreement. Using FEA, the effect of the shape of the magnets on the flux density and thrust force waveforms is analyzed. Moreover, the proportion of the Halbach array in the machine was optimized by the means of a parametric search. The results obtained from the analytical calculations and FEA were validated by comparing to those of Radial-array PM generator.
- S.-M. Jang and J.-Y. Choi, Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology 2, 221 (2007). https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2007.2.2.221
- J. Wang, M. West, D. Howe, Hector Zelaya-De La Parra, and W. M. Arshad, IEEE Trans. Energy Convers. 22, 299 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.875434
- J. Wang and D. Howe, IEEE Trans. Magn. 41, 2479 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2005.854327
- W. H. Arof, and H. W. Ping, IET Electr. Power Appl. 4, 629 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa.2009.0267
- J. Faiz1, B. Rezaeealam1, and S. Yamada, IEEE Trans. Magn. 42, 2172 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2006.880400
- J. Pan, Y. Zou, and G. Cao, IET Renew. Power Gener, 7, 98 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2011.0274
- W. M. Arshad, Ph.D. dissertation, Royal Inst. Technol., Stockholm, Sweden, 91-7283-535-4 (2003).
- S.-M. Jang, S.-H. Lee, and I.-K. Yoon, IEEE Trans. Magn. 38, 3261 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2002.802129
- J. Wang, D. Howe, and G. W. Jewell, IEEE Trans. Magn. 39, 3517 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2003.819449
- L. Yan and L. Zhang, Progress In Electromagnetics Research 136, 283 (2013). https://doi.org/10.2528/PIER12110302
- M. Abramowitz and I. A. Stegun, National Bureau of Standards, Washington, DC, 10th Printing, 496 (1972).
- W. R. Cawthorne, P. Famouri, J. Chen, N. N. Clark, T. I. McDaniel, R. J. Atkinson, S. Nandkumar, C. M. Atkinson, and S. Petreanu, IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol. 48, 1797 (1999). https://doi.org/10.1109/25.806772
- S. L. Ho, N. Chen, and W. N. Fu, IEEE Trans. Magn. 47, 2947 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2011.2148107