- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on Rod Position Indication System using Permanent Magnets with Shielding Plates for a Control Rod Drive Mechanism
- Lee, Jae Seon (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Cho, Sang Soon (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Jong Wook (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2015.09.25
- Accepted : 2015.12.02
- Published : 2015.12.31
A control rod drive mechanism (CRDM) is an electromechanical equipment that provides linear movement for the control rods to control the nuclear reactivity in a nuclear reactor. A rod position indication system (RPIS) detects the control rod's position. To enhance the measurement accuracy of the system, a magnetostrictive type sensor with capability of generating operation limiting signals would be adapted instead of a conventional RPIS for a CRDM. An RPIS was modelled for a numerical analysis with the permanent magnets at the stationary limit positions and magnetic shielding plates with a moving permanent magnet. The performance analysis of the RPIS were conducted, and the results were discussed here.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- H. Huh, J. I. Kim, and K. J. Kim, Trans. of KIEE, 52D, (2003).
- C. A. Lawson and W. L. Dufek, Position indication system, Patent number 4371496, United States Patent, 1983.
- J. Joule, Annals of Electricity, Magnetism, and Chemistry 8, (1842).
- R. J. Krisst, Magnetostrictive position indicator, Patent number 4071818, United States Patent (1978).
- T. Ishida, S. Imayoshi, T. Yoritsune, H. Nunokawa, M.- A. Ochiai, and Y. Ishizaka, J. Nuclear Sci. and Technol. 38, (2001).
- J. S. Lee, J. W. Kim, and K. K. Kim, Application number 10-2015-0022310, Korea Patent (2015).
- Pr. M. Drljaca, F. Vincent, P.-A. Besse, and R. S. Popovic, Sensors and Actuators, A 97-98 (2002).
- H. Blanchard, F. De Montmollin, J. Hubin, and R. S. Popovic, Sensors and Actuators, 82, (2000).
- User's Guide Maxwell [Online]. Available: http:// www.ansys.com, accessed (2015).
- J. Y. Yu, J. H. Kim, H. Huh, and J. I. Kim, Transactions of the Korean Nuclear Society Spring Meeting (2002).
- Data sheet -Terfenol-D, www.extrema.com/terfenol-d, Extrema Products Inc.
- Study on Magnetic Property for Test Coil and Permanent Magnet vol.26, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4283/JKMS.2016.26.5.154