- Volume 28 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Assessment of Extreme Wind Risk for Window Systems in Apartment Buildings Based on Probabilistic Model
확률 모형 기반의 아파트 창호 시스템 강풍 위험도 평가
- Ham, Hee Jung (School of Urban and Architecture, Kangwon National Univ.) ;
- Yun, Woo-Seok (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kangwon National Univ.) ;
- Choi, Seung Hun (Department of Architectural Engineering, Kangwon National Univ.) ;
- Lee, Sungsu (School of Civil Engineering, Chungbuk National Univ.) ;
- Kim, Ho-Jeong (Department of Architecture, Dankook Univ.)
- Received : 2015.10.13
- Accepted : 2015.10.29
- Published : 2015.12.29
In this study, a coupled probabilistic framework is developed to assess wind risk on apartment buildings by using the convolution of wind hazard and fragility functions. In this framework, typhoon induced extreme wind is estimated by applying the developed Monte Carlo simulation model to the climatological data of typhoons affecting Korean peninsular from 1951 to 2013. The Monte Carlo simulation technique is also used to assess wind fragility function for 4 different damage states by comparing the probability distributions of the window system's resistance performance and wind load. Wind hazard and fragility functions are modeled by the Weibull and lognormal probability distributions based on simulated wind speeds and failure probabilities. The modeled functions are convoluted to obtain the wind risk for the different damage levels. The developed probabilistic framework clearly shows that wind risk are influenced by various important characteristics of terrain and apartment building such as location of building, exposure category, topographic condition, roof angle, height of building, etc. The risk model presented in this paper can be used as tools to predict economic loss estimation and to establish wind risk mitigation plan for the existing building inventory.
Supported by : 국민안전처, 강원대학교
- Architectural Institute of Korea (2009) Korean Building Code-Structural, Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, p.772.
- ASCE (2010) Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures(ASCE 7-10), American Society of Civil Engineers, Virginia, p.608.
- Batts, M.E., Simiu, E., Russell, L.R. (1980) Hurricane Wind Speeds in the United States, J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 106(10), pp.2001-2016.
- Cope, A. (2004) Predicting the Vulnerability of Typical Residential Buildings to Hurricane Damage, Ph.D. Dissertation, Civil Engineering Department, University of Florida, Florida, p.222.
- Ellingwood, B.R., Rosowsky, D., Kim, J.H. (2004) Fragility Assessment of Light-Frame Wood Construction Subjected to Wind and Earthquake Hazards, J. Struct. Eng., 130(12), pp.1921-1930. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2004)130:12(1921)
- Ellingwood, B.R., Tekie, P.B. (1999) Wind Load Statistics for Probability-Based Structural Design, J. Struct. Eng., 125(4), pp.453-463. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1999)125:4(453)
- FEMA (2010) Multi-hazard Loss Estimation Methodology Hurricane model. Technical Manual, Department of Homeland Security, Washington, D.C., p.551.
- Fujii, T. (1998) Statistical Analysis of the Characteristics of Severe Typhoons Hitting the Japanese Main Islands, Mon. Weather Rev., 126(4), pp.1091-1097. https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0493(1998)126<1091:SAOTCO>2.0.CO;2
- Ham, H.J., Yun, W.S., Kim, H.J., Lee, S.S. (2014a) Evaluation of Extreme Wind Fragility for Balcony Windows Installed in Mid/Low-Rise Apartments, J. Korean Soc. Hazard Mitig., 14(01), pp.19-26.
- Kim, J.Y., Kim, H.J., Kim, J.Y. (2015a) Evaluation of Capacities of Windows Systems with Full Scale Mock-up Test, J. Korean Soc. Hazard Mitig., 15(1), pp.57-62. https://doi.org/10.9798/KOSHAM.2015.15.1.57
- Kim, J.Y., Kim, J.Y., Kim, H.J., Moon, K.H. (2015b) Evaluation of Probabilistic Capacities of Old Window Systems in Residential Buildings for Strong Winds, J. Korean Soc. Hazard Mitig., 15(1), pp.09-16.
- Ko, H., Park, Y.K., Lee, D.G. (2009) Fragility Analysis of RC Moment Resisting Frame with Masonry Infill Walls, J. Comput. Struct. Eng. Inst. Korea, 22(4), pp.355-362.
- Lee, J.S. (2012) Understanding of Natural Disasters, Goomibook, South Korea, p.618.
- Lee, K.H., Rosowsky, D. (2005) Fragility Assessment for Roof Sheathing Failure in High Wind Regions, Eng. Struct., 27(6), pp.857-868. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.12.017
- Lee, S.S., Ham, H.J. (2011) Evaluation of Typhoon Risk on Sandwich Panel Building Systems, J. Archi. Inst. Korea, 27(1), pp.77-84.
- Lee, S.S., Ham, H.J., Kim, H.J. (2013) Fragility Assessment for Cladding of Industrial Buildings Subjected to Extreme Wind, J. Asian Archi. & Build. Eng., 12(1), pp.65-72. https://doi.org/10.3130/jaabe.12.65
- Lee, Y.K., Lee, S., Kim, H.S. (2007a) Estimation of Typhoon-Induced Extreme Wind Speeds over Coastal region of Gyeongsangnam-do Province, J. Korean Soc. Hazard Mitig., pp.85-89.
- Lee, Y.K., Lee, S., Park, C.W. (2007b) Analysis on Radii of Maximum Sustained Winds of Typhoons around Korean Peninsula, J. Wind Eng. Inst. Korea, 11(2), pp.203-210.
- Li, Y., Ellingwood, B.R. (2006) Hurricane Damage to Residential Construction in the US: Importance of Uncertainty Modeling in Risk Assessment, Eng. Struct., 28(7), pp.1009-1018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.11.005
- Schultz, M., Gouldby, B., Simm, J. (2010) Beyond the Factor of Safety: Developing Fragility Curves to Characterize System Reliability, US Army Corps of Engineers, Washington, p.50.
- Yun, W.S., Ham, H.J., Kim, H.J., Lee, S.S. (2015) Evaluation of Extreme Wind Fragility of Balcony Window Systems in Apartments, J. Archi. Inst. Korea, 31(4), pp.3-11.