- Volume 20 Issue 4
Combustion instability is a major issue in design and maintenance of gas turbine combustors for efficient operation with low emissions. With the thermoacoustic view point the instability is induced by the interaction of the unsteady heat release of the combustion process and the change in the acoustic pressure in the combustion chamber. In an effort to study the combustion dynamics of gas turbine combustors, Morgans et al (2014) have developed OSCILOS (open source combustion instability low order simulator) code and it is currently available online. In this study the code has been utilized to predict the combustion instability of a reported case for lean premixed gas turbine combustion, and then its prediction results have been compared with the corresponding experimental data. It turned out that both the predicted and the experimental combustion instability results agree well. Further the effects of some typical inlet acoustic boundary conditions on the prediction have been investigated briefly. It is believed that the validity and effectiveness of the open source code is reconfirmed through this benchmark test.
Combustion instability;Gas turbine combustor;Thermoacoustics;OSCILOS;Eigenfrequency;Growth rate
- C. Sensiau, F. Nicoud, M. van Gijzen, and J. W. Leeuwen, "A comparison of solvers for quadratic eigenvalue problems from combustion," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 56, 2008, pp. 1481-1487. https://doi.org/10.1002/fld.1691
- A. Giauque, L. Selle, T. Poinsot, H. Buechner, P. Kaufmann, and W. Krebs, "System identification of a large-scale swirled partially premixed combustor using LES and measurements," Journal of Turbulence, Vol. 6, No. 21, 2005, pp. 1-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/14685240500055012
- Y. Huang and V. Yang, "Dynamics and stability of lean-premixed swirl-stabilized combustion," Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 35, No. 4, 2009, pp. 293-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pecs.2009.01.002
- S. B. Seo, D. H. Ahn, J. H. Park, and D. J. Cha, Analysis of the combustion oscillation in a silotype gas turbine combustor and its suppression, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2012, pp. 1235-1240. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-012-0205-1
- M. Knadler, A. Carmakci, and J. G. Lee, Response of soot temperature to unsteady inlet airflow under modulated condition and naturally-occurring combustion dynamics, ASME Turbo Expo, ASME Paper GT2014-26161.
- S. K. Kim, H. S. Choi, and D. J. Cha, 2010, Development of Helmholtz solver for thermo-acoustic instability within combustion devices, Journal of the Korean Society Propulsion Engineers, Vol. 38, No. 5, pp. 445-455.
- K. T. Kim, J. G. Lee, B. D. Quay, and D. A. Santavicca, "Spatially distributed flame transfer functions for predicting combustion dynamics in lean premixed gas turbine combustors," Combustion and Flame, Vol. 157, No. 9, 2010, pp. 1718- 1730. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.combustflame.2010.04.016
- K. T. Kim, H. J. Lee, J. G. Lee, B. D. Quay, D. A. and Santavicca, in: Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, ASME Paper GT2009-60026.
- K. H. Ahn, W. J. Song, and D. J. Cha, "Determination of an acoustic reflection coefficient of a model gas turbine combustor burner for power generation," Proceedings of KOSCO 2014 Spring Conference, pp. 261-265.
- T. Poinsot and D. Veynante, Theoretical and Numerical Combustion, R. T. Edwards, Philadelphia, PA, 2001.
- T. C. Lieuwen and V. Yang, Combustion Instabilities in Gas Turbine Engines: Operational Experience, Fundamental Mechanisms and Modeling, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, USA, 2005.
- P. E. Dowling and S. R. Stow, "Acoustic analysis of gas turbine combustors," J. of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 19, No. 5, 2003, pp. 751-764. https://doi.org/10.2514/2.6192
- D. J. Cha, J. H. Kim, and Y. J. Joo, "Analysis of the combustion instability of a model gas turbine combustor by the transfer matrix method," Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, Vol. 23, 2009, pp. 1602-1612. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12206-009-0427-z
- C. Pankiewitz and T. Sattelmayer, "Time domain simulation of combustion instabilities in annular combustors," Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 125, No. 3, 2003, pp. 677- 685. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1582496
- J. Pierringer, T. Sattelmayer, and F. Fassl, "Simulation of combustion instabilities in liquid rocket engines with acoustic perturbation equations," J. of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 25, No. 5, 2009, pp. 1020-1031. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.38782
- F. Nicoud, L. Benoit, C. Sensiau, and T. Poinsot, "Acoustic modes in combustors with complex impedances and multidimensional active flames," AIAA Journal, Vol. 45, No. 2, 2007, pp. 426-441. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.24933
- Combustion Instability Characteristics due to the Beating Phenomenon in the Dual Swirl Gas Turbine Model Combustor vol.20, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15231/jksc.2015.20.4.010
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)