- Volume 27 Issue 6
The purpose of this study was to investigate effects of creative personality education on elementary school students' science-related attitudes and science process skills. The experimental group was composed of 301 students Y Elementary school managing Creativity Personality Model School and the comparative group was composed of 231 students G elementary school in G city, Gyungsangnamdo. Before carrying out the study, both groups took the preliminary examination about their science-related attitudes and science process skills. After three months, the experiment group and the comparison group took the post examinations to compare and analyze the results. The results were as follows. Firstly, the averages of science-related attitudes for whole students, and boy students in experimental group statistically meaningfully higher than that of comparative groups, but made no difference for girl students. Secondary, in the case of science process skills, the averages of science-related attitudes for whole students including boy and girl students in experimental group statistically meaningfully higher than that of comparative groups. In light of these, it was thought that creative personality education positively effected on science-related attitude and science process skills.
Creative.personality education;Science-related attitudes;Science process skills
- Ministry of Education(2014). http://www.moe.go.kr/
- Abd-el Khalick, F. & Lederman, N. G.(2000). The influence of history of science courses on students' views of nature of science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 37 (10), 1057-1095. https://doi.org/10.1002/1098-2736(200012)37:10<1057::AID-TEA3>3.0.CO;2-C
- Aktamis, H. & Ergin, O.(2008). The Effects of Scientific Process skills education on Students' Scientific Creativity, Science Attitudes and Academic Achivements. Asia-Pacific Forum on Science Learning and Teaching, 9(1), 1-21.
- Amabile, T. M.(1983). The Social Psychology of Creativity. New York: Springer Verlag.
- Anderman, E. M. & Young, A. J.(1994). Motivation and strategy use in science: Individual differences and classroom effects. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 31(8), 811-831. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660310805
- Becker, B. J.(1989). Gender and science achievement: a re analysis of studies from two metaanalyses. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 26, 141-169. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660260206
- Bennett, J.(2003). Teaching and Learning Science. New York: Continuum.
- Brealwell, G. M. & Beardsell, S.(1992). Gender, parental and peer influences upon science attitudes and activities. Public Understanding of Science, 1, 183-197. https://doi.org/10.1088/0963-6625/1/2/003
- Choi Sang-Deok et. al.(2011). The Study on the Future Strategy of Education for the 21st Century Creative Talent, Korean Educational Development Institute.
- Erdener, N. (2003). Egitimde yaratici dusunme-tasarim ve ongoru yeteneginin gelistirilmesi(recited in Aktamis, H. and Ergin, O., 2008)
- Fraser, B. J. (1978), Development of Test of Science-Related Attitude, Science Eduction, 62(4), 509-515. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730620411
- Fraser, B. J.(1981). Test of Science-Related Attitude (TOSRA). Melbourne: Australian Council for Educational Research.
- Gardner, P. L.(1975). Attitudes to science: A review. Studies in Science Education, 2, 1-41. https://doi.org/10.1080/03057267508559818
- Germann, P. J.(1988). Development of the attitude toward science in school assessment and its use to investigate the relationship between science achievement and attitude toward science in school. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 25(8), 689-703. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660250807
- Gott, R. & Duggan, S.(1995). Investigative Work in the Science Curriculum. Buckingham: Open University.
- Greenfield, T. A.(1996). Gender, ethnicity, science achievement, and attitudes. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 33(8), 901-933. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2736(199610)33:8<901::AID-TEA5>3.0.CO;2-#
- Haladyna, T..Olsen, R. & Shaughnessy, J.(1982). Relations of student, teacher, and learning environment variables to attitudes toward science. Science Education, 66(5), 671-687. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730660503
- Hendley, D..Stables, S. & Stables, A.(1996). Pupils' subject preferences at Key Stage 3 in South Wales. Educational Studies, 22, 177-187. https://doi.org/10.1080/0305569960220204
- Hong, Soon-won & Lee, Yong-seob(2008). The Effects of the Science Process Skill and Scientific Attitudes by Creative Problem Solving. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 27(3), 233-243.
- Hu, W. and Adey, P.(2002). A Scientific Creativity test for Secondary School Students, International Journal of Science Education. 24(4), 389-403 https://doi.org/10.1080/09500690110098912
- Hur Myung(1993). Survey on the Attitudes toward Science and Science Courses of Primary and Secondary Students, Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 13(3), 334-340.
- Isenberg, J. & Jalongo, M.(1997). Creative Expressions and Play in Early Childhood. (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall.
- Jang, Ju-sic, Yoo, Pyung-kil & Kang, Beodeul(2015). A Comparative Study on Creativity.Personality in Creativity.Personality Model Schools and Public schools. The Journal of Fisheries and Marine Sciences Education, 27(2), 467-487. https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2015.27.2.467
- Jegede, O. J. & Fraser, B.(1989). Influence of Socio-cultural Factors towards Science. Researches in Education. 19, 155-163.
- Jovanic, J. & King, S. S.(1998). Boys and girls in the performance-based science classroom: who's doing the performing? American Educational Research Journal, 35, 477-496. https://doi.org/10.3102/00028312035003477
- Joyce, B. A. & Farenga, S. J.(2000). Young girls in science: Academic ability, perceptions, and future participation in science. Roper Review, 22(4), 261-262. https://doi.org/10.1080/02783190009554048
- Jung Ok-bun(2006). Social emotional development, Seoul: Hakgisa.
- Kim, Chan-ki(2004). The effects of Creativity Training Program on Science Process Skills. Master Thesis. Busan National University of Education.
- Kim, Youngshin & Yang, Il-ho(2005). The Factor Analysis of Affecting Elementary Students' Science Attitude Change. Journal of Korean Elementary Science Education, 24(3), 292-300.
- Kind, P. & Kind, V.(2007). Creativity in science education: Perspectives and challenges for developing school science. Studies in Science Education, 43, 1-37. https://doi.org/10.1080/03057260708560225
- Klopfer, L. E.(1971). Evaluation of learning in science. In B. S. Bloom, J. T. Hastings, & G. F. Madaus (Eds.), Handbook of formative and summative evaluation of student learning (pp. 559-642). New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Kwon Jae-Sool & Kim Beom-Ki(1994). The Development of an Instrument for the Measurement of Science Process Skills of the Korean Elementary and Middle School Students, Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 14(3), 251-264.
- Kwon Ji-young(2011). A Study on the Implementation Process of Education Policy - Focusing on the Policy for Creativity and Character Education. The educational Research for Tomorrow. 97-123.
- Lee Gun-hyeun(1992). The Education of Creative Technologist and the Role of Elementary.Secondary School, The Journal of Gifted.Talented Education, 1(1), 17-31.
- Lee, Mee-kyeong & Jeong, Eun-young(2004). A Study on Factors in School Science Influencing Students' Attitudes to ward Science. Journal of the Korean Association for Research in Science Education, 24(5), 946-958.
- Mansfield, R. S. & Busse, T. V.(1981). The Psychology of Creativity and Discovery: scientists and their work. Chicago: Nelson-Hall Inc.
- Mcmillan, J. H. and May, M. J.(1979). A Study of the Factors Influencing Attitudes toward Science of Junior High School Students. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 16, 217-222. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660160307
- Ministry of Education and Science Technology(2011). Creativity․character education self checklist.
- Mordi, C.(1991). Factors associated with pupils" attitudes towards science in Nigerian primary schools. Research in Science and Technological Education, 9, 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1080/0263514910090104
- Nam Yun-sun & Lee Hyeong-cheol(2013). The Effect of Science Lesson Emphasized the Creativity and Character on the Creativity and Science Related Attitudes of Elementary Students. Journal of Science Education, 37(1), 131-141. https://doi.org/10.21796/jse.2013.37.1.131
- Nieswandt, M.(2005). Attitudes toward science: A review of the field. In S. Alsop (Ed.), Beyond cartesian dualism encountering affect in the teaching and learning of science (pp. 41-52). Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer.
- Okebukola, P. A. O. & Jegede, O. J.(1990). Eco-cultural influences on students concept attainment in science. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 27(7), 661-669. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660270706
- Osborne, J..Simon, S. & Collins, S.(2003). Attitude towards science: A review of the literature and its implications. International Journal of Science Education, 25(9), 1049-1079. https://doi.org/10.1080/0950069032000032199
- Parnes, S. J.(1963). Education and Creativity. In P. E. Vernon (Ed.) (1970), Creativity: Selected readings. Middlesex: Penguin Books Ltd.
- Pyo, Ji-won(2011). Effectiveness in Creative Problem Solving of Science Interest, Science Process Skill,and Science Achievement. Master Thesis, Ewha Womans University.
- Rana, R. A.(2002). Effect of Parents, Socioeconomic Status, Students, Self-concept and Gender on Science-related Attitudes and Achievement(Doctoral Thesis). Institute of Education and Research, University of the Punjab, Lahore.
- Reynolds, A. J. & Walberg, H. J.(1992). A Structural Model of Science Achievement and Attitude: An Extension to School. Journal of Educational Psychology, 84(3), 371-382. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-06184.108.40.2061
- Saxena, S. P.(1994) Creativity and Science Education, Creativity and Science Education preservice education program project president; Khandelwal, B.P.(recited in Aktamis, H. and Ergin, O., 2008)
- Schibeci, R. A.(1984). Attitudes to science: An update. Studies in Science Education, 11(1) 26-59.
- Schibeci, R. A., & Riley, J. P.(1986). Influence of students" background and perceptions on science attitudes and achievement. Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 23(3), 177-187. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660230302
- Simpson, R. D. & Oliver, J. S.(1990). A summary of major influences on attitude toward and achievement in science among adolescent students. Science Education, 74(1), 1-18. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730740102
- Song Hyun-Hwa(2014). The Effects of Lesson Using the Creative thinking Techniques on Science Process Skills and Creativity, A master's thesis, Busan National University of Education.
- Stables, A.(1990). Differences between pupils from mixed and single-sex schools in their enjoyment of school subjects and in their attitudes to science and to school. Educational Review, 42(3), 221-230. https://doi.org/10.1080/0013191900420301
- Sternberg, R. J.(1988). Mental Self-government: A Theory of Intellectual Styles and their Development. Human Development, 31, 197-224. https://doi.org/10.1159/000275810
- Sternberg, R. J.(1988). The Nature of Creativity. Creativity Research Journal, 18(1), 87-98.
- Talton, E. L. & Simpson, R. D.(1985). Relationships between peer and individual attitudes toward science among adolescent student. Science Education, 69(1), 19-24. https://doi.org/10.1002/sce.3730690103
- Torrance, E. P.(1988). The Nature of Creativity as Manifest in its Testing. In R. J. Stenberg (Ed), The Nature of Creativity: Contemporary Psychological Perspectives (43-75). New-York: Cambridge University Press.
- Weinburgh, M.(1995). Gender Differences in Student Attitudes toward Science: A Meta-Analysis of the Literature from 1970 to 1991, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 32(4), 387. https://doi.org/10.1002/tea.3660320407
- Weisberg, R. W.(1986). Problem Solving and Creativity. In R. J. Stenberg (Ed.). The Nature of Creativity: Contemporary Psychological Perspectives (148‐176). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Yara, O, P.(2009). Students Attitude towards Mathematics and Academic Achievement in Some Selected Secondary Schools in South Western Nigeria. European Journal of Scientific Research, 36(3), 336-341.
- Ye, R..Wells, R. R..Talkmitt, S. & Ren, H.(1998). Student attitudes toward science learning: A cross national study of American and Chinese secondary school students. Education Resources Information Center. Retrieved from ERIC Number: ED425061.
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 부산교육대학교 교육연구원