- Volume 27 Issue 6
The purpose of this study is to investigate the understanding on the acid-base, acid rain and soil acidification of the elementary students. The participants in the current study were 280 6th graders from a elementary school in Gyeongnam Province. A questionnaire consists of four categories: understanding of (a) acid-base basic knowledge, (b) acid rain and (c) soil acidification. (d) In addition, students were asked to comment about the introduction of the acid rain experiment in the science textbook. The results are as follows; First, the results regarding acid-base basic knowledge. They know the classification, characteristics, and properties of acid-based solutions well but they don't know the acid-base neutralization, examples using properties and application in real life. Second, the results regarding acid rain, students know the definition and damage of acid rain but they don't know the causing substances, emission source and way of solution of acid rain for lack of knowledge. Third, the results regarding soil acidification was the well-known part for the students because they had continued learning about the soil from the lesson of acid rain. Also, we looked into the difference in gender and region about the understanding of acid-base, acid rain and soil acidification. According to the gender of the data about the understanding of acid-base, acid rain and soil acidification, the percentage of correct answers of female was higher than male's. Also we expected that urban students were higher than rural students on the understanding of acid-base, acid rain and soil acidification, but the understanding of urban students were similar to rural students. Fourth, we got positive answers and negative answers to the introduction of acid rain experiment. Most of the positive opinion were I want to know a lot acid rain experiment", followed by "It is possible to prevent the risk of the damage and It seems to having fun and new order. Most of the negative opinion were Acid rain experiment may be difficult and complicated followed by Just a theory in the book is enough, Acid rain experiment were boring and not fun, Acid rain experiment is dangerous, There are many to study in this order.
Acid-base;Acid rain;Soil acidification;Neutralization
- Back, Nam-Gwon(2003). The Conceptions of Pre-service Elementary Teachers about Greenhouse Effect, Ozone layer Depletion and Acid Rain, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 12(4), 367-373. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2003.12.4.367
- Baedecker, P. A.. Reddy, M. M.(1993). Laboratory and Field Investigations. Journal of Chemical Education, 70(2), 104-108. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed070p104
- Bozlee, B. J.. Janebo, M. & Jahn, G.(2008). A Simplified Model To Predict the Effect of Increasing Atmospheric CO2 on Carbonate Chemistry in the Ocean. Journal of Chemical Education, 85(2), 213-217. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed085p213
- Camplbell, D. J..Wright, E. A..Dayisi, M. O.. Hoehn, M. R..Kennedy, B. F. & Maxfield, B. M .(2011). Class Illustrations of Acidic Air Pollution Using Nylon Fabric, Journal of Chemical Education, 88(4), 387-391. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed100604a
- Charola, A. E.(1987). Acid Rain Effects on Stone Monuments. Journal of Chemical Education, 64(5), 436-437. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed064p436
- Do, Jin Young.Cho, Hyen Goo(2013). Study on Deterioration of Stone Monuments Constructed with Carbonate Rock by Acid Rain, The Mineralogical Society of Korea, 26(4), 273-283. https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2013.26.4.273
- Driscoll, J. A..Jones, R. F.(1997). Acid rain Demonstration: The Formation of Nitrogen Oxides as a By-Product Of High-Temperature Flames in Connection with Internal Combustion Engines. Journal of Chemical Education, 74(12), 1424-1425. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed074p1424
- Epp, D. N..Curtright, R.(1991). Acid Rain Investigations, Journal of Chemical Education, 68(12), 1034-1035. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed068p1034
- Goss, L. M..Eddleton, J. E.(2003). A Demonstration of Acid rain and lake Acidification: Wet Deposition of Sulfur Dioxide. Journal of Chemical Education., 80(1), 39-40. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed080p39
- Ha, Heen(1991). What is Acid Rain?. Korea Journal of Environmental Health Science, 1(1), 83-86.
- Han, Jaeyoung.Jeong, Yeongseon & Noh Tae(2000). The Conceptions of High School Students about Acid Rain, Ozone layer, and Green house Effect, Journal of the Korean Association for Science Education, 20(3), 364-370.
- Hoffmann, M..Schleyer, P. R.(1994). Acid Rain: Ab Initio Investigation of the H2O.SO3 Complex and Its Conversion into H2SO4, Journal of American Chemical Society, 116, 4947-4952. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja00090a045
- Hong, Hyo Kyoung(2004). A Study on Improvement of Experiment about 'the Method of making a Neutral Solution' in the Contents of Elementary Science, Master's thesis, Seoul National University of Education.
- Jeon, Yeong-Hwa.Hong, Lansun.Kang, youngjin & Kang, Seong-Joo(2004). An Analysis and Improvement of the Experiment of the Acid-Base Neutralization Reaction, Journal of the Korean Chemical Society, 48(2), 189-194. https://doi.org/10.5012/jkcs.2004.48.2.189
- Jung, Jaehwa.Lee, Hyonyong.Lee, Soojin & Oh YoungJai(2012). Gifted Elementary Students' Understandings about Earth Systems and Environmental Problems, Journal Korean Earth Science Society, 33(7), 672-682. https://doi.org/10.5467/JKESS.2012.33.7.672
- Jung, Won-Kyo(2006). The Understanding of Solid Acidity and the Management of Acidic Soil, Soil and Fertilizer, 25,19-35.
- Kang Sukjin & Ko, Suk-Young(2007). Causes and Damage of Acid Rain, Chemical Education, 34(3), 82-94.
- Kim, Gab-Jung.Lim, Jin-A.Park, SeongJoo.Mun, Hyeong-Tae.Park, Kyeong-Ryang & Lee, In-Soo(1998). Effect of Acid rain in Soil Microorganism, Korean Journal Life Science, 8(3), 299-304.
- Kim, Jong-Choon(2012). Automobile exhaust gas and Acid Rain Snow, Auto Journal, 34(9), 59-61.
- Kim, Joon-Ho(2005). Atmospheric Acidic Deposition:State of Acid Rain in korea and the world. Journal of Ecology and Environment, 12(4), 367-373.
- Kim, Joon-Ho(2007). Acid Rain, Seoul National University Press, Seoul.
- Kim, Sa Dug.Hwang, Jindu & Kang, Dai ill(1998). Effect of Acid Rain on Marble Cultural Properties. Journal of the Korea Society Conservation science for Properties, 7(1), 19-22.
- King, A. G.(2006). Detecting SO2. Journal of Chemical Education, 83(5), 684.
- Ko, Suk-Young & Kang Sukjin(2008). The Problem of Acid Rain, How Do We Solve?, Chemical Education, 35(4), 22-34.
- Lech, J..Dounin, V.(2011). Artistic Anthocyanins and Acid-Base Chemistry, Journal of Chemical Education, 88, 1684-1686. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed1011647
- Lee, Kyong-Jae(1993). The Effect on the Terrestrial Ecosystem by the Air Pollution and Acid Rain, Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment, 9(1), 11-18.
- Lee, Kyong-Jae(1996). Effect of Acid Rain on the Ecosystem. Effective air quality management for Busan Metropolitan City Environmental Symposium, 72-82.
- Lim Sung-Moo.Lee, Dong-Hoon & Park, Byoung-Yoon(2004). Correlations between Soil Acidification and Leaching of Inorganic Salts, Journal of Korean Society for Hygienic Sciences , 10(2), 125-135.
- Lopes, F. S..Coelho, L. H. & Gutz, G. R.(2010). Unraveling the Role of Sulfur Compounds in Acid Rain Formation: Experiments on a Wetted Glass pH Electrode. Journal of Chemical Education, 85(2), 254-255.
- Mamoru Mohri(2008). Science 6. Tokyo Publishing Co Inc., Tokyo.
- Meighan, M..MacNeil, J. & Falconer, R.(2008). Determining the Solubility Product of Fe(OH)3: An Equilibrium Study with Environmental Significance. Journal of Chemical Education, 85(2), 254-255. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed085p254
- Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development(2002). Science 5-2, Elementary School Teacher's Manual. Daehan Publishing Co Inc., Seoul.
- Ministry of Education, Science and Technology(2011). Science 6-1, Elementary School Teacher's Manual, Kumsung Publishing Co Inc., Seoul.
- Moon, Kyung-Han(2005). The Production and the Impact of Acid Rain. Chemical Education, 32(1), 14-19.
- Moyer, R..Daniel, L..Hackett, J..Baptiste, H. P.. Stryker, P. & Vasquez, J(2002). Science 5, 6grade. Macmillan/McGraw-Hill, New York.
- Park, Byoung-Yoon.Uh, Yoon-Woo.Yang, So-Young.Jang, Sang-Moon.Kim, Jung-Ho & Lee, Dong-Hoon(2001). A Study on the Acidification of Soils, Journal of the Environmental Sciences, 10(4), 305-310.
- Park, Kwang-Seo(2004). Science Learning Guidance Using Small-ScaleChemistry, Chemical Education, 31(1), 97-103.
- Park, Kwang-Seo(2009). Experiment of Gas Using Small Scale Chemistry. Chemical Education, 36(1), 63-70.
- Park, Me-Oak(2010). Acidification of the Ocean. Busan newspaper Science column
- Proksa, M..Tothova, A.(2006). Using Balloons for a Dramatic Presentation of the Acid-Bicarbonate Reaction. Journal of Chemical Education, 83(10), 1471-1472. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed083p1471
- Raymundo-Pinero, E..Cazorla-Amoros, D. & Morallon, E.(1999). Catalytic Oxidation of Sulfur Dioxide by Activated Carbon A Physical Chemistry Experiment, Journal of Chemical Education,76(7), 958-960. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed076p958
- Schilling, A. L..Hess, K. R..Leber, P. A. & Yoder, C. H.(2004). A Simulation of the Interaction of Acid Rain with Soil Minerals. Journal of Chemical Education, 81(2), 246-247. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed081p246
- Schilling, A. L..Leber, P. A. & Yoder, C. H.(2009). Exploration of SO2 Scrubbers: An Environmental Chemistry Project, Journal of Chemical Education, 86(2), 246-247. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed086p246
- Solomon, S..Oliver-Hoyo, M. & Hur, C.(1998). Generating Water-soluble Noxious Gases: An Overhead Projector Demonstration, Journal of Chemical Education,75(2), 1581-1582. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed075p1581
- Thompson, S.(1990). CHEMTREK Small-Scale Experiments for General Chemistry, 1990, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.
- Yim, Jin-Hee(1999). A Study on the Effect of Oyster Shell to Improve the Acidic Soil and to evaluate the Affection by Simulated Acid Rain, Master's thesis, Dong-A University.
- Yoh, Soo-Dong.Park, Jong Hwan(1994). The Impact and Solution of Main Environment Pollutant. Chemical Education, 2(1), 22-36.
- Zajicek, O. T.(1985). Why lsn't My Rain as Acidic as Yours?, Journal of Chemical Education, 62(2), 158. https://doi.org/10.1021/ed062p158
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 진주교육대학교