- Volume 50 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on the Functionalization of Waste EPDM and PP Blend
- Chung, Kyungho (Department of Polymer Engineering, University of Suwon) ;
- Kim, Jinhee (Department of Polymer Engineering, University of Suwon)
- Received : 2015.08.18
- Accepted : 2015.09.22
- Published : 2015.12.31
Recycling of ethylene-propylene-diene terpolymer (EPDM) scrap was tried by blending with polypropylene (PP). EPDM scrap powder was prepared by shear pulverization process at high temperature, which may lead to selective chain scission induced by difference in the critical elastic coefficient. On the other hand, EPDM scrap powder was prepared by adding a selected reclaiming agent during shear pulverization process at high temperature. Terpene as a bonding agent was then introduced to improve adhesion property. PP, used as a matrix for manufacturing thermoplastic elastomer, was modified by the incorporation of dicumyl peroxide and maleic anhydride. The functionalized EPDM and modified PP were blended and cured dynamically at
- J. G. Drobny, (Eds.), "Handbook of Thermoplastic Elastomers", William Andrew Inc., New York, 2007.
- S. Amin and M. Amin, "Thermoplastic elastomeric (TPE) materials and their use in outdoor electrical insulation", Rev. Adv. Mat. Sci., 29, 15 (2011).
- S. Abdou-Sabet, "Fifty years of thermoplastic elastomer innovations", presented at the Symposium on Thermoplastic Elastomers, ACS Rubber Division Meeting, October 2000, Cincinnati, OH, USA.
- S. Wang, Q. Wang, X. Wu, and Y. Zhang, "Asphalt modified by thermoplastic elastomer based on recycled rubber", Const. & Building Mat., 93, 678 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.06.047
- S. Ramarad, M. Khalid, C. T. Ratnam, A. L. Chuah, and W. Rashmi, "Waste tire rubber in polymer blends: A review on the evolution, properties and future", Prog. in Mat. Sci., 100, 72 (2015).
- Ceni jacob, A. K. Bhattacharya, A. K. Bhowmick, P. P. De, and S. K. De, "Recycling of Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) Waste. III. Processability of EPDM Rubber Compound Containing Ground EPDM Vulcanizates", J. of Appl. Poly. Sci., 87, 2204 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.11474
- D. Mangaraj, "Rubber Recycling", 1st ed., p. 247, Taylor & Francis, New York, 2005.
- P. W. Bridman, "Effect of high shearing stress combined with high hydrostatic pressure", Physical Rev., 48, 825 (1935). https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRev.48.825
- N. S. Enilolopian, " Some aspects of chemistry and physics of plastic flow", Pure and Appl. Chem., 57, 1707 (1985). https://doi.org/10.1351/pac198557111707
- M. Myhre and D. A. Mackillop, "Rubber Recycling", Rubber Chem. Tech., 75, 402 (2002).
- J. P. Deng, W. T. Yang, and B. Ranby, "Melt-photografting polymerization of maleic anhydride onto LDPE film", European Polym. J., 38, 1449 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-3057(02)00004-6
- C. Yao, S. Zhao, Y. Wang, B. Wang, M. Wei, and M. Hu, "Microbial desulfurization of waste latex rubber with Alicyclobacillus sp.", Polym. Deg. and Stab., 98, 1724 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2013.06.002
- C. Li, Y. Zhang, and Y. Zhang, "Melt grafting of maleic anhydride onto low-density polyethylene/polypropylene blends", Polymer Testing, 22, 191 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9418(02)00079-X
- A. Wirsen, H. Sun, and A. C. Albertsson, "Solvent free vapour phase photografting of acrylamide onto poly(methyl methacrylate)", Polymer, 46, 4554 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2005.03.074
- H. Wang and H. R. Brown, "Atomic force microscopy study of the photografting of glycidyl methacrylate onto HDPE and the microstructure of the grafted chains", Polymer, 48, 477 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymer.2006.11.052
- S. Kiatkamjornwong and C. Nakason, "Rheological and Curing Behavior of Reactive Blending. I. Maleated Natural rubber-Cassava Strach", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 81, 2803 (2001). https://doi.org/10.1002/app.1728
- S. Kiatkamjornwong and C. Nakasonm, "Rheological Properties of Maleated Natural Rubber and Natural rubber Blends", Polymer Testing, 21, 449 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-9418(01)00109-X
- M. C. Goncalves and S. P. Nunes, "In situ Compatibilization of Polyamide 6/Natural Rubber Blend with Maleic Anhydride", Polymer, 41, 5929 (2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-3861(99)00800-9
- J. Choi, S. Kim, K. Chung, J. Chung, T. Yoo, and J. Yang, "A Study on the Mechanical Properties of Surface Activated Waste EPDM and the Analysis of Odor Materials", Elastomer, 42, 249 (2007).