- Volume 50 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Simulation and Experiment of Elastomer Seal for Pneumatic Servo Cylinder
- Hur, Shin (Division of nano-convergence mechanical system, Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials) ;
- Song, Kyung Jun (Division of nano-convergence mechanical system, Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials) ;
- Woo, Chang Su (Division of nano-convergence mechanical system, Korea Institute of Machinery and Materials)
- Received : 2015.08.19
- Accepted : 2015.08.31
- Published : 2015.12.31
The rubber seal is a part inserted into servo cylinder to keep the air pressure constant. In order for efficient movements of the servo cylinder, the frictional coefficient of the rubber seal needs to be minimized while the sealing is maintained. In this work the friction characteristics of rubber seal specimen are tested on metal plate at various conditions. The experimental conditions include roughness level, applied pressure, lubrication, and rubbing speed. The design of experiment approach is taken to assess the effect of each parameter. The nonlinear frictional response of the rubber is applied to the FEM model simulating the servo cylinder movement. The result demonstrates that precise optimization of the servo cylinder movement must be preceded by preliminary experiments coupled with the theory and FEM model.
- Parker Hannifin Corporation, "Fluid Power Seal Design Guide Catalog EPS 5370", 2007.
- G. Belforte, A. Manuello, and L. Mazza, "Optimization of the Cross Section of an Elastomeric Seal for Pneumatic Cylinders", Trans. ASME, 128, 406 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1115/1.2162915
- A. Naderi, K. Albertson, and S. Peng, "Finite Element Analysis of a Hydraulic Seal: BS UCup", Proc. 46th National Conference on Fluid Power, NFPA, (1994).
- R. G. Claus, "Development of a High Performance, Heavy Duty Piston Seal", Proc. 49th National Conference on Fluid Power, NFPA, (2002).
- N. Sombatsompop, "Practical use of the Mooney-Rivlin Equation for Determination of Degree of Crosslinking of Swollen NR Vulcanisates", J. Sci. Soc. Thailand, 24, 199 (1998). https://doi.org/10.2306/scienceasia1513-1874.1998.24.199
- P. J. Flory, "Principles of Polymer Chemistry", Cornell University Press, New York, 1971.
- A. D. Roberts, "Natural rubber science and technology", Oxford University Press, Oxford and New York, 1988.
- L. H. Sperling, "Introduction to Physical Polymer Science", 3rd Ed., p. 74, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.