- Volume 50 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Preparation of Nanosized Gold Particles by Microwave Irradiation and Kinetics Study for Reduction of 4-Nitroaniline under Various Conditions
- Kim, Jae Jin ;
- Ko, Weon Bae
- Received : 2015.09.15
- Accepted : 2015.10.14
- Published : 2015.12.31
Nanosized gold particles were synthesized by microwave irradiation in a mixture composed of potassium tetrachloroaurate(III) n-hydrate, sodium citrate dihydrate and Tween 20. The synthesized gold particles were characterized by UV-vis spectrophotometer, scanning electron microscopy, and X-ray diffraction techniques. Using UV-vis spectroscopy, it was confirmed that gold nanoparticles act as a catalyst in the reduction of 4-nitroaniline with sodium borohydride to form 1,4-diaminobenzene. Additionally, we studied the kinetics of this reductive reaction in the presence of these gold nanoparticles under various conditions.
nanosized gold particles;4-nitroaniline;reductive reaction;catalytic activity
- S. Mayavan, N. K. Dutta, N. R. Choudhury, M. Kim, C. M. Elvin, and A. J. Hill, "Self-organization, interfacial interaction and photophysical properties of gold nanoparticle complexes derived from resilin-mimetic fluorescent protein rec1-resilin", Biomaterials, 32, 2786 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biomaterials.2010.12.030
- Q. Zhou, G. Qian, Y. Li, G. Zhao, Y. Chao, and J. Zheng, "Two-dimensional assembly of silver nanoparticles for catalytic reduction of 4-nitroaniline", Thin Solid Films, 516, 953 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2007.06.012
- N. Alexeyeva, L. Matisen, A. Saar, P. Laaksonen, K. Kontturi, and K. Tammeveski, "Kinetics of oxygen reduction on gold nanoparticle/multi-walled carbon nanotube hybrid electrodes in acid media", J. Electroanal. Chem., 642, 6 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelechem.2010.01.023
- N. Lopez, T. V. W. Janssens, B. S. Clausen, Y. Xu, M. Mavrikakis, T. Bligaard, and J. K. Norskov, "On the origin of the catalytic activity of gold nanoparticles for low-temperature CO oxidation", J. Catal., 223, 232 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2004.01.001
- P. Ghosh, G. Han, M. De, C. K. Kim, and W. M. Rotello, "Gold nanoparticles in delivery applications", Adv. Drug Deliver. Rev., 60, 1307 (2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addr.2008.03.016
- S. Gautam, S. P. Kamble, S. B. Sawant, and W. G. Pangarkar, "Photocatalytic degradation of 4-nitroaniline using solar and artificial UV radiation", Chem. Eng. J., 110, 129 (2005). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2005.03.021
- C. Y. Chiu, P. J. Chung, K. U. Lao, C. W. Liao, and M. H. Huang, "Facet-Dependent catalytic activity of gold nanocubes, octahedral, and rhombic dodecahedra toward 4-nitroanlilne reduction", J. Phys. Chem. C, 116, 23757 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1021/jp307768h
- S. K. Ghosh, M. Mandal, S. Kundu, S. Nath, and T. Pal, "Bimetallic Pt-Ni nanoparticles can catalyze reduction of aromatic niro compounds by sodium borohydride in aqueous solution", Appl. Catal. A-Gen., 268, 61 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2004.03.017
W. Wu, G. Liu, S. Liang, Y. Chen, L. Shen, H. Zheng, R. Yuan, Y. How, and L. Wu, "Efficient visible-light-induced photocatalytic reduction of 4-nitroaniline to p-phenylenediamine over nanocrystalline
$PbBi_2Nb_2O_9$", J. Catal., 290, 13 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcat.2012.02.005
- W. Wu, L. Wen, L. Shen, R. Liang, R. Yuan, and L. Wu, "A new insight into the photocatalytic reduction of 4-nitroaniline to p-phenylenediamine in the presence of alcohols", Appl. Catal. B-Environ., 130, 163 (2013).
W. Wu, S. Liang, Y. Chen, L. Shen, H. Zheng, and L. Wu, "High efficient photocatalytic reduction of 4-nitroaniline to p-phenylendiamine over microcrystalline
$SrBi_2Nb_2O_9$", Catal. Commun., 17, 39 (2012). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catcom.2011.10.012
J. Davarpanah and A. R. Kiasat, "Catalytic application of silver nanoparticles immobilized to rice husk-
$SiO_2$-aminopropylsilane composite as recyclable catalyst in the aqueous reduction of nitroarenes", Catal. Commun., 41, 6 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catcom.2013.06.020
- S. Honary, E. G. Fathabad, Z. K. Paji, and M. Eslamifar, "A novel biological synthesis of gold nanoparticle by enterobacteriaceae family", Trop. J. Pharm. Res., 6, 887 (2012).
- V. Reedy, R. S. Torati, S. Oh, and C. Kim, "Biosynthesis of gold nanoparticles assisted by Sapindus mukorossi Gaertn. Fruit pericarp and their catalytic application for the reduction of p-nitroaniline", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., 52, 556 (2013). https://doi.org/10.1021/ie302037c
- S. Praharaj, S. Nath, S. K. Ghosh, C. Kundu, and T. Pal, "Immobilization and recovery of Au nanoparticles from anion exchange resin: resin-bound nanoparticles matrix as a catalyst for the reduction of 4-nitrophenol", Langmuir, 20, 9889 (2004). https://doi.org/10.1021/la0486281
- S. Kundu, S. Lan, and H. Liang, "Shape-controlled catalysis by cetyrimethylammonium bromide terminated gold nanospheres, nanorods, and nanoprisms", J. Phys. Chem. C, 113, 5150 (2009). https://doi.org/10.1021/jp811331z
- N. Pradhan, A. Pal, and T. Pal, "Silver nanoparticle catalyzed reduction of aromatic nitro compounds", Colloid. Surface. A, 196, 274 (2002).
- K. Hayakawa, T. Yoshimura, and K. Esumi, "Preparation of gold-dendrimer nanocomposites by laser irradiation and their catalytic reduction of 4-nitrophenol", Langmuir, 19, 5517 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1021/la034339l
Supported by : Sahmyook University