- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Operative Treatment of Medial Epicondylitis: A Comparative Analysis of the Clinical Outcomes between the Suture Anchor Group and the Non-suture Anchor Group
- Cheon, Sang Jin ;
- Jeon, Woong Ki
- Received : 2015.10.09
- Accepted : 2015.11.03
- Published : 2015.12.31
Background: The The purpose of this study was to make a comparative analysis of the clinical outcomes after the operative treatment of refractory medial epicondylitis between the suture anchor group and the non-suture anchor group. Methods: We enrolled 20 patients (7 men and 13 women) with recalcitrant medial epicondylitis who were able to receive operative treatment in a minimum of an 18-month follow-up. The mean age was 48.6 years (range, 36-59 years). The patients were allocated into either the suture anchor group (7 patients) or the non-suture anchor group (13 patients). We evaluated clinical outcomes using the visual analog scale (VAS), the pain grading system of Nirschl and Pettrone, and postoperative grip strength. Results: The VAS score decreased from 8.8 to 2.0 for the suture anchor group and from 8.6 to 1.3 for the non-suture anchor group (p=0.16). The postoperative grip strength was 95%, 93% of the non-treated arm in both groups (p=0.32). The postoperative satisfaction level was good in 5 patients and fair in 2 for the suture anchor group and excellent in 5 patients, good, in 4, and fair, in 4 for the non-suture anchor group (p=0.43). The clinical outcomes did not show a statistically significant difference between the two groups. Conclusions: We found that patients with recalcitrant medial epicondylitis were treated reliably with satisfactory clinical outcomes whether or not suture anchors were used. We believe the use of suture anchors when more than 50% of the tendon origin is affected provides an effective and favorable treatment modality.
Elbow;Medial epicondylitis;Suture anchor
- Ciccotti MC, Schwartz MA, Ciccotti MG. Diagnosis and treatment of medial epicondylitis of the elbow. Clin Sports Med. 2004;23(4):693-705. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csm.2004.04.011
- Gabel GT, Morrey BF. Operative treatment of medical epicondylitis. Influence of concomitant ulnar neuropathy at the elbow. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77(7):1065-9. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199507000-00013
- Kurvers H, Verhaar J. The results of operative treatment of medial epicondylitis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77(9):1374-9. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-199509000-00014
- Vangsness CT Jr, Jobe FW. Surgical treatment of medial epicondylitis. Results in 35 elbows. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991;73(3):409-11.
- Thornton SJ, Rogers JR, Prickett WD, Dunn WR, Allen AA, Hannafin JA. Treatment of recalcitrant lateral epicondylitis with suture anchor repair. Am J Sports Med 2005;33(10):1558-64. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546505276758
- Jobe FW, Ciccotti MG. Lateral and medial epicondylitis of the elbow. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 1994;2(1):1-8. https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-199401000-00001
- Nirschl RP, Pettrone FA. Tennis elbow. The surgical treatment of lateral epicondylitis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1979;61(6):832-9. https://doi.org/10.2106/00004623-197961060-00005
- Rosenberg N, Soudry M, Stahl S. Comparison of two methods for the evaluation of treatment in medial epicondylitis: pain estimation vs grip strength measurements. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2004;124(6):363-5.
- Nirschl RP, Ashman ES. Tennis elbow tendinosis (epicondylitis). Instr Course Lect. 2004;53:587-98.
- Ollivierre CO, Nirschl RP, Pettrone FA. Resection and repair for medial tennis elbow. A prospective analysis. Am J Sports Med. 1995;23(2):214-21. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659502300215
- Tschantz P, Meine J. Medial epicondylitis. Etiology, diagnosis, therapeutic modalities. Z Unfallchir Versicherungsmed. 1993;86(3):145-8.
- Descatha A, Leclerc A, Chastang JF, Roquelaure Y; Study Group on Repetitive Work. Medial epicondylitis in occupational settings: prevalence, incidence and associated risk factors. J Occup Environ Med. 2003;45(9):993-1001. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.jom.0000085888.37273.d9
- Deng Y, Tang K, Li H, et al. Short-term effectiveness of suture anchor after debridement of extensor tendon insertion for recalcitrant lateral epicondylitis. Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2013;27(1):1-6.
- Vinod AV, Ross G. An effective approach to diagnosis and surgical repair of refractory medial epicondylitis. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2015;24(8):1172-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2015.03.017
- Alcid JG, Ahmad CS, Lee TQ. Elbow anatomy and structural biomechanics. Clin Sports Med. 2004;23(4):503-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.csm.2004.06.008
Supported by : Pusan National University