- Volume 3 Issue 2
This paper aims to study and design of Organic Rankine Cycle (ORC) Machine using Isopentane as working fluid expanding through Tesla turbine. The study on ORC machine expanding through Tesla turbine has result on the efficiency of Tesla turbine. In addition, Thermodynamics theory on isentropic efficiency proved to be a successful method for overcoming the difficulties associated with the determination of very low torque at very high angular speed. By using an inexpensive experiment device and a simple method, the angular acceleration method, for measuring output torque and power in a Tesla turbine is able to predict a tendency of output work. The experiments using two Tesla turbine sizes, the first size is 1.6 bigger than the second one. In comparison with the first size, the tesla turbine can produce power output more than 62% of the second size. Further study on the machine can be developed throughout the county due to its low cost and efficiency.
Organic Rankine Cycle;Tesla turbine;high angular speed;inexpensive
- Takashisa Yamamoto, Tomohiko Furuhata, Norio Arai, Koichi Mori, "Design and testing of the Organic Rankine Cycles," Science Direct, Vol. 26, pp. 239-251, 2001. DOI:10.1016/S0360-5442(00)00063-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-5442(00)00063-3
- Organic Rankine Cycle:From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, 4 August 2009 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_Rankine_Cycle
- Piotr Lampart, Krzysztof Kosowski, Marian Piwowarski, Lukasz Jedrzejewski, "Design analysis of Tesla micro-turbine operating on a low-boiling medium," Polish Maritime Research, Vol. 16, Special issue 2009/S1, pp. 28-33. DOI: 10.2478/v10012-008-0041-5
- Bertrand Fankam Tchanche, George Papadakis, Gregory Lambrinos, Antonios Frangoudakiss "Fluid selection for a low-temperature solar organic Rankine cycle," Applied Thermal Engineering, Vol. 29, pp. 2468-2476, 2009. DOI:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.12.025 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.12.025
- David Palousek, DESIGN OF TESLA TURBINE, Konference diplomovych praci 2007, Ustav konstruovani, Ustav mechaniky teles, mechatroniky a biomechaniky, FSI VUT v Brne 5. - 6. cervna 2007, Brno, Ceska republika.
- LAIKA, Viktor. Alphabet of small water gears: Tesla turbine [online]. Last revision 1.4.2004 [cit.2007- 03-31]. http://mve.energetika.cz/jineturbiny/tesla.htm
- Absolute Astronomy: Tesla turbine [online]. Last revision 6.10.2006 [cit.2006-06-19]. http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/t/teslaturbine
- G P Hoya and A Guha, "The design of a test rig and study of the performance and efficiency of a Tesla disc turbine," Journal of Power and Energy, 223: 451, 2009. DOI: 10.1243/09576509JPE664 https://doi.org/10.1243/09576509JPE664
- Cairns, W. M. J. The tesla disc turbine, 2003 (Camden Miniature Steam Services, Great Britain).
- Rice, W., Tesla turbomachinery, In Handbook of turbomachinery(Ed. E. Logan), 2003, Marcel Dekker, New York.
- Massey,B., Mechanics of fluids, 8th edition, 2006, Taylor&Francis, Oxon.
- Roddy, P. J., Darby, R., Morrison, G. L., and Jenkins, P. E., "Performance characteristics of a multipledisk centrifugal pump," J. Fluids Eng., Vol. 109, pp. 51-57, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.3242616
- Cengel, Y. A., Thermodynamics, 3rd ed, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1998
- Holman, J.P., Heat Transfer, 8th ed, Singapore: McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- Thawichsri, V. Monyakul, S. Thepa, C. Jivacate and K. Sudaprasert, "A study and design of Organic Rankine Cycle Machine," GMSARN International Conference on Social-Energy-Environmental Development: SEED towards Sustainability, pp. 28-30.
- Experimental study on bladeless turbine using incompressible working medium vol.9, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1687814016686935