- Volume 3 Issue 2
In this paper there is an overview of some standards and security models which are implemented in such an IP-based and heterogeneous networks and we also present some security models in an open environment and finally we obtain that as a result of the nature of 4G networks there are still more security holes and open issues for expert to notice. Our survey shows that a number of new security threats to cause unexpected service interruption and disclosure of information will be possible in 4G due mainly to the fact that 4G is an IP-based, heterogeneous network. Other than that, it tells about the security issues and vulnerabilities present in the above 4G standards are discussed. Finally, we point to potential areas for future vulnerabilities and evaluate areas in 4G security which warrant attention and future work by the research and advanced technology industry.
4G network;security threats;challenges in4G network
- Yongsuk Park, Member, IEEE, and Taejoon Park, Member, IEEE ,"A Survey of Security Threats on 4G Networks",6
- Pablo Vidales, Javier Baliosian, Joan Serrat, Member, IEEE, Glenford Mapp, Frank Stajano, and Andy Hopper," Autonomic System for Mobility Support in 4G Networks, 17
- Hsiao-Hwa Chen, Jie Li, Yang Yang, Xiaojiang Du, and Huaping Liu :Institute of Communications Engineering, National Sun Yat-Sen University, Taiwan Dept. of Computer Science, University of Tsukuba, Japan, Dept. of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, University College London, UK, Dept. of Computer Science, North Dakota State University, USA School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Oregon State University, USA, "Challenges and Futuristic Perspective of CDMA Technologies:OCC-CDMA/OS for 4G Wireless Networks",6
- Kaushal P. Makhecha Saurashtra University: PG Student of EC Department C. U. Shah College of Engg. & Tech.Wadhwan City,Surendranagar-363030,Gujarat (India), Kalpesh H. Wandra Saurashtra University: Prof & Head of CE/IT Department C. U. Shah College of Engg. & Tech.Wadhwan City,Surendranagar-363030,Gujarat (India), 4
- Mahdi Aiash, Glenford Mapp and Aboubaker Lasebae School of Engineering and Information Science, Middlesex University London, UK, Raphael Phan Electronic and Electrical Engineering LoughboroughUniversity, Loughborough, UK," Providing Security in 4G Systems: Unveiling the Challenges",2010,6
- Waqar Hameed, S. Sheikh Muhammad and Noor Muhammad Sheikh * University of Engineering & Technology/ Electrical Engineering Department, Lahore, Pakistan , National University of Computer & Emerging Sciences/ Electrical Engineering Department, Lahore, Pakistan," Integration Scenarios for Free Space Optics in Next Generation (4G) Wireless Networks", 2010,5
- JALAL AL-MUHTADI, DENNIS MICKUNAS, AND ROY CAMPBELL,UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT URBANA-CHAMPAIG," A LIGHTWEIGHT RECONFIGURABLE SECURITY MECHANISM FOR 3G/4G MOBILE DEVICES",6
- N. Seddigh, B. Nandy, R. Makkar J.F. Beaumont Solana Networks Defence Research & Development Canada Ottawa, Canada Ottawa, Canada," Security Advances and Challenges in 4G Wireless Networks",2010,10
- Xiaoming Fu1, Dieter Hogrefe1, Sathya Narayanan2, Rene Soltwisc,Telematics Group,University of Goettingen, GermanyPanasonic Information & NetworkingTechnologies Laboratory, USA," QoS and Security in 4G Networks
- Izmir Institute of Technology, Department of Computer Engineering, Izmir, Turkey, Joint Research Centre, Institute for the Protection and Security of the Citizen, Ispra (VA), Italy," Challenges for the security analysis of Next GenerationNetworks",2011,9
- Liang Zhou a, Athanasios V. Vasilakos b, Naixue Xiong c, Yan Zhang d, Shiguo Lian e," Scheduling security-critical multimedia applications in heterogeneous networks",2011,7
- ITU-R M.1645, "Framework and overall objectives of the future development of IMT-2000 and systems beyond IMT-2000," 2003.http://electronics.ihs.com/document/abstract/BNCFEBAAAAAAAAAA. [Accessed 16. Feb. 2010].
- Zhang and Y. Fang, "Security Analysis and Enhancements of 3GPPAuthentication and Key Agreement Protocol", IEEE Transactions onWireless Communications, Vo. 4, No. 2, March 2005
- Suk Yu Hui, Kai Hau Yeung. Challenges in the, Migration to 4G Mobile Systems. Communications, Magazine, IEEE Volume 41, Issue 12, Dec. 2003, Page(s):54 - 59
- Piyush Gupta, Priyadarshan Patil, "4G-A New Era in Wireless Telecommunication", Master thesis, School of Innovation, Design and Engineering, Malardalen University, Sweden.
- M. Barbeau, "Wimax/802.16 threat analysis", Proceedings of the 1st, ACM international conference on Quality of Service & security in wireless and mobile networks. New York, 2005
- D. Johnston and J. Walker, "Overview of IEEE 802.16 security", IEEE, Security & Privacy, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 40-48, May/June 2004.
- Y. Park and T. Park, "A survey of Security Threats on 4G Networks", IEEE Globecom Workshop on Security and Privacy in 4G Networks, November 2007, Washington, DC.
- P. Rengaraju et al, "Analysis on Mobile WiMAX Security", IEEE TICSTH, Conf - Symposium on Information Assurance, Sept 2009, Toronto
- T. Han, N. Zhang, K. Liu, B. Tang and Y. Liu, "Analysis of mobile WiMAX security: Vulnerabilities and solutions", 5th IEEE Int Conf on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems, Sept 2008, Atlanta
- A. Deininger et al, "Security Vulnerabilities and Solutions in Mobile WiMAX", Int Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, Vol. 7 # 11, Nov 2007
- C. Huang and J. Chang, "Responding to Security Issues in WiMAX Networks", IT Professional, Vol 10, Issue 5, Sept-Oct 2008.
- "WiMAX: Standards and Security", ed: S. Ahson and M. Ilyas, CRCPress, 2008
- C.B. Sankaran, "Network Access Security in Next Generation 3GPP Systems: A Tutorial", IEEE Communications Magazine, Feb 2009.
- D. Forsberg, et al, "Enhancing security and privacy in 3GPP E-UTRAN Radio Interface", The 18th IEEE International Symposium on PIMRC, Athens, Sept 2007.
- F. Ricciato, P. Svoboda, et al, "On the Impact of Unwanted traffic onto a 3G network", FTW. Tech Report, Feb 2006.
- Hassan Gobjuka, "4G Wireless Network: Opportunities and Challenges, Herizon, 2009.
Supported by : Korea Small and Medium Business Administration